All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Is your battery draining too fast?

Interesting article at link:

Hackers are starting to target smartphones (Blackberries in this article), but I wonder if there is anything to watch out for in the S60 5th Edition world.

I've always distrusted free games and junkware from the internet.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-...sec_2009-10-12

Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 PM

bacardiandwater is on a distinguished road
You could always get the kaspersky antivirus if you are worried... I think in the past some spyware snuck through and got signed, but their license was revoked.
Ads

Old 13-10-2009, 10:51 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
With my Nokia 9300 I had the Symantec Security product (firewall and antivirus) but it never flagged a thing. It just seemed to slow the 9300 down.

When the two year license expired I didn't renew it--mainly because they never had any updates to the virus signatures.

The most annoying thing is that their update process required you to hook up the 9300 via USB cable in an IP pass-through mode to a desktop computer (very poor software driver by Nokia on this one) in order to connect to their server--half the time it would run for a half-hour before it would time out and say that no updates were available, the other half of the time it would never come back at all.

I sure wish there was a product like TaskSpy for the N97...where you could look at each and every process, subprocess and thread to determine just what all is running under the hood of the N97.

Old 13-10-2009, 11:46 AM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Hi

F-secure have a 7 day trial download which will protect and scan device.Might give a little peace of mind.

link:http://www.f-secure.com/en_UK/downlo...ersions/mobile

Boothy

Old 02-11-2010, 02:09 AM

chiobes is on a distinguished road
I recently bought N8. I've been a Nokia fan since 1998 and loved the capabilities and to take full control of my nokia phones. I had N95 before I bought this N8. N95 works perfect as N95(s60v3) untill now. My N8 works fine. Impressive 12MP camera and the super crispy clear 720HD Video. Browser is fine, capacitive touch screen is not as dedicated as the iphones, speaker is loud, but the hole is too small that when it gets cover just a little bit like if your phone is in your pocket, you can hardly hear it ring. auto screen rotation is not as smooth as the iphone. Pintch to zoom is also not as smooth. Pintch zoom on the map doesn't work. the said "multi-touch" is not as multi as the iphone. you can click 4 fingers at one time on the iphone. N8 will only recognize 1 touch at a time. This means if you wanna type fast, N8 will miss alot of what you're typing, you'll end up retyping a bunch of words. Bottom line, N8 is not as smooth and stable as iPhone. N8 is not REAL "multi-touch". N8 touch is not dedicated.

I thought N8 would be the phone that iphone users would envy me about, but it ended up the opposite way. I regret I could have bought an iPhone instead! I have a real-deal 14MP camera lying here on my table... why did I go for the iphone?

If you plan to buy a phone that has amazing impressive camera and phone that you can fully take control of, then go for the N8. If you want to have a phone for SMS, Net surfing (will automatically connect to network and burn your phone bill), typing, cool free apps, then go for the iPhone.