All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Agree with the other commenters about RIM. BlackBerry is the hottest brand by far at the moment, no matter what the Apple crowd would have you believe. Easily underestimated, but they're going nowhere.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

Yes, in developed countries, I guess a lot of people can afford an iPhone or a Blackberry if they really want one (although I have to say: I´m from Norway, currently the richest country in the world in terms of gdp/capita (nominal) and also one of the most egalitarian, I know a lot of people that won´t buy an iPhone because it is too expensive when the contract and everything is included).

But I´m thinking about the hundreds of millions of people in countries like India and China who loves Nokia (Nokia is the most trusted and loved brand in India for example) and would naturally want to upgrade to higher end Nokia´s over time, that is to Symbian devices. And I believe this will increase Symbian´s market share over time. That would be for the lower-end devices.

For the higher end devices we´ll see how much of an impact the now lower prices of Nokia devices, the free mapping/navigation service, the completely reeingineered user interface, the new SDK (building on Qt) etc will play in - on the one hand - and on the other hand, and on the other hand how much novelty we´ll see from Blackberry(OS), iPhone and Android. I happen to belive we´ll see more novelty from Nokia the coming year, and that Symbians market share will go up also in the high end market over the next two years.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Unregistered

People don't seem to be aware that Blackberry are at the bottom end with the Curve 8520, it's a cheap phone.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Unregistered

Depends on your definition of "cheap". If the mentioned Blackberry cost $300, it isn´t cheap compared to a full-touchscreen Nokia 5530 that would cost only $150 (or however much it is). Nokia´s own hardware and mass-production can bring prices much lower than RIM can. If you´re a poor guy from for example Eastern Europe, this $150 difference will matter a lot...

Old 04-02-2010, 12:15 AM

Jonnycat26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Way off the mark. Blackberry as a messaging device is extremely popular amongst the young, which bodes well for its future. iPhone is for anyone. It's just a credit agreement and doesn't actually cost very much at all. iPhone owners come from all ends, but mostly NOT the rich elite.
RIM was totally in the right place at the right time, and totally by accident. But give them credit for realizing that their ability to push real-time email for enterprises could also be used to push real-time IMs and Facebook/Myspace/Twitter updates.

It's interesting to see other people going down this path (Motorola with MotoBLUR). Nokia is way late to the party on this one.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Unregistered

Curve 8520

The curve 8520 is about £200 or slightly less, depending where you buy it. It's a bit more expensive than the 6220c I bought almost a year ago SIM-free, but not much.

I guess in USD, it would be $250-$300?

My 6220c has Xenon.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 AM

spaceprobe is on a distinguished road
Nokia does have a huge market share but they run the risk of loosing market share because of arrogance. I am new to Nokia, I purchased a sim free 5800 last September. I thought (and still do) that it was a great phone for the price and I liked the idea of being the only gay man in the UK without an Iphone (Apple know their tarket market). However 3 firmwares updates later my 5800 is still stuck on v21 (so no free navigation maps). E mails to UK customer support and faxes to Finland all go unanswered. This is no way for a company to maintain a loyal customer base, if things do not improve Nokia will not be at the top of my list when I come to change phones.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Where did you buy it from? Was it through Nokia? Or was it through a more dubious source? Just asking...., I'm curious as to how some product codes slip through the net!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Vode

ecpect Nokia and Symbian to lose more smartphone marketshare when the worlds 2nd and 3rd biggest phone manufacturers start pushing their own 'smartphone' OS's.
Ads

Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Where did you buy it from? Was it through Nokia? Or was it through a more dubious source? Just asking...., I'm curious as to how some product codes slip through the net!
From the Nokia UK online store. Code: 0579934, unable to get any response from Nokia UK or Finland, did e mail the Regent street store, and got an e mail back saying they had not idea why firmware was not available. So if you talk to anybody from Nokia kick them up the rear end for me.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Your best bet is to ask the question on the Nokia Discussions board. It's monitored by Nokia employees who have direct lines to the product teams.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Your best bet is to ask the question on the Nokia Discussions board. It's monitored by Nokia employees who have direct lines to the product teams.
I cant tell you how many times I have done that, nothing. E mails to support unanswered, 2 faxes to head office in Finland, unanswered. I just cant believe how bad Nokia customer support is and I just don't know what to do now apart from to change my codes!

Last edited by spaceprobe; 05-02-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Well, in that case, yes, suggest changing the product code to one that has the update (see above), then changing back again afterwards. It's not good practice to do this, of course, but if Nokia really are ignoring you..... 8-)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Well, in that case, yes, suggest changing the product code to one that has the update (see above), then changing back again afterwards. It's not good practice to do this, of course, but if Nokia really are ignoring you..... 8-)
Yes it looks like that is the road to down I just need an easy to follow guide to do it and the code to use. I tell you has much has I like my phone this whole business has left a bad taste in my mouth.