All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 17-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
White Buds, Black Remotes and the Unimportance of Shouting

One of the subjects that I like to keep coming back to is the lack of visibility that Nokia has in social media, not from content that the company creates itself (their official blog at conversations.nokia.com being one of the better corporate blogs out there), but the visibility created by reporters and consumers using and talking about the device. Because of where Nokia is geographically popular (or not), they've lost the adulation that other rival devices have. Read on for my musings....

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Unregistered

This is a little odd, I just read the the other day some authoratative source praising Nokia for being so great and strong at engaging through exactly this channel of social media etc, and now this article says the exact opposite - wierd! Maybe a matter of perception?

Old 17-02-2010, 02:58 PM

rcadden is on a distinguished road
What's more interesting is that for all the shouting and yelling about new products/apps/etc at MWC, not a single one is available TODAY, for me to buy/download/use.

From Samsung and HTC's new hardware to Windows Phone 7 to TAT's new Android homescreen to SPB's Mobile Shell 5, NOTHING is available right now. It's all at least a month or two away.

Nokia, who didn't shout about anything, really (save for MeeGo), could *easily* announce a phone next week at some private Nokia-only event and start shipping it a week later - much to the chagrin of the other companies that spent MILLIONS on their MWC presence.

Granted, history doesn't really indicate Nokia *will* do this, but the point is, they COULD.

I mean, currently the company doesn't have a single smartphone that's been announced and isn't shipping, save for perhaps the 16GB version of the X6, which doesn't really count, IMO. They're due for an announcement, and if they are able to ship it quickly, they'll actually have the cheaper upper hand.

Old 17-02-2010, 03:22 PM

brrip is on a distinguished road
Nokia has dropped the ball a little in the last two years, but I feel like this is a bit like the Windows/Mac issue. Though Microsoft's dominance in the OS market is a lot bigger than Nokia's on the mobile front, they're both clearly in the lead when it comes to their field. And nobody roots for the giants, so it's simply a matter of picking out the faults. But hey people, you can think macs are shiny all you want, but when time comes to pick a computer, most people STILL get PCs.

Same issue for Nokia and iPhone/Android/(do I even put Palm here?). I admittedly got carried away and did try out iPhone and Android out, but they both failed to impress me despite all the hype. Everyone loves the story of a giant slayer, but the story of David and Goliath is not a common one

Old 17-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I was very disappointed when I didn't find one of those in my n900 box. Nor did the one for my n95 work with the n900.

Old 17-02-2010, 09:31 PM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Why do US bloggers deride Symbian?

The mockery of Symbian / Nokia by US bloggers is relentless. Current ZDNet headline is a case in point. See link below

"Symbian will not become extinct, certainly not in Europe and Asia where it has a strong foothold in entry level and high-end camera phone devices. I see Symbian as a weird smartphone infraclass that succeeds elsewhere, like all the strange marsupials which thrive in Australia that exist nowhere else on the planet. Symbian will become the Australidelphia of the Smartphone world. You know, wombats, kangaroos, koalas. That kind of stuff."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=120...ontent;wrapper

Old 18-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

I wonder how Nokia would fair if it had to compete with only one phone. Does anyone really think other than maybe the N97 Mini, Nokia could really compete against an iPhone, or the new Android series phones? Nokia is lucky they have enough crap to throw at the wall and to see what sticks.

As for Ewan's, theory that Nokia wins the war in the Tubes, did he ever stop to consider that not all people use the white crappy headphones that come with the iPhone or the ones that come with Nokia phones? His survey is flawed and pointless actually. Did make for fun but unimpressive reading.

Old 18-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I wonder how Nokia would fair if it had to compete with only one phone. Does anyone really think other than maybe the N97 Mini, Nokia could really compete against an iPhone, or the new Android series phones? Nokia is lucky they have enough crap to throw at the wall and to see what sticks.

As for Ewan's, theory that Nokia wins the war in the Tubes, did he ever stop to consider that not all people use the white crappy headphones that come with the iPhone or the ones that come with Nokia phones? His survey is flawed and pointless actually. Did make for fun but unimpressive reading.

you're right! I'll bet all those nokia remotes were hooked to.. iPhones..
Perhaps your, logic is flawed too eh?

Old 18-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Unregistered

Money often goes a long way in explaining things, such as the negativity against Nokia in the US media.

