All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 23-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
One in four developers happy to support Symbian

29% of developers support Symbian, says Millennial Media, with 100% of them supporting iOS. While that sounds like a bad statistic for Symbian, it’s worth examining the data to conclude that this is healthy for a huge number of mobile operating systems. More below...

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Why doesn't Ovi suite support quickly purchasing and downloading application from Ovi Store so they can be later installed on the device. Although I'm all for making phone a standalone device but such a functionality would only help improve the experience.

The current Ovi Store experience on the PC is rather clumsy. You have to go to the site which sends an SMS to your phone and then you connect via phone, the link takes you to the mobile site, which inturn opens Ovi Store and then you get to the page that gives you the download link. What can't I simply download the app directly onto the PC and it gets invisibly transferred and installed on the phone?

Old 23-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Unregistered

The equation is REALLY simple. There are already many tens of millions of Symbian phones in use every day that have the Ovi Store client on them, or access to Ovi Store. This is going to rapidly grow to 100 million, 200 million and beyond (given Symbian devices are selling already at 300,000/day which is over 100 million per year).

Ovi Store basically works, even though it's not perfect (incidentally it is WAY better than Android store which by all accounts doesn't make devs any significant money). Meanwhile all those Symbian device owners are sitting there being hammered with news of apps on iPhone and Android, and of course on Ovi Store.

Who in their right mind doesn't think this is going to create HUGE demand, and HUGE rewards for any developers with half a clue.

Developers need to stop being led like sheep by media nonsense and out of date rubbish about Symbian and Nokia, and see what a vast collective chunk of money awaits them on Nokia/Symbian.

You wait and see - Nokia/Symbian/Ovi is going to be the most almighty software goldrush the industry's seen in a LONG time, and any developer that doesn't see that is short sighted and going to miss out big time.

I'm a mobile software developer and made a carefully considered choice to not support iPhone and Android and looking at the competition on those platforms, I know I definitely made the right choice.

Old 23-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

AM tranok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Developers need to stop being led like sheep by media nonsense and out of date rubbish about Symbian and Nokia, and see what a vast collective chunk of money awaits them on Nokia/Symbian.

You wait and see - Nokia/Symbian/Ovi is going to be the most almighty software goldrush the industry's seen in a LONG time, and any developer that doesn't see that is short sighted and going to miss out big time.
"a vast collective chunk of money"... LOL... sure, good luck with that theory of yours mate.

OVI Store has a long, long way to improve the user experience.

Old 23-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

There was an initial lucrative period for iPhone apps, then it got saturated. Same happened with Android. I am predicting a lucrative period also with QT as apps are developed based no the most popular App Store / Android market apps.

There will be a QT period where money can be made, but it won't last long and those that will benefit should have already started work. Start now and you've already missed the boat.

Old 23-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Agreed 100%

I am a developer and I wholehartedly agree with this statement!

"Developers need to stop being led like sheep by media nonsense and out of date rubbish about Symbian and Nokia, and see what a vast collective chunk of money awaits them on Nokia/Symbian."

Old 23-08-2010, 04:02 PM
bp101

"Developers need to stop being led like sheep by media nonsense and out of date rubbish about Symbian and Nokia, and see what a vast collective chunk of money awaits them on Nokia/Symbian."

Devs need to stop viewing app stores as little more than a get rich quick scheme. Good software will make money regardless of what platform it is on; bad software won't.

Truth is, if a developer can make a living from mobile apps then they're doing well. A cash cow it certainly isn't.

Old 23-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Well, from what I understand, most of the major third party developers are now located in the U.S., and a large portion of them on the West Coast; as a result, they're going to focus on the main platforms that they see around them: Android, iOS and Blackberry.

People may not like that, but you have to deal with reality.

Besides, a kid in his dorm in, say, UC Berkeley developing, for example a high end mobile gaming application or a comics viewer or what have you, has little incentive to port his app over for legacy S60v3 devices around the world, then he would simply for an iPhone or Droid.

Many modern apps are also data, processor and graphics intensive which is fine for, say, an HTC Evo. For somebody's Nokia E61 or N85 in Romania or Indonesia, likely on limited pay-go data availability (which would have to include multi language support), not so much.

Also, you can wax poetic on what developers *should* do; it doesn't mean they *will* do. I think the major opportunity for application development for Nokia devices is going to be Meego; with Symbian, only with S^4 and the backwards compatibility break.

Last edited by Jimmy1; 23-08-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 23-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

First of all, when it comes to Nokia as a developer you should concentrate on supporting Meego first. Meego is where all of Nokia's top spec devices will be.

