All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-12-2008, 04:35 PM

Jeth01 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy E71 restore - missing many apps!

Hi,
So I had my first nasty experience with s60 last night. My active standby (home) screen got into some kind of loop. It kept trying to refresh itself, and I couldn't select anything on the screen, or use the home key to go to the folders. Rebooting didn't fix anything, so I decided to restore from my latest backup.

I use the backup in the Nokia PC Suite. First I did a hard reset of my device. Then I connected it to my pc and started the restore. I got my home screen back correctly, and some of my apps. But many of them are not there. Also I had my apps organized into folders. The folders are there, but the apps are not in them. (Only some of them - very strange.) Most of them ended up back in the "Installations" folder.

There are many apps that did not get restored, and they are no longer in the list in the app manager. Does anyone know why it didn't restore everything? Or is it that they were never backed up? When I did the backup, I said to do everything. Do I need to get some 3rd party app to get a real complete backup?

I had some important data in a couple of those apps, so this really sucks if that information is gone. :(

FYI - it looks like I did get all my contacts, calendar entries, and messages. Just several of the 3rd party apps were not restored. But some of them were, so that's what I don't understand.

p.s. Does anyone know of a good backup tool that will backup EVERYTHING to the SD card so that you can do a restore on-the-fly? Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:27 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Sorry for the lengthy mail, but hope you can help me to resolve your issue

Could you please provide some details

1) Type *#0000# and paste the information to this forum
2) Does the applications you have backup-ed is DRM protected ???
3) Is it that the data present on the memory card didnt restored properly to your phone????
4) What about the data that was present on your phone memory? Does it got restored successfully???
5) Have you checked the acknowledgement provided by Content Copier after it restored on your phone?

If only your memory card contents are not restored try to restrore only those contents alone again to your phone so that duplicates wont be there. Since you can select only the content which you want to restore option, kindly restore which was not restored earlier

6) On your own risk you can try for an application called noki, which will be useful to view the contents of your backup file. You can download it from http://nokisoft.com/

7) Kindly give the versions of the PC Suite you have used, PC Operating details, Service Pack, Connectivity you are using on your phone USB, Bluetooth etc.,

Thanks in advance,

Wishing you great happy weekend Merry Xmas and Have a prosperous New Year 2009

Old 07-12-2008, 09:35 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Symbian does not by default back up applications. The appliation develoiper has to explicitely enable the Symbian backup engine to do so. Many developers seem to ignore (not understand) this, and thus backup/restore doesn't work for them. Reinstall such apps (and you could also notify the developer that they should release an app update that works with the Symbian backup/restore, too).

Old 08-12-2008, 09:25 AM

mikezs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Symbian does not by default back up applications. The appliation develoiper has to explicitely enable the Symbian backup engine to do so. Many developers seem to ignore (not understand) this, and thus backup/restore doesn't work for them. Reinstall such apps (and you could also notify the developer that they should release an app update that works with the Symbian backup/restore, too).
The backup is also incredibly easy to do. A single XML file that is packages in the .sisx is all that is needed!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Jeth01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Wow, that is surprising. Thanks for the info. So is there no program out there that will backup everything?

On my old Treo, I had a little app that just set the "backup bit" on any app, so then it would be included in the Palm backup process. I also had an app that would backup everything not in ROM to the SD card. I can't believe something like this doesn't exist for s60. Is that true?

Thanks.
Ads