All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-11-2009, 01:58 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Phone Handset Sold my N97

After 6 months of frustration, confusion and a little fun, I've finally placed a sell order for my N97 on Mazuma, and ordered my replacement phone.

Mazuma are only offering 210, which is around 60% depreciation over 6 months, but it about what the N97 is worth IMHO

I've sold previous phones on eBay, but the bay is awash with N97s at the moment, with even a brand new N97 mini only fetching ~250 and many used N97 auctions attracting no bids.

EDIT: TurtlePower gets the free tracks!

EDIT: BanziBarn gets the case!

I thank you, and goodnight.

Last edited by celios; 01-12-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Edited after voucher for free tracks & case claimed

Old 30-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
There goes another Nokia customer gone out the door.

My N97 has been behaving itself recently now that I install apps on the micro SD card and not mass memory.

Wouldn't mind an upgrade, but not sure what to go for. An N900? (More money in Nokia's pocket) An Iphone? Can get one free in February when my Missus' O2 contract is up? I like the look of the HTC HD2, but read it's quite flawed so skip that. Not sure really.

Any ideas?
Ads

Old 30-11-2009, 02:09 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Oh noes and you were supposed to relight my fire for my (lemo)N97.

Been looking at prices on fleabay for a while and yeah it's awash I reckon you are best off with Mazuma - actually slightly surprised they're giving that much for it not changed much for last 4 weeks whilst ebay prices collapsing.

Are you going off to get a proper phone with the proceeds or just getting rid of it before goes <100 ?

Old 30-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post

My N97 has been behaving itself recently now that I install apps on the micro SD card and not mass memory.

Wouldn't mind an upgrade, but not sure what to go for. An N900? (More money in Nokia's pocket) An Iphone? Can get one free in February when my Missus' O2 contract is up? I like the look of the HTC HD2, but read it's quite flawed so skip that. Not sure really.

Any ideas?
After 5 years of buying successive Nokia handsets, like you I couldn't stomach another Nokia. It's not just the faults with the N97 - of which there are many - it's the way Nokia have dealt with them (or rather haven't dealt with them, tried to sweep them under the carpet, and then finally in a blaze of non-publicity, sneaked out fixes quietly).

I'm going for a Motorola Milestone, the UK version of the "Droid":
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/GB...GB-EN.vertical

Coming to the UK on 7th Dec apparently and to my eyes seems to offer a combination of N97 and N900. The camera ain't the best, but I haven't been using my N97 camera much for fear of scratching the lens so I'm used to not taking many photos on my phone!

I've been interested in Android for a while and doing a little research over the last month, I've been pleasantly surprised how many great apps there are for Android, and how cheap they seem to be compared to Symbian equivalents! That and the fact I'm a big Gmail user means the integration with Google's services is a big plus - I have just migrated my contacts and calendar out of Outlook and into Google.

I'll post again here once I've had it for a few weeks and feel able to offer a comparison with the N97 / Series 60.

Old 30-11-2009, 02:27 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
Mmmm, looks promising, but Motorola? Didn't they go down with the Ark?

Old 30-11-2009, 02:56 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Startac is still going strong!

( i think that was a motorola!!)

Old 30-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought! Although I don't think brand loyalty is too great an idea these days based on my experience of Nokia (and SonyEricsson towards the end).

Motorola changed CEO a while back and the new man is going all out - guns blazing - for Android. Which makes sense as their hardware was always OK (I also had the original StarTAC and remember it fondly ) but they let themselves down with the UI.

I'll let you know how I like it once I have it (sometime soon after 7th Dec hopefully).

Old 30-11-2009, 03:05 PM

The StarTAC was my 1st mobile phone - like a house brick ( breeze block if you had the extended duration battery) with a flip front, LCD screen and pull out aerial.

All the rage at the time.

How things have moved on!

Old 30-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlePower View Post
The StarTAC was my 1st mobile phone - like a house brick ( breeze block if you had the extended duration battery) with a flip front, LCD screen and pull out aerial.

All the rage at the time.

How things have moved on!
Think you're getting mixup with something else.. this is the StarTAC

And it was incredibly small for the time (1996). It's smaller and lighter than the N97...

Maybe you are thinking of this bad boy, the incorrectly named MicroTAC?...

Old 30-11-2009, 03:35 PM

yep thats it! the MacroTac!!

The StarTac must have been what i aspired to own!!

I think were getting off topic slightly!!!

Your right though it was a bad boy - i'm sure the standard battery only lasted a day at work if you didnt get too many calls

Old 30-11-2009, 04:12 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
The StarTac at the time was one of the smallest most compact phones on the market - remember the tv ad's very well ( bikini clad woman walking along a beach, being ogled by bloke, phone rings, she pulls out her StarTac - no I don't know she had the phone......

