All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
NFC in select Nokia smartphones next year

Speaking at the MobeyForum conference Nokia's Anssi Vanjoki has reaffirmed the company's commitment to NFC (Near Field Communication) technology. Starting from 2011 Nokia's global Symbian smartphone portfolio will begin to include NFC functionality. However it may, or may not, be included in all country variants. NFC is a short range (~10cm), high frequency wireless communication technology; the major uses are likely to be in Bluetooth pairing, reading RFID tags (e.g. smart posters), mobile ticketing (e.g. London's Oyster system) and mobile payment (contactless payment).

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Unregistered

Typical for Nokia - always next year, never today...

Old 18-06-2010, 06:27 AM

chris_iow is on a distinguished road
Phone Handset Typical, etc

I think Nokia's approach is more sensible, evaluate the different options to see which integrates best with their future handsets/systems.

P.S.
I do wish the 'Unregistered' posters had the cojones to create an account and put together a more sensible reply, as then we may get some interesting debate on the actual things that are being discussed for a change

Old 18-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_iow View Post
I think Nokia's approach is more sensible, evaluate the different options to see which integrates best with their future handsets/systems.

P.S.
I do wish the 'Unregistered' posters had the cojones to create an account and put together a more sensible reply, as then we may get some interesting debate on the actual things that are being discussed for a change
There is nothing to debate here except some vague promises. All this may change or be cancelled next month. They may evaluate and integrate for years, but until the product is shipped, it does not matter for the consumer.

Old 18-06-2010, 09:47 AM

jparrot99 is on a distinguished road
Question Can't comment on previous article!

I'm trying to comment on the previous article, "Interviewing Damian Dinning ..." but I just get this error message:

jparrot99, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Are all comments blocked for that article? Accidentally? doesn't seem to be anything to do with me - I'm posting here OK.

Old 18-06-2010, 09:51 AM

jparrot99 is on a distinguished road
I'd love it if NFC worked. Less stuff to carry around, lose. Looks like the operators / banks are squabbling about it and the consumer gets nothing. Needs an Apple to push something through?

Old 18-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparrot99 View Post
I'm trying to comment on the previous article, "Interviewing Damian Dinning ..." but I just get this error message:
Accidental - now fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparrot99 View Post
I'd love it if NFC worked. Less stuff to carry around, lose. Looks like the operators / banks are squabbling about it and the consumer gets nothing. Needs an Apple to push something through?
I don't think Apple on its own has the scale. It would actually make sense for manufacturers to get together (as they do in NFC forum).

Needs several companies to take it up for the advantages to really start working - relatively high tipping point for some use cases.

Old 18-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Unregistered

Another fantastic marketing plot by Nokia - why do they announce those strange things? It makes not yet released N8 already partially outdated because is does not have NFC. Are they intentionally doing this so people will wait for Symbian ^4, NFC etc. and won't buy 2010 models? Why the current phone is never the best and greatest (like it is for Apple) ?

Old 18-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Sigh..

"Another fantastic marketing plot by Nokia - why do they announce those strange things? It makes not yet released N8 already partially outdated because is does not have NFC. Are they intentionally doing this so people will wait for Symbian ^4, NFC etc. and won't buy 2010 models? Why the current phone is never the best and greatest (like it is for Apple) ?"

So, you'd rather be kept in the dark about what is going regarding developments in a mobile company and wait for Steve Job's next can of bullshit to be opended?

I for one prefer the open approach, but I guess people are different.

Old 19-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So, you'd rather be kept in the dark about what is going regarding developments in a mobile company and wait for Steve Job's next can of bullshit to be opended?

I for one prefer the open approach, but I guess people are different.
Yes, I would. Those kind of vague announcements have no value for anybody, I consider them counterproductive. Nokia has been experimenting with NFC since 2003, cancelled last phone with NFC in Feb 2010, delayed implementation from Symbian^3 to Symbian^4. They may change their mind again or be late as always. For now the only impact could be a small depreciation of N8 and small decrease in it's sales (if Nokia ever ships it...).

It makes sense to announce short time before launch, with specific date, pricing etc. We have been hearing about Nokia N8 for months, yet we know much more about iPhone 4, iOS4 (you can even try it), than we know about Symbian^3. You analogy to "can of BS" does not work in this case

Old 19-06-2010, 11:50 AM

jb8967 is on a distinguished road
Lack of coordination; missing leadership

Announcing a technology like NFC without a well thought out communication strategy just shows the fundamental leadership problem at Nokia. Great engineers lead by a lawyer...each product manager competing with another for face-time and resources; Nokia has no chance to compete with Apple if it does not address its marketing. Specifically around its flagship series. It seems as though each product is given too much leeway...a C7 leaked soon after the N8 with confused guessing on specifications, This dilutes the N8's own impact and stature within the Nokia portfolio. Bad training for PR folks. Amateurish official videos containing people who have limited salesmanship. It's a joke. This would never happen at Apple and now we can understand why Apples market cap has skyrocketed while Nokia's has plummeted. The board really needs to change the top and its key marketing bosses. Sorry, but heads should role here...if it is not already too late.

Old 20-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Nörde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8967 View Post
This would never happen at Apple
In a way I'm happy not every company markets it's products like Apple. I don't think people would buy that every single announced phone or technology is magical for example. And I fond for example the official N8 videos entertaining and informative. And the tune is really catchy.

I guess the last nfc phone was canceled because it didn't have market where it was needed. Should Nokia be some kind of Good Samaritan in this case and develop and sell phones just for the sake of having nfc phone?

Old 20-06-2010, 11:53 AM

brendand is on a distinguished road
Speaking of market cap plummeting: http://bit.ly/97FEOm

Ever hear of the word 'bubble'? As the analyst politely puts it, AAPL is a 'cult' stock, i.e. it's sexy and people will buy it just to be a part of the companies success. The problem is that stock price can't be based on sentiment forever.