All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-02-2003, 09:10 AM
ivansergei

3650 is now shipping globally

The Nokia 3650 imaging phone is now shipping globally
February 26, 2003

Nokia, the global leader in mobility, announced today that it has begun shipments of the award-winning Nokia 3650 in Europe, North America and Asia Pacific. The Chinese version of the Nokia 3650 has been available in China and Hong Kong since January 2003. Launched at the Nokia Totally Board event in September 2002 in France, the tri-band (GSM 900/1800/1900) Nokia 3650 is optimized for an easy and enjoyable imaging experience. The device was recently selected as an Innovations 2003 winner at the 2003 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"Bringing the Nokia 3650 to markets such as North America, reflects Nokia's determination to offer a superior mobile imaging experience for a wide base of consumers", said Juha Putkiranta, Senior Vice President, Imaging Business Unit. "In addition to enabling both picture and video communication for mobile users, the Nokia 3650 also offers Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) functionality with its extensive email support, calendar and contacts synchronization for most popular email and personal information management applications, and numerous add-on software."

The Nokia 3650 comes with an integrated VGA camera, a large 176x208 pixel color display with 4096 colors, and a unique circular keypad with a 5-way scroll key. It also incorporates a video recorder for capturing video clips, as well as RealOne Player for downloading, playing, and real-time streaming of video and audio content. The multimedia messaging (MMS) functionality allows users to send video clips, images, text and sound to compatible MMS-enabled phones or to any e-mail address. The Nokia 3650 phone also supports all major e-mail protocols.

The XHTML browser in the device sets a new reference for using mobile services, such as Lonely Planet's interactive travel guide optimized for the Nokia 3650. The visually rich service including numerous color pictures offers travel information on 38 cities around the world, helping the mobile travelers to be updated on the latest tips on food, accommodation and sights while on the go.

The Series 60 software package based on the Symbian OS (Operating System) offers a powerful, easy-to-use platform for the Nokia 3650 phone. Already today, there are hundreds of add-on software applications available for the Series 60 devices making it possible for the users to enhance their devices with new content and applications. The additional software ranges from imaging enhancements such as zoom and image editing programs, to Java‘ games and personal productivity applications including dictionaries or file management.

Developers looking to reach the Nokia 3650 phone audience can use the Series 60 Software Development Kit to build applications and both Nokia Tradepoint and Nokia Software Market to bring their applications to market. More details, including free downloads of the Series 60 SDK, are available at Nokia's global developer site, www.forum.nokia.com.

The Nokia 3650 phone weighs 130 g (4.59 oz) and has 3.4 MB internal user memory. In the standard sales package, the Nokia 3650 comes complete with a 16MB memory card enabling flexible storage for more pictures, games, or other files. The new compact and lightweight 850 mAh Li-Ion battery gives the Nokia 3650 phone a talk time of up to 4 hours hours, a standby time of up to 8 days and a faster charging time of approximately one hour. User-changeable Xpress-on‘ covers provide Nokia 3650 phone owners with another personalization option. The phone also supports a variety of optional mobile enhancements for power management, wearables and wireless Bluetooth connectivity.

MMS services are currently offered by more than 100 operators around the world. To date, Nokia has introduced 17 MMS-enabled phones.

About Nokia
Nokia is the world leader in mobile communications. Backed by its experience, innovation, user-friendliness and secure solutions, the company has become the leading supplier of mobile phones and a leading supplier of mobile, fixed broadband and IP networks. By adding mobility to the Internet Nokia creates new opportunities for companies and further enriches the daily lives of people. Nokia is a broadly held company with listings on six major exchanges.

Further information:

Nokia Mobile Phones
Communications
Tel: +358 7180 08000
E-mail: nokia.mobile.phones@nokia.com
www.nokia.com

Pictures of the Nokia 3650 phone are available at www.nokia.com/press

For additional applications for the Nokia 3650 phone, please visit www.softwaremarket.nokia.com

* Please note that the MMS related services are dependent on the network as well as on the compatibility of the devices used and the content formats supported.

Old 26-02-2003, 01:46 PM

GPS is on a distinguished road
Good News

I beleieve this is the best news i' ve ever heard......since I'm stack on this forum........

