All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-02-2005, 11:24 PM

csm2005 is on a distinguished road
Transferring from PC to Phone

New to the forum, first post.

I have only done the very basic things on my 7610 and have never used my PC and phone together. I have recently been experimenting with that USB cable that came with the phone. I have had no problems transferring files (images, videos etc.) from phone to PC but I don't know how to transfer from PC to phone. I have bought a data CD full of ringtones and images and would like to know how to transfer these to my phone. I am using Nokia PC Suite.

Any help would be much appreciated. Please try to keep it simple as I am not the most advanced user.

Thanks.

Old 22-02-2005, 06:25 AM

yuhackman is on a distinguished road
Transfering from PC to Phone

Easiest way ....

Go to : My Computer -> Other -> Nokia Phone Browser ->

Go to Phone Icon (Nokia 7610)

You should see Drive C: Phone Memory
Drive E: Card Memory
Contacts : Your PhoneBook

If you are familiar wit explorer and drag and drop you will manage yust fine

Old 22-02-2005, 01:14 PM

Thanks, I tried this and the files showed up on the computer but they are not being transferred to the phone. Is there some kind of command that needs to be done to transfer?
Ads

Old 23-02-2005, 02:26 AM

yuhackman is on a distinguished road
Transfering From PC to phone - part 2

For Example, lets just say tat you would like to transfer some pictures fom you CD to your Nokia 7610.

Open My computer - > Nokia phone browser -> Nokia 7610 -> CardMemory(E

Now you should see folders onyur card, this is yur destination for picture

Open AGAIN (do NOT close first) MyComputer -> CD/DVD (D/on my machine it is D:, on yours it is under "Devices with removable Storage"/ -> double click on icon -> select folder /or picture file/ that you want to transfer then DRAG it to FIRST open window and DROP it there, and it is going to be copied on your phone

It is quite easy, just like in windows explorer, use your mouse and browse thruogh files you want to copy on your phone .....

Go For It !

Last edited by yuhackman; 23-02-2005 at 02:37 AM.

Old 23-02-2005, 06:09 AM

kyw3 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Sorry for the changing the topic. But I was just wondering if you can store files like e.g .doc (word processing) or any other phone's OS file into the phone? (By trasferring if from PC to the phone) So it acts just like a USB drive. I have tried but it didn't work, is it possible though?

Old 23-02-2005, 02:09 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Sure. The file system does not change/convert/destroy any file content, and you can store anything that you can fit (either in phone memory or a memory card) and retrieve it. I've done it with images, audio files, video files, MS Office documents, zip files, etc.

Old 24-02-2005, 06:58 AM

kyw3 is on a distinguished road
Article

How did you do it? Did you use the Nokia PC Suite? or did you use a memory card reader? What I did is, I used the Nokia PC Suite to transfer the file. However, the phone doesn't recognised any other files except for .SIS. So I created a folder and put all the files I want to be transfer into the folder and then copy the folder into either my C drive or D drive of the phone. I can see the folder I created in the phone but didn't see anything inside the folder. You mention something about "retrieve", what exactly is that?

Old 24-02-2005, 02:30 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Retrieve = get/copy back

I've successfully used both PC Suite and PC-based memory card readers (or even sending/receiving files as email attachments).

Old 24-02-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuhackman
For Example, lets just say tat you would like to transfer some pictures fom you CD to your Nokia 7610.

Open My computer - > Nokia phone browser -> Nokia 7610 -> CardMemory(E

Now you should see folders onyur card, this is yur destination for picture

Open AGAIN (do NOT close first) MyComputer -> CD/DVD (D/on my machine it is D:, on yours it is under "Devices with removable Storage"/ -> double click on icon -> select folder /or picture file/ that you want to transfer then DRAG it to FIRST open window and DROP it there, and it is going to be copied on your phone

It is quite easy, just like in windows explorer, use your mouse and browse thruogh files you want to copy on your phone .....

Go For It !

This is the exact proceedure I was trying in the first place. Thanks for your help, at least I know I am not doing anything wrong. When I try to do this, on my computer it looks as though the file has been transferred but it is not being transferred on to my phone. I don't think that there is anything wrong with my cable because I have managed to transfer music using 'Transfer Music' on the nokia pc suite and themes and games using 'Install Applications'. I have noticed that when I do drag and drop a file onto my phone's memory that the size shows as 0kb. Is there an explanation to this or should I keep trying to do the file transfer and see if it works?

Old 25-02-2005, 04:56 AM

sandeep108 is on a distinguished road
I would suggest that you first backup your phone using pc suite. Then also back up your mmc using a card reader. Now first try using a card reader to transfer files, without bothering with phone or pc suite. If this also does not work, most probably your mmc is corrupted and will require a format. If it does work, then problem may be somewhere with your phone you may need to reset it. But you will lose information on the phone memory when reset/reformatted.