All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-04-2007, 11:58 AM

beerglass007 is on a distinguished road
Angry Orange N95 have blocked out SIP

I have tired to get truphone working on the Orange N95 I got last week.
I couldnt get it working so requested support from truphone on this problem.

They inform me that Orange have block internet phone calls on the handset.

I phoned Orange and they dont support SIP and said to phone Nokia direct.

I have phoned Nokia and they said SIP is supported but Orange must have played with the firmware and removed the feature.

How the hell can this happen and not tell people. Its even in the manual Orange sent me.

Can I change the product code of the phone and re-flash it with a standard unbranded firmware which will work ?

I hate bloody Orange

Old 13-04-2007, 07:23 PM

khedara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Truphone have jsut posted a video on their blog showing the differences between a "clean" N95 and one that has been "nobbled" by the carriers. Enjoy (and be glad you don't have a contract with Orange/Vodaphone/...)

Video here
Return your phone and get a T-mobile or sim free

Old 14-04-2007, 01:40 AM

Jurgen_Nokia is on a distinguished road
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=58684

Old 15-04-2007, 08:30 AM

just done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by khedara View Post
Yep done that yesturday

So as I've never had a T mobile phone before, what can and cant I do with the 7.50 web and walk stuff

VOIP ?

Old 15-04-2007, 08:39 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerglass007 View Post
So as I've never had a T mobile phone before, what can and cant I do with the 7.50 web and walk stuff

VOIP ?
Err, did you not read the T-Mobile small print before signing the contract?

Just about everything but there are limitations, so look here

Old 15-04-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Err, did you not read the T-Mobile small print before signing the contract?

Just about everything but there are limitations, so look here
Hmmm no I didnt

But have read the following now...

Flext + web'n'walk plans
Subject to connection to Flext or U-Fix + web 'n' walk. Minimum term contract and credit check apply. Subject to coverage. Compatible handset required. Roaming charges apply. Not applicable to connection via CSD. *To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers a 1GB (of data both sent and received in the UK) per month fair use policy applies. If you exceed 1GB per month, we may tell you to reduce your future use. If you again exceed 1GB per month, we may tell you that we are going to apply network protection controls, resulting in a reduced network speed for 14 days. If you exceed 1GB per month for a third time , we may tell you that we are going to apply further network protection controls, resulting in a reduced network speed until you upgrade your price plan to include a larger data allowance. We do not permit use of this service to provide modem access for a computer or for peer to peer file sharing, internet phone calls or instant messaging. Roaming charges apply.

So what does this mean...how can they tell if your using Voice over the network.?

Can I use a streaming radio over the web ok then ?
Ads

Old 15-04-2007, 03:05 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerglass007 View Post
So what does this mean...how can they tell if your using Voice over the network.?

Can I use a streaming radio over the web ok then ?
Put simply, if you exceed 1GB monthly, they will throttle back your access speed, but you've got to be seriously using the net to get that much. Will they know you use VoiP, not likely, unless you draw attention to yourself (by exceeding your 1GB allowance).

Old 15-04-2007, 05:42 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by khedara View Post
Alternatively, if you like the Orange service and tariff, simply download Phoenix2007 and Generic Euro N95 Firmware and 'de brand' your phone. This will enable SIP. All you will lose is the Orange Theme(s).

I did this last night and Truphone now works fine.

Old 15-04-2007, 05:48 PM

mark.peters is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Alternatively, if you like the Orange service and tariff, simply download Phoenix2007 and Generic Euro N95 Firmware and 'de brand' your phone. This will enable SIP. All you will lose is the Orange Theme(s).

I did this last night and Truphone now works fine.
Any links for the downloads ?

Cheers

Mark

Old 30-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Jurgen_Nokia is on a distinguished road
VOIP users that have gained access to the services you wanted, please contribute to this thread - http://www.whatmobile.net/forumvb/sh...ad.php?t=16542

Br,
Jurgen

Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 PM

808state is on a distinguished road
N95 Orange SoS

Hi if anyone can help I'd appreciate it:

I've got an Orange N95 and am trying to reload nokia software to take advantage of VOIP.

I've followed all the advice and links, downloaded NSS, changed the product code to Euro 1 generic, downloaded the Nokia software updater.exe file of 22.3mb and then when the Nokia software installer launches, I get an error message as follows:

Error 1327.Invalid Drive:E:/

and when I cancel it another message comes up saying:

The wizard was interuppted before Nokia Software Updater could be completely installed etc...

When I try to download direct to the device, after selecting the English language version, a message comes up saying: "Not suppported"

Where do I go from here? Use NSS to put in another product code?

Cheers

Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
I've followed all the advice and links, downloaded NSS, changed the product code to Euro 1 generic, downloaded the Nokia software updater.exe file of 22.3mb and then when the Nokia software installer launches, I get an error message as follows:

Error 1327.Invalid Drive:E:/

E: is the MicroSD Memory card, so I would suggest removing this and rebooting the handset. You might also want to try formatting the internal memory before flashing, with *#7370#

Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:56 PM

All at Sea - white horses: sea state 3-4

Thanks Dez,

I'm a bit of a novice at all this...

I didn't actually have a micro SD card, but I went and got one and tried it with/without/with sim/without etc and the same fault comes up, however, I think what I probably need to do is unlock the phone from the network as when I put *#7370# in, it asked for one...

Unlocking the phone as a preamble to 'reflashing' might be an obvious thing to do, but I don't actually know the definition of "reflashing"; all I did was to download NSS and simply scan the phone and change the product code. There were no fireworks seen on the phone and it didn't switch itself on or off.

Basically I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Is "reflashing" restoring factory settings after putting in a new product code into a phone that is unlocked?

When Orange/Nokia manage to get it to me, I will try all again and see what happens!

Onwards & Upwards

Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808state View Post
Thanks Dez,

I'm a bit of a novice at all this...

I didn't actually have a micro SD card, but I went and got one and tried it with/without/with sim/without etc and the same fault comes up, however, I think what I probably need to do is unlock the phone from the network as when I put *#7370# in, it asked for one...
Hi,

You don't need to network-unlock the handset to format or flash the phone.

You appear to be consusing the Security code with Network Unlock code. They are 2 entirely different things.

The security code is a 5 digit code, required sometimes before functions such as formatting the memory, unlocking the keypad, etc. The default value is 12345. Try the format again with *#7370# then enter 12345 when asked for the Security Code.

The network Unlock code is a long number (around 15 digits I think?) supplied to you by your network for a fee. Upon entering this number, all SIM restrictions are removed, then you can use SIM Cards from other Networks, e.g. O2/Orange/Vodafone/T-Mobile, etc. You should even be able to use SIM cards from other countries after entering the unlocking code.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:42 PM

I did as you said and the reflashing with the code worked fine, but I still have the original two error messages (re the E Drive / language not supported )when I try and download the Nokia software update, repsctively by PC or direct to the device.

Any ideas?

Thanks!