All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 AM

hell_storm2004 is on a distinguished road
Nokia Backup Restore Query.... Urgent... HELP....

Hi Everyone,

I have Nokia N73ME. I have my messages stored in the memory card. Yesterday when i tried to empty my Lifeblog entries I found out it deleted my messages also from my memory card!!!! I had approximately 1600 messages in my phone and about 700 got deleted!!! I had backup my data about 20 days ago which has approximately 1200 messages backed up. So if i restore the data from the backup file will i get back the 700 messages back? and also would i loose all new messages that are in my phone since my last backup? Please help.

Old 18-09-2008, 09:45 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Hi hell_storm2004,

You have not mentioned about your PC suite version which you are using on your PC.

To check your issue, i have tried to did backup of a Nokia N 82 and when i tried to restore to the same Nokia N 82, Nokia PC Suite 7.0.8.2 version, Content Copier version 4.0 had come up with this warning message before restoring the message .

Note that the restoration erases all existing data from the selected sections in your phone and replaces it with data from this backup file.

So chances are more for your existing data may be deleted from your phone. So some of the options what you can do is ( i dont know which Nokia PC Suite you are using on your PC?). I have installed Nokia OVI Suite as well Nokia PC Suite 7.0.8.2 on my PC. Nokia PC Suite 7.0.8.2 has an application called Nokia Communication Centre 1.0 which is an editor for Messages and Contacts on your phone with PC. Good Application ( but with some bugs) Using this Communication Centre, you can store all your messages to your PC. If you want to store single message you can store it as .vmg format but if you have got bulk messages as you said 700 odd what you can do is select all the messages (which are currently on your phone) and store it as .csv format. Atleast your messages will be stored safely on your own PC. Because, i dont know if the saved messages(on PC) can be imported to the phone back again I am really sorry for the same. But to have your all messages safely, it is better to save the messages currenly on your phone to the PC using Nokia Communication Centre. Anyhow your having the backup of 1200 messages on your pc earlier tooo You can also check an application called Noki from the following site http://www.nokisoft.com/ So before doing whatever take some cautious steps before, you can also do some googling before you proceed for any action. Best of Luck Lets us all your messages be safe on your PC atleast

First with the help of Noki try to check if you can have all your messages intact on your PC. Then if you are ready to take risk, you can restore those messages (original 1200 messages) to the phone. But there is no 100% guarantee all your messages will be restored to your phone ..... You can have both the PC suites installed on your PC (Nokia PC suite 7.0.8.2 and NSeries PC Suite 2.0.262 / Nokia OVI Suite 1.0.x) so that you can get benefit of both the PC Suites at a same time

Old 18-09-2008, 10:32 AM

hell_storm2004 is on a distinguished road
I have the Nokia PC Suite Version 7.0.8.2. Thanks for all the help.... What does this Noki and Nokia OVI suite do??? I will try it this weekend. Should i first try with my older PC suite version with came with the mobile to check if i get the same message or not? I had this problem because i tried to delete my Lifeblog entries and it simultaneously deleted all my messages stored in "My Folders"!!! How can i remove this direct link between my Messages and Lifeblog???
Ads

Old 19-09-2008, 11:18 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Noki is a utility to explore and extract SMS, phone book, calendar, memo, bookmark and other user files from the backup file of Nokia phone (using Nokia PC suite). The Noki-extracted info can be saved in text, Excel .xls or Html file which is much accessible than the original binary format (.nfc, .nfb, .nbu, or Contacts.cdb).

Nokia OVI Suite is a brand new OVI Suite mainly for NSeries USers. It will have more features in near future. You can sync your phone contacts, calenders, photos etc with OVI.com. Share your pics/videos/ and sync calender/contacts online.

Before trying to anything new, kindly have all your data saved safely on the PC. New data or old data keep a backup safe on your PC. One more thing what you can do is in Nokia Lifeblog you have an option called backup in Tools. You can have this backup of Lifeblog too on your pc, this is because, Nokia has come up with application called NOkia photos which may replace existing Nokia lifeblog in the future. With the lifeblog backup file you can restore those data to Nokia Photos tooo Cooolllllll You can always sync your sms/audio/video files with Nokia photos Thanks Nokia

Hope this may help you Try out new OVI Suite (dont forget you can have Nokia PC Suite 7.0.8.2 also installed on your PC )and Nokia photos on your PC. Let this forum know your feedback regarding the same .... Have a nice week end