Would be interested also Celios in your adventures in the Motorola, had a brief review from londoner888 and his iPhone after he had ditched the N97.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 30-11-2009, 05:35 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
I shall miss reading your posts Celios

Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 PM

jstockda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
After 6 months of frustration, confusion and a little fun, I've finally placed a sell order for my N97 on Mazuma, and ordered my replacement phone.

Mazuma are only offering 210, which is around 60% depreciation over 6 months, but it about what the N97 is worth IMHO

I've sold previous phones on eBay, but the bay is awash with N97s at the moment, with even a brand new N97 mini only fetching ~250 and many used N97 auctions attracting no bids.

EDIT: TurtlePower gets the free tracks!

EDIT: BanziBarn gets the case!

I thank you, and goodnight.

I've dumped Nokia as well. Currently playing with the Samsung I8910. I get a full GPS signal in my house. Although I think the N97 could easily be much better than the Samsung, I can't cope with the useless GPS and everyone in Nokia denying it's a problem.
The Samsung also lets me download firmware to my PC and not have to rely on the update suite. I can flash using the Symbian flash tool and put on any firmware I like. Tried Hong Kong yesterday for a laugh, like you do.

It's interesting to see the similar comments from Samsung customers re: firmware updates etc. Must be a global mobile phone manufactuter ploy. Make the people test the equipment real time.
I'll keep reading this forum though as you guys make my day, especially as I'm over in New Zealand so every morning it's like having a fresh book to read.
Cheers

Old 02-12-2009, 06:03 AM

t4inc is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Any ideas?
Whatever you do, do NOT get that piece of garbage from Cupertino. An iphone is great if you're a teenybopper who fancies movies like twilight and such but you're better-off with the N97.

True fact: I recently got an Samsung Omnia II for my wife and substituted it for my N97 for a full 2 weeks before I gave it to her. I did this because it had gotten so many rave reviews that I was half-expecting the reviewers the break-out out their Samsung business cards.

Sure the screen is wonderful but it's just so much eye candy; even running at full-bore, it takes the Omnia II's 800mHz processor nearly 3 seconds just to display the underlying menu.

What's more, while it has 256MB of RAM, at one point in time, memory ran so low that it had 8MB free -- but I wasn't even running much in the background except its critically acclaimed Opera Browser (another piece of garbage, by the way).

This is the same phone that was receiving rave reviews from AMERICAN mobile sites! Incidentally, the same site that gave the Omnia II glowing reviews just reviewed the HD2 and observed that even with a snapdragon processor, it was prone to freezing and lock-ups.

I also had the chance to use an HTC Magic when my mobile carrier offered it. Garbage. I sold it at 30% off.

If you have any inclination to surf the internet on your mobile, the N97 is still far better than either the iPhone 3Gs. I don't know what the big deal with the spacebar placement is; if you've used the N97 for any decent length of time, you'll find that the idea of placing it to the right is inspired. It's just so much easier using it with your thumb.

In contrast, I see people using the iphone and having to retrain their fingers as organic styli. In fact, the Omnia II's keyboard is superior in terms of usability.

That said, in terms of general, daily usability, anything built on top of Windows Mobile is basically garbage, no matter how much customization the manufacturer builds over the UI.

One post I read sums it up: building Touchflow 3D or Widgets UI over Winmo 6.5 is a like building a swanky condo at the penthouse level of a building that should be scheduled for demolition.

Personally, I don't really find anything especially wrong with the N97; I think many of us readers who frequent the sites are just getting swept-up in the anti-Nokia rhetoric that a small but vocal minority on the internet have been propagating.

The markets have it another way: Nokia have sold over 2 million N97s, notwithstanding the histrionics over scratched lenses and its "unimpressive" UI.

Also, the N97 is derided for not having a dedicated 3D accelerator. BIG DEAL. I play a lot of games and I have a machine for that: it's called a desktop PC. I mean, do you play games like Dragon Age: Origins? I do. I would never play it on a mobile phone so I don't understand what the big deal is with gaming on a mobile.

For casual gaming in the subway or the toilet, I guess it's fine if you're into that stuff. I, for one, can't imagine why you'd want to twiddle with an expensive device like the iphone in a crowded subway car where a nudge from someone can cause you to drop it.

So stick with your N97 or get an N900.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM

spice3d is on a distinguished road
I still feel like the N97 is a firmware rev away from being usable and two revs to be awesome. I think about other phones, but it takes one Joikuspot use to squash those thoughts.