For example, Nokia is a competitor to US companies, and unlike several Asian manufacturers, it did not decide to use the Google controlled Android operating system, maybe later on it will be strong competitor against Google in terms of advertising etc. Also, historically we usually see protectionism during financial downturns (such as we have now, consider the sky high unemployment rate in the US for example), and more free trade during the boom periods. But protectionism now is not like in the 1930´s, now it is more about propaganda than trade blockades. The best thing Nokia can do in such a scenario is to cooperate more with US companies and make them more "dependent" on Nokia, i.e. that if Nokia fails these companies will also to some extent "fail"; the cooperation with Qualcomm, Intel, Microsoft etc is benign in this sense, also R&D institutions in US. I think Nokia execs are aware of this. What more they may do is put much more money into advertising in the US, maybe cut prices further there etc (initially), cooperate better with the US carriers. (I am observing that on Amazon.com - mostly US customers - , Nokia is actually quite popular, one main reason is the affordability of the phones.)

One may also observe that a lot of the US stock investments abroad has been withdrawn and invested again back home (examplified by the US stock markets like S&P & Nasdaq down only half or less since the 2007 peak than European and Asian stock markets). Finally there´s probably a lot of manipulation and speculation going on, especially in some tech stocks. One could only observe the volatility of companies like Apple and RIM: in 2007 Apple was going from $80 to $2000, in 2008: from $200 down to $120 and up again to $190, in 2009: going from $80 to $200. During the downturn period, one would see a lot of negativity in US media even against Apple.

I think the situation is about to change now. First, Nokia is trading at an "unsustainable" low level, and should only go up from here. This coupled with more good news and less negative news over the next year or two may lead to speculations in Nokia and then we may see it going up quite a lot. This could be accompanied by more positive sentiments in US media. But the macroeconomic situation is still rather shaky, so who knows what will happen going forward.

I am not suggesting these are the only reason for the negativity against Nokia. One should also consider Nokia´s failures, its inferiority in many ways compared to Apple´s iPhone, the bug-ridden recent phones, problems with the Ovi-store, the lack of good apps etc. But this cannot explain why the N900 or the Booklet 3G has gotten so much negative reviews (if at all), or why there´s not similar bad sentiments against other companies, like Motorola which is clearly going downhill.
Ads

Old 18-02-2010, 09:59 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Interesting theory. And how many people were listening on Nokias without using the music controller? No doubt some were, as I often do. And given the slavish nature of many iPhone owners, I'm sure many/most do actually use the crappy ones that come with the iPhone...

What you are basically saying is that Nokia, for all of its market dominance, only makes crap phones, which also means that you have a very low impression of people who buy Nokia phones.

One counter-argument is that Apple only make one phone, and their design team are so blinkered that even when they design a larger device they have to make it look like a big iPhone.

Old 19-02-2010, 05:40 AM

widehead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrip View Post
But hey people, you can think macs are shiny all you want, but when time comes to pick a computer, most people STILL get PCs.
And do you know why they get PCs? Because of the cost.

I have yet to meet one person who has spent more than a month using a mac go back to a PC out of choice. Not one.

Macs and iPhones are not just "shiny", they work better. In the case of touch UIs iPhones win. They just do it better. They lack lots of other cool stuff but no one beats the UI.

This has nothing to do with image. Nokia have dropped the ball with S60 5th Edition because it isn't very good.

Old 19-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by widehead View Post
And do you know why they get PCs? Because of the cost.

I have yet to meet one person who has spent more than a month using a mac go back to a PC out of choice. Not one.

Macs and iPhones are not just "shiny", they work better. In the case of touch UIs iPhones win. They just do it better. They lack lots of other cool stuff but no one beats the UI.

This has nothing to do with image. Nokia have dropped the ball with S60 5th Edition because it isn't very good.
I have met a lot who went back to PC. Just different circle of friends and acquaintances. It does not mean no one did.

work better? , look better? all relative. I take it you are a solid apple user and have decided to be loyal to it so you have that opinion. There is nothing wrong with that.

It's not price only, but there are just some things that are not available on the Mac. So in this case, the PC "is" better.

I'm sure there are a lot of (millions) of happy S60v5 users out there. But again that was an iphone user's opinion

Old 21-02-2010, 04:56 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
From Samsung and HTC's new hardware to Windows Phone 7 to TAT's new Android homescreen to SPB's Mobile Shell 5, NOTHING is available right now. It's all at least a month or two away.

Nokia, who didn't shout about anything, really (save for MeeGo), could *easily* announce a phone next week at some private Nokia-only event and start shipping it a week later - much to the chagrin of the other companies that spent MILLIONS on their MWC presence.

Granted, history doesn't really indicate Nokia *will* do this, but the point is, they COULD.
So you're praising Nokia for something that it hasn't yet done, has never done in the past, and has given no indication it is going to do? That's... bizarre. Very, very bizarre.
Well, in that spirit, let me congratulate Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for single-handedly brokering a long-lasting peace deal in the Middle East. I know, it hasn't happened yet. But it COULD happen, right?