All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
N73 Preview - Nseries multimedia all rounder

Following on from our first looks at the N72 and N93 Rafe previews the Nokia N73 the new all around multimedia Nseries S60 phone from Nokia. He concludes that as a modestly sized phone with a 3.2 megapixel camera, advanced music capabilities and backed by S60 3rd Edition it is a worthy sucessor to the Nokia N70.

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I think the N73 is going to be the killer phone for Nokia this summer - it has just the right mix of features and size to make it an instant sales hit.

Rafe, I don't agree that the N72 will sell more - I don't see why people will go for it when they can get an N70 cheaper and easier (and with 3G). They'll sacrifice the design for the price in that case....

and on that subject - a few times through the review you say N72 when I'm sure you mean N73...

Old 27-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Must be going ga ga - corrected the two N72 to N73's.

I still think the N72 will sell more. However it is going to sell in Asia and other emerging markets not in the traditionally strong Western European market (that's where the N73 will sell). The N73 will be up against other S60 phone, while I think the N72 may have less direct competition in its respective market.

Old 27-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
That's very true - I must admit I'd been mainly considering the European market in my comments.

The N72 may be at a small disadvantage in some other markets though - they don't have the same fan-boy mentality to S60 and Symbian - although a fair few phones out there do run Symbian (FOMA et al), they don't seem to mind what the OS is as much as the European or US markets do. (for the US, read Palm)

Bearing in mind that the N72 is basically last year's design, it will potentially be up against (better) offerings from the likes of SE and Moto.

Old 28-04-2006, 06:05 PM

MarcTGFG is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

None of them will sell that well, unless and until they are actually released ;-)

Now it may cheer us up a little bit to know that Nokia Germany is listing the N80 as immediately available and their German online shop even has the N71, N80, N91 and E60 listed as immediately available. No mention of the E61 and E70 though :-(