Old 23-08-2010, 06:14 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh View Post
Why doesn't Ovi suite support quickly purchasing and downloading application from Ovi Store so they can be later installed on the device. Although I'm all for making phone a standalone device but such a functionality would only help improve the experience.

The current Ovi Store experience on the PC is rather clumsy. You have to go to the site which sends an SMS to your phone and then you connect via phone, the link takes you to the mobile site, which inturn opens Ovi Store and then you get to the page that gives you the download link. What can't I simply download the app directly onto the PC and it gets invisibly transferred and installed on the phone?
Most likely, because Ovi Store doesn't currently have any kind of copy protection/DRM, no activation/registration keys & such, and not even any PC Suite/Ovi Suite mechanism to keep the downloads "secure" (encrypted) on the PC.

Without such mechanisms, if they allowed app PC downloads from Ovi Store, you could simply buy one copy and then post the file on the net or send it friends and family without them having to pay anything to get the file.

Old 23-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Well, from what I understand, most of the major third party developers are now located in the U.S., and a large portion of them on the West Coast;
Many are, but "most" is an overstatement.

Old 23-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
First of all, when it comes to Nokia as a developer you should concentrate on supporting Meego first. Meego is where all of Nokia's top spec devices will be.
If you want to get paid today, it is probably better to develop for an existing platform.

There's no single Nokia MeeGo device announced yet. How long will it take until there is, and how much longer until Nokia has sold millions of them?

Old 24-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Will81

Potential

["The equation is REALLY simple. There are already many tens of millions of Symbian phones in use every day that have the Ovi Store client on them, or access to Ovi Store. This is going to rapidly grow to 100 million, 200 million and beyond (given Symbian devices are selling already at 300,000/day which is over 100 million per year)."]

Just because there are a lot of Symbian handsets out there does not necessarily mean that there will be a lot of downloads from the Ovi Store. I'm pretty sure that 95+% of iPhone owners would have visited and downloaded something from the App Store but I'm sure the percentage of Symbian^1 handset owners visiting and downloading something from the Ovi Store is much lower.

Nokia needs to get some great titles onto the Ovi Store. Learn something from Google and Microsoft. PAY software houses to develop graphically rich games and apps (just like what Microsoft is doing on WP7). Run competitions like "app-of-the-week" and "app-of-the-month" with large $10,000-$25,000 cash prizes to entice other developers.

Then Nokia needs to promote the hell out of the Ovi Store and SHOW users the range of apps/games they can get on their Symbian^3 phone. Apple did that with the iPhone 3G and iPhone OS 2.0 with print and TV ads and there is no doubt that apps is what is driving sales of the iPhone.

Finally since mobile gaming seems to be gaining a lot of momentum, Nokia needs to update the hardware on their phones. Their mass-market, mid-range phones (like the C6) should at least have 256 MB of RAM, an ARMv7 CPU running at a minimum of 600 MHz and a GPU capable of supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 (like the PowerVR SGX on the iPhone 3Gs/4). Developers need to know the base specs of the mass-market devices so they can tailor apps to the device. Microsoft is doing this with WP7 with the Chassis 1 specs which are MUCH higher than what I listed.

Old 24-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Unregistered

Symbian almighty goldrush

Quote:
Most developers are rational, and follow market demand: the market demand is for iPhone and Android, which are both heavily promoted by the operators. The problem Symbian has is that most of the people who have a Symbian phone don't use it as a smartphone, and don't think of it as a smartphone. They use the camera or music player. They are not an apps market. In the future Meego is what Nokia's high end smartphones will run, so I can't see that changing.

Quote:
I'm a mobile software developer and made a carefully considered choice to not support iPhone and Android and looking at the competition on those platforms, I know I definitely made the right choice.
You *hope* you made the right choice. There, I fixed it for you.
Ads

Old 24-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Most developers are rational, and follow market demand: the market demand is for iPhone and Android, which are both heavily promoted by the operators.
No. You have oversimplified. It's not just demand, it's SUPPLY and demand and there is too much supply for iPhone and Android already. There is no real appeal for developers to develop an app where there are already 20 free ones on the store/market.

Quote:
In the future Meego is what Nokia's high end smartphones will run, so I can't see that changing.

Oversimplified again. The future for Nokia platform developers is not Meego, it's Qt.

And I've seen the N9. No way I'm carrying that lump around. Can't see it being mass market.

The truth is that the popularity of App store and then Android market is waking up Symbian users to the possibilities of buying apps. And the Ovi store use show the figures ramping up. Symbian is the next rich seam. There will be a window of opportunity, before it too gets saturated.