All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 AM

linuxmagnate is on a distinguished road
Not happy with Nokia - can anyone help?

Hi all,

I've come here after giving up on the official Nokia forum (http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discu...=communicators) - I've never seen a forum with so many questions and so few answers. Nobody knows anything, and no official Nokia staff ever respond to posts - the forum is clearly there as a vent and nothing more.

Anyway, I've had my E90 for about six months now, and while I'm reasonably happy with the hardware, certain things about the software are really starting to bug me. I've asked Nokia directly about these by using the email support form on the official site, and I've had totally unhelpful responses. Any tips greatly appreciated, even if it's just to know someone else has experienced one of these:

1. The PC suite software sometimes overwrites a newer file in My Documents\Briefcase with an older one from the phone. I can't seem to see what's causing this; most of the time it correctly keeps the newer file. It might be because "My Documents" is on a network drive [Y:] - does anyone have any experience with this?

2. The E90 web browser seems to allow only one level of bookmark folders. This is very painful as I have about 400 bookmarks arranged in a hierarchy of folders. The bookmarks are all there - when I sync from the E90 to a new PC all 400 show up in IE under Mobile Bookmarks - but only the top level is accessible in the E90 browser. Does anyone know a way to solve this? If not, is there a 3rd-party web browser which supports a bookmark folder hierarchy?

3. Still on bookmarks, the E90 browser seems to have six utterly infuriatingly useless bookmarks hard-coded into it ("Download apps", "Download images", etc. etc.). Every time I delete them from IE, they get restored on the next sync. This is really really poor - does anyone know a way to delete these? Again, a 3rd party browser would work, if one exists.

4. The E90 contacts client does not support LDAP. Is there a contacts app which will look up contacts on a remote LDAP server?

Grateful for any views or advice from other E90 users.

Regards,

CC

Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Can't see any postings with your name on those boards, so I don't know whether your question would've been answered there or not. Maybe you used a different alias there?

Anyway...

1. No such experience. Are you using the latest PC Suite version from http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite If you are, then report it to Nokia directly via, e.g., http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4222231

2. Opera Mobile, maybe: http://www.opera.com

3. Fixed in firmware (ROM, Read-Only Memory). No way to delete.

4. Don't know, but a separate application wouldn't integrate that well into the other built-in apps/functionality, either. See the "Software" and "Shop" links above on this page.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:55 PM

linuxmagnate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Can't see any postings with your name on those boards, so I don't know whether your question would've been answered there or not. Maybe you used a different alias there?
Yes. I use Magnate unless it's already taken, like it was here.
Quote:
Anyway...

1. No such experience. Are you using the latest PC Suite version ... If you are, then report it to Nokia directly
I'm using 7.0.9.2, which I think is the latest. Will do more testing to determine exactly what causes it to keep the wrong version, but I'm not hopeful of much help from Nokia, based on what I've seen so far.
Quote:
2. Opera Mobile
Thank you - Opera Mobile isn't supported on the E90 and they recommend Opera Mini, so I'll try that and see.
Quote:
3. Fixed in firmware (ROM, Read-Only Memory). No way to delete.
Truly crapulent marketing-driven design.
Quote:
4. Don't know, but a separate application wouldn't integrate that well into the other built-in apps/functionality, either. See the "Software" and "Shop" links above on this page.
Indeed - I may have the same problem with Opera (e.g. if it supports my bookmark structure but won't sync). But I'd rather have an LDAP contacts app, however poorly it integrates. Will check out the links.

Thanks for the prompt reply,

CC
(Quotes edited to remove urls and satisfy forum nannying)
Ads

Old 18-12-2008, 09:11 PM

swingerman is on a distinguished road
Hi,

3. You can't delete these bookmarks, but you can move them to the end of the list. I did it like that, and they don't bother me any more.

Interresting, that I have to select the move command and choose position twice to move the bookmarks...

Cheers,