All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 AM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
dm extension files

Appreciate advise on how to install files with dm extension. I purcased an application from Ovi store some months ago. Due to problems with my N97, it was replaced twice. This resulted in my IMEI to change too. I was not able to re-install the application from Ovi store as I had reached my download limit. So contacted Nokia and they sent me a link for that application. Initially I downloaded it to my PC and tried to installed it using PC Suite but not sucessful. So tried the link directly on my phone and the application was installed. I want to know if the need arises later, how do I install this application on to my N97 using the file with the dm extension which is on my PC. Thank you.
Ads

Old 01-01-2011, 11:31 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The .dm file is an OMA DRM (Digital Rights Management) package that contains the original (installation) file.

Without doing anything to the file itself, you could put it up on a web server (e.g., running on your PC) that sends the correct MIME headers for .dm files, and download it via the phone's browser (over WLAN/Wi-Fi).

Alternately, search the net for ways to remove the .dm wrapping of the original file to extract the original file contents from within the .dm file.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 AM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply, N/A. I will try your advise on finding the ways to remove the dm wrapping on the original instllation file.
Update: Found one site, www.techlivez.com .

Last edited by ajeet; 02-01-2011 at 11:51 AM.