All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-04-2010, 09:11 AM

jamessmith01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevs View Post
Not to sound like a complete convert on Day 1, but the N900 has all of the above covered..... you just need to tweak it your needs
I was considering the N900. One of the things that put me off, however, was the fact it doesn't natively support portrait mode. I know this can be enabled with some hacks, but it doesn't work properly at the moment (AFAIK). Anyone know if Nokia plan to change that in the future?

Old 16-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Kevs is on a distinguished road
True, it's very much a landscape device.
With the current firmware portrait is there for phone and web browser, but you can't type in portrait so you'll have to drop back to landscape for that, but for 'most' things landscape is much better.

Old 16-04-2010, 01:39 PM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
I sold my N97 and got a HTC desire 5 days ago, and so far......

no crashes, no hanging, no problems AT ALL. And its fast, damn fast. Android has been a breath of fresh air.

The web browser is something else, its so fast i cannot explain, NEVER used anything close to it on a phone before, with flash support. On my N97 i never used the stock browser, as it was slow, had C drive issues- i used mini opera for all my web browsing. I haven't even bothered installing Opera on the desire, that says it all.

The homescreens are a dream, all the benefits of the N97 in there, but these work, and the phone has enough grunt to pull it off.

The app store is far more mature, and you get so many things free that you have to pay for with the N97, such as threaded message apps, decent games. Oh, and i don't have to pay for Pdf viewer etc, and i get free google maps (with navigation - not strictly 'direct')

Photo management is brilliant. I put 4500 photos onto my SD card in various folders, and the phone creates albums for each of these folders automatically. Brilliant. Plus i can see all photos in one view- found it very annoying on the N97 that you had to spilt between captured and downloaded (particularly as some captured photos randomly ended up in the downloaded section!)

The camera is as good in good light, but not as good in low light. Having said that, the N97 was rubbish in low light, never got rid of the flash flood issue.

Things i miss from the N97 are FM transmitter (although going to get a bluetooth stereo to mimic this), 32GB onboard and the better battery life. Funny thing is, i thought i would miss the QWERTY, but i don't! Combination of non-resistive touchscreen and 'auto correct' feature means i actually type faster on the on screen keyboard, this really did surprise me.

In conclusion, if anyone is thinking of moving on, the Desire is a cracking phone. The battery life is not great, but i can live with carrying a spare. Go on the android desire forum, vast majority of posts are actually positive, only a few with 'real' issues- which is rare from my forum experience.

I do miss my N97, i have had symbian phones for a long time, but now it seems so dated and out of touch, not to mention full of bugs. The desire is more stable than my N97 was after v21 (almost a year after release). I do hope nokia sort it out, but it will take something truly amazing to bring me back to symbian - and that is sad

Good luck everyone, i'll still pop in now and again if thats ok, just because its become a bit of a habit now, and i like the people on this forum, i feel like we have all been on one heck of a journey together, and mine has come to an end

Thanks to everyone who helped me over the past year and good luck

Old 16-04-2010, 02:33 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Cracking review

I want it more now!

Old 16-04-2010, 06:12 PM

craigyb is on a distinguished road
Hope you don't suffer from the SD card issue I had with that many photos onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit44 View Post
Photo management is brilliant. I put 4500 photos onto my SD card in various folders, and the phone creates albums for each of these folders automatically. Brilliant. Plus i can see all photos in one view- found it very annoying on the N97 that you had to spilt between captured and downloaded (particularly as some captured photos randomly ended up in the downloaded section!)

Old 19-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Got it!

Made 30 in the process too

WOW, the thing is awesome. It's so quick, and everything works perfectly!

The web browser is just like a PC one, everything loads (flash etc) and the pages zooms around very smoothly, even on heavy sites like the BBC.

The app store loaded with apps, and even has my favourite Iphone app, paper toss! Love it.

I also like the facebook integration. My contacts list has the profile pic from FB and also a status update.

So far, the only negative thing is that the headphones can't separate at the remote so I can't use my own. Also, the remote has no volume control which is stupid.

To say I'm happy is an understement!

Old 19-04-2010, 04:44 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Congrats BB, just been around a few phone shops today looking at other potentials, the sticking point at the moment seems to be Android ability to sync with Mac. Spoke to one guy in CPW who just didn't know any 'technical' type questions, and one guy in Phones 4 U who just told me info that wasn't accurate.

