All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-01-2003, 09:23 AM

Stacker strange bug !!

Run any compressed application and power off your phone (leave application running), application became unusable (broken) after phone restart

Old 09-01-2003, 09:29 AM

Miro is on a distinguished road
the same here,
V3.16
BR Miro

Old 09-01-2003, 10:04 AM

kobe24 is on a distinguished road
That doesn't happen with Space Doubler. Get Space Doubler.

Old 09-01-2003, 11:00 AM

Zeus is on a distinguished road
Re: Stacker strange bug !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
Run any compressed application and power off your phone (leave application running), application became unusable (broken) after phone restart
If you've powered off your device when target app was running, nothing will happen, application has been fully decompressed (in the state like it was before using Stacker and works without Stacker help),
only one thing that after restart this app remains in decomressed form, so you can compress it again.

But if you've powered off your phone when application is being decompressed (progress bar is moving) of course you get some files for this application remain uncompressed and some not.

How do you think what will happen if you turn off your phone while any application is being installed? Do you really think this application will work?

Anyway, if you have powered off you phone while decompressing, WITH STACKER you don't have to reinstall broken program! We have a special tool to easy recover from such problem. Just select FileBrowser on the Options menu, go to program's directory, mark compressed files (they are marked with special icon) or simply all files (program will handle it automatically) and press Decompress. Now you can work with your program again, and without reinstall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe24
That doesn't happen with Space Doubler. Get Space Doubler.
Kobe, what are you talking about??? Just try to power off you phone while space doubler is decompressing an application. Then you have only one choice - to reinstall this application. Have a fun.

Old 09-01-2003, 12:28 PM

psiloc is on a distinguished road
Zeus,

Quote:
Just try to power off you phone while space doubler is decompressing an application. Then you have only one choice - to reinstall this application. Have a fun.
This is not true. Space Doubler still recognizes that application and one can simply unpack/pack it again (without need to browsing the file structure).

But, such situation is far from real life (powering off while Space Doubler compresing/decompresing application) - with Space Doubler it may occur only with VERY large applications.

Of course Space Doubler FULLY support "power off" no matter how many and how big applications are open.

BR,

Robert
PsiNT

Old 09-01-2003, 01:09 PM

Robert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiloc
This is not true. Space Doubler still recognizes that application and one can simply unpack/pack it again (without need to browsing the file structure).
If so, than i have to say sorry

Old 09-01-2003, 11:38 PM

Zeus

Quote:
How do you think what will happen if you turn off your phone while any application is being installed? Do you really think this application will work?
I don't think a sarcastic comment is necessary. I think that this should be part of your failsafe feature.

I would have to suggest to your stacker that it automatically checks whether each application files are decompressed or not. Don't you think it's kinda tedious for us simple users to check each files and uncompress??? I mean it should already be included in your app. Don't you check your file sizes?

Anyway, it's really nice that you guys visit this forum and check for user comments/complain.

Keep up the good work. And, may the best applications always be created, and tested.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:19 AM

faquick is on a distinguished road
I'd like to add a couple of thoughts to this discussion

1) "powering down" phone WHILE decompressing or (re)compressing is NOT so much far from "real life"... it could just happen that your phone says "empty battery" and shuts down in the middle of a stacker / sdoubler operation

2) yes, it would be VERY nice if the program will automatically recognise next time the app starts that it has been partially (un)compressed and so it is able to make it work right. From my experience with past releases, this did not happen always neither with sdoubler nor with stacker. I still have to try to "stress test" latest betas from both psiloc and symbianware

3) it's VERY good seeing programmers here even if this can become dangerous for themselves (being inside this bunch of crazy symbian adepts is probably like being inside a roman circus arena )

4) is it just an impression, or psiloc and symbianware seem to have gone "war" with this kind of application? they keep writing "my app is best" "no my app is bestest" and so on?

Old 10-01-2003, 12:27 AM

Quote:
3) it's VERY good seeing programmers here even if this can become dangerous for themselves (being inside this bunch of crazy symbian adepts is probably like being inside a roman circus arena )
I'd drink to that.

Quote:
4) is it just an impression, or psiloc and symbianware seem to have gone "war" with this kind of application? they keep writing "my app is best" "no my app is bestest" and so on?
This will eventualy lead to the best thing. Customer satisfaction.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:41 AM

Hera is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by faquick
"War" is the wrong word, for us it's a competition only But for sure users will be the winners I'm just afraid that after a couple of next releases Stacker and sDoubler will replace Callipso

Old 10-01-2003, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Zeus
I don't think a sarcastic comment is necessary. I think that this should be part of your failsafe feature.
I said sorry I have tested prev. version sDoubler with this issue and there wasn't 'power off' support.

Quote:
I would have to suggest to your stacker that it automatically checks whether each application files are decompressed or not. Don't you think it's kinda tedious for us simple users to check each files and uncompress??? I mean it should already be included in your app. Don't you check your file sizes?
Of course Stacker has various fail safe options, checks and so on. But right you are, and we'll add automatic 'power off' thing in the next release.

Quote:
Anyway, it's really nice that you guys visit this forum and check for user comments/complain.
Hmm, i don't visit this board, I live here

Old 10-01-2003, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera
"War" is the wrong word, for us it's a competition only
Yes, you're right... I was looking for a more "tough" word, but 'war' maybe is TOO hard 8) but I didn't come with anything better
Quote:
But for sure users will be the winners I'm just afraid that after a couple of next releases Stacker and sDoubler will replace Callipso
Uhm... I didn't get it... what am I missing? :(

Old 10-01-2003, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus
Hmm, i don't visit this board, I live here
Nice, didn't know we were neighbors.

Old 10-01-2003, 01:08 AM

Hera is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by faquick
Quote:
But for sure users will be the winners I'm just afraid that after a couple of next releases Stacker and sDoubler will replace Callipso
Uhm... I didn't get it... what am I missing? :(
Oops, sorry, I meant Calypso - another name for Nokia Series 60 its initial name afaik - at least I heard our developers called it so )
Of course my previous post was a joke but looks like after spending too much time with programmers people stop understanding me :(
Ads

Old 10-01-2003, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Oops, sorry, I meant Calypso - another name for Nokia Series 60 its initial name afaik
OOOOOhhhhhh yessss!!! NOW I remember!

Quote:
Of course my previous post was a joke but looks like after spending too much time with programmers people stop understanding me
Don't say so It's just me, not you! Or... it's all of us... well... its 02.12 AM (at least here) 8) so I think it's time to GO TO SLEEP (at least, for me)