All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-04-2008, 08:18 AM

m.r.davies is on a distinguished road
car stereo - music over bluetooth ?

Hi

I have an n95 classic, and a standard Leon Cupra R head unit

I want to play music on my n95 and it play on the stereo without any wires
the obvious answer is bluetooth.

I was thinking about getting a Becker GrandPrix head unit that has bluetooth on it, but i'm not sure if it will work as its just for the phone calls afaik

is there anything i can get for the standard HU or could someone let me know if they have looked into this previously?

thanks
Mark

Old 07-04-2008, 09:14 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
The head unit will need to support A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) which allows the playing of stereo audio over bluetooth. I would suspect the factory unit only supports bluetooth for voice usage. You could try to find an A2DP headunit or, if your existin one has auxiliary RCA inputs, get something like this:
http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/sho..._productJJ3646

Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 AM

Aurial is on a distinguished road
Have a look at the Nokia CK-20W Multimedia Car Kit, this is what I have.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:10 PM

lovesign is on a distinguished road
I recently installed a Sony MEX BT-2600 head unit and it works brilliantly with my N95. Music streams effortlessly and the quality is great. All calls are handled with ease, pausing the music and switching automatically. Even handsfree voice dialling works great.

I run TomTom (using external BT GPS) with Music Player in the background and make calls all at the same time. The head unit also has a steering wheel remote socket, if your car has those options and it also supports the bluetooth remote control protocol which allows you to control playback (pause, FF, REW, etc) on the phone from the headunit.

Add all this to a really good head unit that supports MP3/WMA playback from CD, has a front aux in if you need it and a fully featured RDS radio. It also has RCA pre outs and a separate sub out too.

I got mine from this online store. I can vouch for their service and speed of delivery.

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...rtno=MEXBT2600

Can't recommend it highly enough

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example

V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6

Old 07-04-2008, 09:30 PM

wow, lots of food for thought, cheers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurial View Post
Have a look at the Nokia CK-20W Multimedia Car Kit, this is what I have.
Aurial, tell me a bit more about this, is this a handsfree kit, audio streamer?
what cool stuff can i do with it?

that sony head unit sounds good, but i was thinking of getting a becker headunit, however, the idea of controlling music player via the headunit sounds very appealing, would it also display the track names etc....are there any other solutions out there that allow you to control the N95 music player via the headunit?

thanks guys, keep that info coming!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 AM

jinx405 is on a distinguished road
yeah i was looking at this option as well, and i did get a chance to check out the sony head unit mentioned above. it is really easy to connect your phone to it, and its an added bonus that you can see the track artist etc on your head unit.

however, i found another player that i liked better - its by JVC, and the extra functions (that the sony doesnt have, if i'm not mistaken) is having the option to view your contacts via your head unit, which means you can also make calls thru it. and, you can also view sms's, but i dont remember how you actually reply to an sms thru the head unit

also, its worth noting that the JVC units generally sound better, but that also depends on your setup(amplifiers, etc)..

there's a few models available, and they differ depending on which country you are in. i'll link the american sites here:

cheapest(not as many features):
jvc kd-bt-1 or kd-bt11j
http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?pr...1300&pathId=54

top of the line(costs a bomb, but you'll definitely fall in love with these ones):
kd-adv49;
http://mobile.jvc.com/Aproduct.jsp?m...hId=143&page=2

kd-avx44(australian site);
http://www.jvc-australia.com/JVC/cli...=28&prodID=369

p.s. the features might have slightly changed with these units, as i found out abt the features mentioned above a few months ago. feel free to drop me a line if you have any more questions! i hope i helped

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks

I'm interested in finding out more about the Nokia CK-20W

Can anyone else tell me some of its features and what its like to use on a daily basis?

thanks
Ads

Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Hello mate, sorry for the late reply.

It is both a handsfree kit and it streams audio via bluetooth. It comes with a little remote commander unit which you can stash away somewhere if you like and can use it to change tracks, activate voice dialing, change the phone volume, accept and decline/hang-up calls.

It has a small control box which is quite easy to hide away, and everything plugs into this (microphone, remote commander, connection to car stereo) and you can also plug in a cable which will charge the phone and a line in so you can connect an ipod or some other source.

Unfortunately the stereo I have in my car does not accept a mute cable (something to check on your own unit before purchase) and so I had to buy a special adapter cradle which mutes the stereo. The problem is the cable I bought was cheap and nasty so the sound quality of music when I play it via bluetooth isn't that great. This is not the fault of the car kit, if you read any reviews they're all very positive.

The kit was pretty easy to fit myself and it is very easy to conceal all of the parts so no one can see them.

On another note, I have also been looking into the Sony BT units and noticed that the latest model for 2008, the BT5100, is available on ebay for about £179. RRP is £299. Worth a look.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Hello mate, sorry for the late reply.