Did look at the Sony Experia 10, but wasn't too impressed with the speed of it, didn't seem any faster than the N97 to be honest. Need to investigate further.

Still in Blighty, so might have a few more shopping days til the airpalnes get back into the air !!
RM-530
E72-1

Old 20-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Can you get Google calendar sync for the MAC? It's a little app which syncs outlook mail with Google calendar on the web which in turn syncs with the phone. Not sure if this would be of use to you?

Old 20-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
Can you get Google calendar sync for the MAC? It's a little app which syncs outlook mail with Google calendar on the web which in turn syncs with the phone. Not sure if this would be of use to you?
Yes, I have Google Sync set up with the Mac. When I first got the N97, there was no iSync plug in available, so had to use this method to sync the laptop with Google, then synced Google with the phone.

Spent about 20 mins today playing with the Desire , trying to get it to tether with the Mac, couldn't get it to work, but there is an app for Android which allows it to happen, so might look at that. Odd thing was that the CPW were trying to cahrge me 449 for the phone today, even though in their shops, the ticket price for PAYG is 399 + 10 top up . Something about not having any PAYG handsets in store.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 22-04-2010, 08:24 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit44 View Post
I sold my N97 and got a HTC desire 5 days ago, and so far......

no crashes, no hanging, no problems AT ALL. And its fast, damn fast. Android has been a breath of fresh air.

The app store is far more mature, and you get so many things free that you have to pay for with the N97, such as threaded message apps, decent games. Oh, and i don't have to pay for Pdf viewer etc, and i get free google maps (with navigation - not strictly 'direct')
Yep, you're having the epiphany I had when I junked my N97 for a Milestone in December. Against the odds, Android seems more 'mature' than Symbian after only being around for a couple of years. The Market in particular knocks Ovi into a cocked hat.

If you have Android 1.6 or greater, Google has recently enabled the whizzy (and free) turn-by-turn navigation for the UK, so grab the latest version of Google Maps from the Market if you haven't already!

Old 22-04-2010, 09:15 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
The only plus now of Ovi Maps vs Google, is offline mode. I can use Ovi if I am abroad in the US for example without incurring silly roaming data charges.

Old 22-04-2010, 09:27 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringent View Post
The only plus now of Ovi Maps vs Google, is offline mode. I can use Ovi if I am abroad in the US for example without incurring silly roaming data charges.
True, there are 'offline' solutions for Android but you have to pay for them (CoPilot live is around 20 I think).

For the occasional bit of navigation I do, paying for a few Kb of data to get me out of a spot is acceptable.

Old 24-04-2010, 02:21 PM

knh4 is on a distinguished road
Got rid of my N97 yesterday. 180 from a mobile recyclying website which wasnt too bad and plumped like many of you for the Desire and must say one of the more intelligent decisions ive made in a long time.
Really disappointed with the N97 considering ive used mainly used Nokias ever since the old 402's.
Just need to find a case and some screen protectors for my HTC now considering how beautiful it is im scared i might accidently scratch the screen or something.

Last edited by knh4; 24-04-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Old 24-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Well, I'm back in Saudi now, didn't quite get round to picking up a Desire, thought long and hard about it, looked at other possibilities, Sony Ericsson Experia X10 and the forthcoming Samsung I9000 Galaxy - both Android, and this does seem to be inspiring some nice phones.

I have now put the N97 away, and dug out the old and very trusty N95 which is back to being my main phone.

Had a quick look around a couple of phone shops today in Saudi and the Desire & Experia X10 are not yet on sale out here, so will carry on with the N95 and see what is available when I'm back in Blighty in the late summer.

Good luck to all you new Desire owners.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 24-04-2010, 10:01 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Those of you who did recycle your phones, how cosmetically damaged were your phones? About the only problem with my N97 is the the paint flecks coming off around the rims and a few minor scratches.

The thing has held up well considering the amount of times I've dropped it on the floor.

I too am tempted either for the Desire or NexusOne, but the thing that's putting me off at the moment is at least the lack of onboard memory and the mono speaker on the back.

What's the sound quality like through the built in speaker compared to the N97?