Old 26-02-2003, 03:39 PM

Frenchie746 is on a distinguished road
God i hope this is a true statement because if it is, i know where my tax refund will be going...

that would also explain Expansys.com changing their price on imports...
the import to the US was 1000.00 us dollars. It dropped by 250.00 Man its getting closer to the release date every day...

Old 26-02-2003, 06:09 PM

nokia 3650

I'm waiting for 3650 since September and this is the best new i could receive and i will be on holidays in Friday so what's best ...

()

Old 26-02-2003, 09:18 PM

sally_t is on a distinguished road
About bl**dy time too!

I rang Carphone Warehouse in the UK today and they are still saying it will be 2- 3 weeks before they start to sell the 3650. I rang The Link in the UK and they have no idea when they will be selling it :(

Old 27-02-2003, 08:15 AM

willbrady is on a distinguished road
Well, you did not speak to the most reliable of sources now did you, The Link & Carephone Warehouse!!
Carphone Warehouse are saying the N-Gage is out in May!
All they seem to know is what turned up in their last delivery!
Ads

Old 27-02-2003, 11:34 AM

PMidway is on a distinguished road
yeah, 3650 is out! Here in Finland its about 450 euros in webstores and about 550 euros in "regular" stores.

Old 27-02-2003, 01:09 PM

hanren is on a distinguished road
?!?!?!

i m sooo jealous
here in sg ... there is still no release date :(

Old 27-02-2003, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbrady
Well, you did not speak to the most reliable of sources now did you, The Link & Carephone Warehouse!!
Well who should I talk to??

I've bought from carphonewarehouse b4 and the Link happened to have sent me a mailshot this week.

Go on then. Who can I buy a 3650 from in the UK right now?

Old 28-02-2003, 03:07 AM

I emailed Expansys and they said they expect to have them in around 5 days from now. here is the complete email:

(my email)
>>I was just on Nokia's Website, and they have a press release saying >>that the
>>Nokia 3650 is now shipping world wide. Do you know when they will >>finally
>>go on sale(or an estimate perhaps?)

Thanks,

Bryan French

(their response)

Hi Sir,

we expaect to have them in stock after 4 days time.

regards

Old 28-02-2003, 08:29 AM

willbrady is on a distinguished road
Haha.
I'm not saying don't buy from them - indeed, who else in this country is there apart from the little independants.
Just that they are not up to much in the knowledge stakes - your better off getting your info from forums and websites like these rather than going into one of those shops for advise.

They'll only sell you what ever they need to clear out that week..

I once heard a guy in Link tell a perspective customer looking at a 7650 say that video was impossible and it took stills only and his friend must be mistaken for telling him his one does video.

The guy was dumfounded when I took mine out and shot a short video of him and called the other shop assistants over to look - they were ALL surprised that it could do video, even the manager was not aware.... nuff said

And the fact that they first told me the 3650 would be out in November and that N-Gage is out in May....... Sure the manafactures may be giving them false info in the first place, that's the point - they hav'nt got a clue.
They could say to you 'it's not out for another month' and it be sitting on the shelves the very next day!

I've had a 3650 for a nearly a month yet ask at the Link and you'll be told it don't exist!

Best

Will

Old 28-02-2003, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie746
I emailed Expansys and they said they expect to have them in around 5 days from now.
Nevertheless I just rang Expansys and the person I spoke to said that they do not have a firm date for delivery and they are only take "pre-orders"... :(

Old 28-02-2003, 06:32 PM

well, ive had mine pre-orderd through them for about 4-5 months now, so i had better get one of those damn phones.

Old 01-03-2003, 07:34 AM
ivansergei

Here in Romania u can order it at 600 euros+19% VAT at EuroGSM.
Delivery;one week.
Quite expensive piece of....art

Old 01-03-2003, 01:04 PM

Seremify is on a distinguished road
My friend bought the Chinese model and its bein hell for him. He can read Chinese and all but he said the phone has lost alot of character and also some of the Chinese he can't make out.. its quite funny because he needs my English manual.

Anyway I don't get the point of the article? Its still not shipping in Australia.. I had to import mine from Singapore and my friend imported his from HK.

3810 > 6110 > 6210 > T20 > 8310 > 3650 > 6100 > 7250i > 9210 > 7610 > D600 > w800i > Z140 > N73 > N93 > E65 > E51 > E71