It is both a handsfree kit and it streams audio via bluetooth. It comes with a little remote commander unit which you can stash away somewhere if you like and can use it to change tracks, activate voice dialing, change the phone volume, accept and decline/hang-up calls.

It has a small control box which is quite easy to hide away, and everything plugs into this (microphone, remote commander, connection to car stereo) and you can also plug in a cable which will charge the phone and a line in so you can connect an ipod or some other source.

Unfortunately the stereo I have in my car does not accept a mute cable (something to check on your own unit before purchase) and so I had to buy a special adapter cradle which mutes the stereo. The problem is the cable I bought was cheap and nasty so the sound quality of music when I play it via bluetooth isn't that great. This is not the fault of the car kit, if you read any reviews they're all very positive.

The kit was pretty easy to fit myself and it is very easy to conceal all of the parts so no one can see them.

On another note, I have also been looking into the Sony BT units and noticed that the latest model for 2008, the BT5100, is available on ebay for about £179. RRP is £299. Worth a look.
thanks for that, a pretty comprehensive reply!

Whats it like on a day to day basis?
can you start playing tracks from the device or do you need to use the phone to press play,
can you scroll through albums too or just tracks?

So would i put connect this device to the line in on my stereo, and if i'm listening to the radio, would it switch to the line in channel....i'm a bit confused how the mute bit works

cheers

Old 08-04-2008, 03:20 PM

I get along with it pretty well. Unfortunately you can't start playing the tracks from the device itself although (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think most of the solutions do this. The problem lies with starting the music player first. Once its playing though you can skip forwards and backwards through the playlist/folder. It doesn't give you the ability to change folders though.

As for your stereo I'm not too sure what your setup will be because it differs from unit to unit. Either your stereo will have a plug on the back which supports a mute cable, in which case you just plug the kit straight into it, or you will require a cable which will act as a pass through for the normal connector on the back of your stereo which connects it to the power/speakers, and will also connect to the car kit.

Effectively what happens is that whenever the phone plays a sound you car stereo will mute and the speakers will play whatever comes out of the phone, be it the ring tone, sat-nav directions, music, etc.

The manual is available for download online via the nokia website. Worth a look to give you a good idea before investing. Also have a look around for user reviews on the internet. Places like Amazon are always good to have a look at. I personally find user reviews much better than magazine/website ones because people are using the things long term and not just on a test bed.

Any more questions and I'm happy to help.

Old 27-04-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I get along with it pretty well. Unfortunately you can't start playing the tracks from the device itself although (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think most of the solutions do this. The problem lies with starting the music player first. Once its playing though you can skip forwards and backwards through the playlist/folder. It doesn't give you the ability to change folders though.

As for your stereo I'm not too sure what your setup will be because it differs from unit to unit. Either your stereo will have a plug on the back which supports a mute cable, in which case you just plug the kit straight into it, or you will require a cable which will act as a pass through for the normal connector on the back of your stereo which connects it to the power/speakers, and will also connect to the car kit.

Effectively what happens is that whenever the phone plays a sound you car stereo will mute and the speakers will play whatever comes out of the phone, be it the ring tone, sat-nav directions, music, etc.

The manual is available for download online via the nokia website. Worth a look to give you a good idea before investing. Also have a look around for user reviews on the internet. Places like Amazon are always good to have a look at. I personally find user reviews much better than magazine/website ones because people are using the things long term and not just on a test bed.

Any more questions and I'm happy to help.

is this the one you have?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...ctiveda3015-21

i wouldn't need the speaker would i as it would be going through the stereo
if thats the case, can i buy the bit seperately?

Old 27-04-2008, 04:13 PM

yeah that's the one. I forgot it came with the speaker actually, must still be in the box somewhere. No you don't need to use the speaker if you're plugging it into your stereo. I don't know of anywhere you can get the bits seperately from. If this is something you decide to investigate bare in mind that all of the junction boxes of the different kits look the same but offer different functionality.

Old 27-04-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
bare in mind that all of the junction boxes of the different kits look the same but offer different functionality.
sorry i dont understand
are you saying i need to order one that comes with a junction box specificly for my head unit ?

Old 27-04-2008, 09:48 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hijack slightly but I wanted to mention that I have just installed a JVC KD-AVX33 which is one awesome headunit. It's end f line so if you can find one, snap it up cheap.
It works really nicely with the N95 and if you install the contacts download application designed for the 810 car phone (http://europe.nokia.com/A4143881) it syncs the contacts over automatically.
It works for phone calls (comes with a mic), supports A2DP which works great and lets you control the playback etc on the head unit.

Old 28-04-2008, 07:28 AM

cool

How much can i get the JVC HU for then?
Cheapest i've seen it 250, which is over my budget.