All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Zebra555

Looks good but not great

Well i like it but it seems somehow tooo slooow. Look at the slow response of menus and videos.
This smartphone needs 2 things to be great:
1. NVIDIA TEGRA chip (very fast chip with HD playback and low power consumption)
2. OLED display

and with this features added they could sell it for 600-650 and i would buy it anyway.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
Small and powerful

The N97 is much smaller then the E90 - this suggests the next Communicator will be smaller and perhaps slimmer as well. I think the real story will be the next gen Communicator not the N97. I will buy the N97 because it is really the next step from the 7710 but I think the next Communicator will be mold breaking in terms of technology packaging.

EDIT: just watched a few videos on Youtube, the N97 is very very quick. Not bad for a proto FW device. This is going to be a good platform, a very good platform for future Nokia devices

Last edited by jah; 02-12-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 PM
AlmostDone

I applaud Nokia finally having hardware QWERTY on the N-Series. I'm coming back to you soon Nokia! I'm with HTC Touch HD at the moment.

I got really bored of Nokia rehashes of late and jumped ship but I may just swim back to Nokia's Titanic!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nope, it's not a capacitive touchscreen (like that of the iPhone); it's a plain stupid resistive one (like all WinMo devices or the BlackBerry Storm). This sucks in a lot of respects (except for using with a stylus or any sharp pointing device)... I bet it doesn't have multitouch either.
Most likely because I suspect anyone using anything remotely similar to either would end up fending off Mr Job's legal pitbulls for the next decade.

As for the N97 itself, if it had an 800 pixel wide display and a cpu to match that in my E90 I'd be sorely tempted. Still, the widget based homepage is a pretty big deal, the next version of S60 desperately needs to get that functionality drafted across into the UI as a whole, menus and everything. It's not as primitive as Windows Mobile, but it is really starting to show it's age alongside the iPhone's UI.

Roll on the E91
Ads

Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 AM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaverick View Post
and finally, how is that keyboard, I still compare all mini-keyboard to the old Psion 5 and Psion Revo and for me this one looks as though its not going to have a lot of tactility to it.
Numerous failed attempts demonstrate that you cannot have small size and good keyboard at the same time. This N97 is not any exception. The N97 shines where it is supposed to shine. The keyboard is intended for short messages and emails only.

The Psion 5mx is still superior as a pocketable or handbag-able typing platform and as an electronic diary. No other device comes near.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Unregistered

Bad Keyboard Design is a turn off

I am sad that such a beautiful design has bad placement of space bar key.

They could have utilized the small space below with a thinner but a longer keyboard.

I also support the detachable keyboard design. Love to see such a phone.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Unregistered

I need N Series 5800

Yeah you heard it right.

N series 5800 ... candy bar

blue tooth keyboard as another poster suggested detachable is good to to.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
It looks good but in 6 months its going to look mediocre. they have had what over a year now to get their touch ui right and its still lacking badly in some areas but good enough for launch in the 5800 then they go and release the N Series successor for 6 months down the line when theirs nothing decent to fill in the stop gap now.

What were they thinking going for a Q3 release?

Cant tell from the picture but it still looks like their still failing miserably on the USB port location... on the bottom please! its useless everywhere else

Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Unregistered

is it just me or does this new device include the ability to use photos as a full background just like in desktops? take a look at the bike on Anssi's N97. can someone please confirm?

also where are all those transitions shown in the demo video e.g the one where the main screen transitions with widgets changing from portrait to landscape a la xperia style. in all the live demos so far all i see is a black screen in place of transitions.

in all seriousness this phone looked amazing for the first five minutes but honestly the missing transitions are turning me off. Besides what is the deal with front keys. the positioning just seems so wierd the call and end keys so close together and the angle of the menu key just seems so wierd. also i hear that a stylus is included in the box but there is no stylus slot in the phone! why? yeah i know everything can be done with finger touch only but why include a stylus.

also this might be a minor quirk to most people but to me the angle of that screen is perfect for video watching when the phone is on a table but that angle could be pretty annoying while typing on the go. i tried it on the TYTN II (AT&T Tilt) and i always prefered having the screen flat while typing on the go cos the angle of tilt was too much. i think the xperia has the perfect angle.

i am hoping the transition quirk is just a firmware issue and that it will be fixed. by the way for those who say there is too much information on the main screen, i don't think so 'cos the same goes for the iphone which has about 20 icons on the main screen when fully set up. at least with the N97 you have a lot more information readily available at a glance without having to click on anything and to me that is way awesome 'cos i love to have all my info at a glance without clicking nothing.

by the way that 32GB of storage is a sweet spot cos then the phone can be used as a flash drive now lets just hope Nokia did something about their read and write speeds 'cos right now they are simply dismal for USB 2.0.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
also where are all those transitions shown in the demo video e.g the one where the main screen transitions with widgets changing from portrait to landscape a la xperia style. in all the live demos so far all i see is a black screen in place of transitions.
It depends on what was included on the demo handsets I suppose. The chances are the menu items are going to be beefed up or I would hope so seeing as their taking another 6 months to launch.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 AM

RadicalSatDude is on a distinguished road
FM with RDS?

Didn't see any mention of FM radio with RDS?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Doesn't the N93 also have stereo sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
"That's exactly what the N93 does. So how does my old N93 beat the N97 on video capture? Are you referring to the lack of N93's optical zoom?"
Well, optical zoom, yes, but also the fact that video on the N93 is much clearer than on the newer devices: N79, N85, N96 and presumably N97 all suck when it comes to video. It may be VGA but it's not fit for purpose yet, in my opinion. I wish Nokia would come clean about video capture and what's going on. The current situation is insane.
This combined with optical zoom is great and hasn't been surpassed by Nokia devices. Several Japanese phones have optical zoom but I haven't come across one with stereo sound recording as well.

So yes .. a 12+ MP cam with optical zoom and stereo sound .. k thx .. bye

Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Unregistered

Lack of 3D hardware acceleration

Another Nokia faux pas? its embarrasing for Nokia to keep its high end community dissapointed in such a way. Oh well roll on N98...OMAP3 (fingers x)

Old 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
There is not much dead space. And while people are already mumbling about the size, you want a bigger screen, and a Dpad on the front. It's just not feasible.
It IS feasible. Just look at the HTC Touch HD as far as the screen is concerned. (No D-pad there, of course.)

In addition, there's a lot of dead estate around the top. The screen could be moved a bit upwards and a D-pad added at the bottom. It'd be of tremendous help for players - and in enlarging the thumbboard.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
This combined with optical zoom is great and hasn't been surpassed by Nokia devices. Several Japanese phones have optical zoom but I haven't come across one with stereo sound recording as well.

So yes .. a 12+ MP cam with optical zoom and stereo sound .. k thx .. bye
12 MP with so small a CCD / MOS? TOns of noise. Not even Canon's DIGIC III / IV can get rid of it - and their 12+MP ultracompact Ixus cameras use 1/1.7" CCD's, which are far bigger than the ones used in mobile phones.

That is, it's the best to stick to 5 Mpixel. You could only resolution gain in well-lit scenes. In low light, the 5 MP N95 already does a lot of smearing (see my iPhone vs. N95 vs. IXUS 960 comparative shots if inetrested).