All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
N97 User No More

After owning an N97 for almost 8 months, I finally had enough and got rid of it. Although the new Opera Mini 5.1 beta made my phone usable for a short while, the many problems with the weather app finally did it for me. I just did not want to suffer though the errors and work arounds any more.

I was hoping to hold on to my N97 until next year. I had narrowed my choices down to the E7 or the Desire Z. Alas, I decided to pull the plug on my N97 last weekend. The Desire Z had just been released here in Canada and I pulled the trigger.

I'm afraid Nokia had been too slow to release the E7. Both the E7 and Desire Z were announced on the same day. HTC was just faster to market and that was a big factor in my decision to go with the Desire Z.

I've been very satisfied with my experience the first week of owning a Desire Z. Everything just worked without any issues. That is something I could not say about the N97. In may 7+ months of owning an N97, I haven't had a week free of any errors with the N97. I just got used to dealing with them.

Before I say my final farewell to the N97, I would like to say a few good things about it. The reason I got the N97 in the first place was for the GPS functionality. It worked admirably when I did some travelling this summer. One of the best features was the lane indicators while driving. The voice quality of the N97 was also very good and a bit better the Desire Z. The tilt screen was also a really nice feature and makes it easier to view while the phone is resting on a table. Finally, the N97 survived many drops and kept on working. The hardware of the N97 is very good. Unfortunately, it was undermined by buggy software.

Old 23-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
Same here, ditched the N97 for a Desire HD

Old 06-12-2010, 03:46 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
It had its good points..

..but the same repetitive annoyances always hid them.

For me GPS reliability (despite having a GPS repair) and no space on C: drive were the main ones.

others were the laggy nature of the os and the tendency for the flash to flood the camera lens with light and spoiling night shots.

Got a Desire HD and have to say i would be very unlikely to consider a Nokia again for a very long while after experiencing its speed, smoothness and reliability.

I did love the form factor though and it was drop proof!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 PM

jmcgrath is on a distinguished road
I am also in the process of ditching my N97 for an iPhone and I should have the iPhone before Christmas.

I've had a N95, N96 and the dreadful N97 and I cant put up with it any longer. I had thought about the Desire HD but the volume of business apps on the iPhone has been the deciding factor.

I briefly thought about the N8 - but that was very brief!

Good luck to all who continue with the N97.

Regards,

John

Old 11-12-2010, 12:36 AM

fatty5000 is on a distinguished road
Mines been gone since september.

Got a desire now, a smart phone which is actually smart !!!!

Which is nice

Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I ditched the N97 back in april, after 10 months of frustrated ownership. Have been using an E72 since, which I find much much better.

Sadly, the N97 has put me off touch screen phones, and at the moment, I just don't like the concept of them, will stick to the qwerty format for now, and the N8 just did not interest me at all. Might have a look at the N9 when that comes out, but wills till have reservations about it.

No wonder this specific forum is dwindling, the N97 owners now have mostly moved on to other devices.
RM-530
E72-1
Ads

Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Due to financial set-backs this year, I am "stuck" with my N97.

It will NEVER be a phone to impress anyone in terms of speed, response, eye-candy, etc. but I have come to the realization that it is fairly utilitarian.

I operate mine one-handed, typically with my left thumb while doing other things--so in meetings, I can consult email, calendar, etc while not having to stop taking notes (the old-fashioned way--on paper!) unlike the iPhone users who have to stop what they're doing and use BOTH hands with the ever-so-gentle finger flicks to do anything. As a mostly one-handed phone it convenient to use while out walking the dog, in the shopping line, etc.

I am however disappointed in the "features" in the last firmware revision--the random rainbox screensaver with subsequent reboots, the dropped data lines ("SERVER NONEXISTENT"), the GPS "hop-skip-and-a-jump" 30 meter offsets.

But one useful feature, probably a *MUST* for Finland (the N97's "home") is the hand-warmer feature--no other phone out there has it!! You will never suffer frostbite while using the N97! The whole phone/battery puts out significant warmth while using it.

Looking forward to the much-rumored "FINAL" firmware update--I hear that it has an Edsel-theme built-in!

Old 13-12-2010, 08:00 AM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
I operate mine one-handed, typically with my left thumb while doing other things--so in meetings, I can consult email, calendar, etc while not having to stop taking notes (the old-fashioned way--on paper!) unlike the iPhone users who have to stop what they're doing and use BOTH hands with the ever-so-gentle finger flicks to do anything. As a mostly one-handed phone it convenient to use while out walking the dog, in the shopping line, etc.
Don't know about the iPhone, but I find one handed use is also possible with the Desire Z. I often use it while waiting in line as well.

Quote:
But one useful feature, probably a *MUST* for Finland (the N97's "home") is the hand-warmer feature--no other phone out there has it!! You will never suffer frostbite while using the N97! The whole phone/battery puts out significant warmth while using it.
lol. I thought that the N97's resistive touch screen can be operated while wearing gloves. I live in Vancouver, Canada and the weather does not often get cold enough to make me want to wear gloves or need to warm my hand.

Old 15-12-2010, 03:21 PM

grantward is on a distinguished road
I ditched it for the iphone 4

Last week I received my iPhone 4 and even though I have never owned an Apple product, the phone is just so easy to use. The N97 just too pedestrian and sloppy with basic functions. Sometimes, the Messages application gets reset to the C: drive, which is very annoying.

The N95 was lovely, but I don't know what they did wrong with the N97. Ovi is dead compared to iTunes. The trouble is that now that I left the Nokia brand, it'd take so much more convincing to go back there.

It's sad because I like the idea of supporting a Nordic brand.