All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Any new on a new Firmware update?

Surely it must be time for another update, or are Nokia dropping the N97 from thier radar too?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
I really wouldn't expect much they may try and patch some stability and mem issues but you can't make a silk purse out of steaming pile of doo doo. Basically the hardware platform is so limited and stuggling so much that there's not a lot they can do with it and as a bsusiness decision I fully expect them to quietly walk away from it. The devices are so notorious and unpopular that really there's nothing they can do subststantively to correct that, so I would expect them to focus their efforts on new devices which they actually can do something about rather than flogging the dead horse that is the N97 (they of course can walk away I'm stuck for at least another 9 months - without writing off £400 and whatever new handset costs). Think of the time wasted trying to get the N97 to work at all rather than deliver a modern UI and it's mindboggling. I guess the 6/7 months between 12/2008 and 6/2009 were trying to shoe-horn it into cr*p hardware after all the 5800 was out in Nov or Dec of 2008 and the N97 was barely different apart from the non appearing transitions and (in)active homescreen widgets which don't work and they have spent another six months polishing the turd to get it to something like fit-for-release state adding only kinetic scrolling.

It's bad for me personally but in business terms it makes sense to forget about it and do something for the future. The damage in PR terms has already been done as those with a brain have dropped the device and gone on to patures new so the only users left are the Nolia fanbois who'll swallow anything or those like me trapped by their contract situations who are probably so livid already there's not a lot of difference.

What effect this will have on their future high end devices we shall see, I think the negative experience of so many like me will truly come back to haunt them and in my shareholder hat I'm very concerned about that. It's the sillent resentful majority who'll never buy a top end Nokia again and will try to dissuade their friends and family from doing so, a sort of reverse iPhone evangelism. At a time when Nokia needed all the help it could muster (not in it's arrogance it saw that) to fend off the Apple challenge it has kneed it's high-end loyal customers in the groin with the one of the worst phones possibly of the decade (including Sony P990) and not taken ownership of the issues or done anything substantive to help or recompense them. I'm sure this will have repercussions and I only hope fopr Nokia's sake that they've been exagerating the actual numbers sold as opposed to in the retail channel because the less sold the less Nokia hostile consumers there'll be.
Ads

Old 07-01-2010, 05:53 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
I guess the 6/7 months between 12/2008 and 6/2009 were trying to shoe-horn it into cr*p hardware after all the 5800 was out in Nov or Dec of 2008 and the N97 was barely different apart from the non appearing transitions and (in)active homescreen widgets which don't work and they have spent another six months polishing the turd to get it to something like fit-for-release state adding only kinetic scrolling.
That for me, is one of 2009s greatest mysteries. What did they spend all their time and effort on between the launch of the 5800 and the N97? Especially since the N97 was so rough when it first came out.

As a shareholder, you should find articles like this a little alarming:

http://www.economist.com/businessfin...ry_id=15213843

Quote:
Worse, while dealing with these problems, Nokia has seemed to neglect its main business. The first version of its flagship smart-phone, called the N97, was a let-down. It has as many bells and whistles as a Swiss army knife, says Carolina Milanesi of Gartner, a market-research firm, but its software, based on Symbian, makes them almost impossible to use. “It is like having a Ferrari body with a Fiat Cinquecento engine inside,” she says.

..snip..

Yet it is an entirely different question whether Nokia will manage to dominate the mobile industry once more—not just by handset volumes, but by innovation and profits. The example of the computer industry, in which the centre of gravity began shifting from hardware firms to providers of software and services over two decades ago, is not terribly encouraging: of the industry’s former giants, only IBM really made the shift successfully.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:12 AM

symbianst3ph3n is on a distinguished road
An employer from nokia named xbungle in the nokia discussions forum stated that we were getting a firmware update last year december

Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM

Mmmmmm I know and Eldar from Mobile Review twittered that 2.1 was being loaded into servers on 26/12/09 (although he's been off a bit recently - see his dismissal of Google phone rumours - subsequently proven true) .

Still yet to be seen in the wild tho' and given numbering if that is it's denomination I wouldn't really expect much this handset is well off Nokia's radar they aren't even showing it (alledged Symbian Flagship) at CES but rather the N900 and N97mini - guess even Nokia have grace to be embarrassed about N97, just keeping quiet about it.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM

chris-red is on a distinguished road
I'm toying with the idea of just biting the bullet and buying an Iphone and dumping this POS.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I went through a 'dark spell' with this phone and was on teh verge of selling it and buying something different, vowing never to give my hard earned to Nokia ever again. However, all the other phones I looked at were Nokia's ( E75, E71 / E72 ) as I liked the idea of a physical qwerty. Not many touchscreen phones have a hard keyboard too, so the choice is limited.

With the new firmware though, the phone is more stable though, so will hang onto it now I think, but when the time comes for a replacement I can't see myself forking out for anotehr 'flagship ' Nokia.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 13-01-2010, 12:21 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
I won't be buying another nokia. i've never been so pi$$ed off with a device as I am with my n97.

Rarely do anything with my freeware site anymore. CBA.

Thanks for that nokia...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 13-01-2010, 01:15 PM

Another satisfied punter.

Gonna be interesting to see how well their next flagship sells for first 3 months of it's life.

iPhone 4G rumoured being brought up to April release......................... and I'm not a fan but my g/f's canes my N97 at EVERYTHING apart from camera

Old 14-01-2010, 09:33 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Googles Nexus might be my next phone

Old 14-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Gizn is on a distinguished road
Gota say that the N97 has really put me off Nokia too. The whole thing has been terrible form beginning to end. Now if I don't change the theme from the nokia ones and no wallpapers it remains up OKish. I just hope the new iPhone multitasks cause that's what I'll head over to.
Years of Nokia (20) flushed down the drain.
The way they have behaved is the perfect way to get rid of all of the customers. Looks great on paper but in the end terrible design, hopeless FW and a huge lack of testing. At this rate Nokia is going the same way as Sun.

Old 14-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
I've always had Nokia and i'm fine with the N97 at the minute, but my next phone will almost definitely be an Android (unless the iPhone 4 comes with some new amazing feature) My brother just ordered the Nexus and is loving it.

Who do you want creating apps for your phone, Google, or Nokia, who have completely forgotten to move with the times. I vote Android for market dominance.

Old 14-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Gizn is on a distinguished road
The question is do you really want Google having complete access to you phone, apps and data? I really don't trust those guys in the slightest. I think both Apple and Nokia are a little less into 'borrowing' your data.

Old 14-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Some twitter chat noise about the infamous V2.1 so may be imminent

Well now they've got mammoth N900 update and N86 and 5800 done they may get round to fixing the supposed working out the box flagship.

Makes ya feel all special and loved doesn't it

Old 15-01-2010, 08:18 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
If its broke ... They can't be bothered to fix it. I've also heard the Twit chat. Its just chat. Again, like the v20 firmware release, don't hold your breath until its official. I'm already thinking of my upgrade in March. Hoping there will be something worth getting.