All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-07-2011, 12:08 PM

midinotes is on a distinguished road
Question Best way to backup settings etc on my Nokia E6-00 (Mac owner)?

Having now spent countless hours configuring my new Nokia E6-00 along with the profiles, Nokia situations, camera settings and so on, I would feel happier if I could take a snapshot of the phone as a data backup. I own a Mac so currently I have the rather buggy Nokia multimedia transfer app for music/photo/video transfer (although I prefer to use Double Twist) and the nokia file transfer app. Is it sufficient to just copy everything from the phone memory, mass storage and memory card to my computer as a backup and then copy back if necessary? Or is there a better way to do this?

Suggestions most welcome!

Thanks
Simon
Ads

Old 28-07-2011, 03:15 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Copying "everything" is not sufficient, as you can't access and copy everything as files.

If the E6-00 is like older Symbian/S60 phones, the "Memory" app on the phone has an option to backup the contents to a memory card. Then, on the memory card you will find a backup.arc file, which you can then copy and save.

I'd also get and save any app installation files separately, as well as photos and music + synchronize contacts and email with a network service.