All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Camera is on a distinguished road
Question for D. Dinning : the sensor of the N8

1) Has the camera sensor of the N8 back-light technology (as the EXMOR R of Sony or the Omnivision sensor of the Iphone) ?

2) As you know optical stabilization is a very important feature. You said it is not a technology that can be used for the moment in a smartphone. But this article says that it is possible : http://www.intomobile.com/2010/02/01...mobile-phones/. Can you tell us if you tried this technology ?

Thx

Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
I'm not Damian Dinning, but he has answered at least the first question .... several times.

Nope, it is not using a backlit sensor, and interestingly that on its own isn't enough to give good results - witness the whacky colour balance on the iPhone 4 (backlit sensor) and the Sony HX-5 (backlit sensor, dedicated camera) that got comprehensively beaten by the N8 on a blind imaging test.

Optical image stabilisation would require more than just a fancy liquid lens - thats only part of the issue. At the end of the day a stabilisation system will only work to some extent, it'll never totally remove camera shake. Unless you get an N8 harnessed into some type of steadycam rig.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I am looking forward to reading D. Dinning's answer.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 AM

djfoxi is on a distinguished road
Today i took a look to the camera lens from the N8 by a microscop. After starting the camera mode, the mechanical shutter open.

You can see at every autofocus, the lens inside moves a little bit...

But if you shine with a high brightness (Like sunlight) in the lens, a semi transparent shutter (like a sunglass) drives into the optical system.It isn't the mechanical shutter.
I never seen befor @ other cameras...

Last edited by djfoxi; 05-11-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Ads

Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 AM

JayTay is on a distinguished road
I believe the N95 also had the "filter" slide in when using in bright sunlight.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfoxi View Post
Today i took a look to the camera lens from the N8 by a microscop. After starting the camera mode, the mechanical shutter open.

You can see at every autofocus, the lens inside moves a little bit...

But if you shine with a high brightness (Like sunlight) in the lens, a semi transparent shutter (like a sunglass) drives into the optical system.It isn't the mechanical shutter.
I never seen befor @ other cameras...
The N95 (and N85?) had this - its an ND (neutral density) filter. Popular with photographers and enthusiasts.

As the aperture doesn't change on the camera, when the sensor identifies more light coming in, it slides the ND filter over.

I love it - gives me some excellent results with sunrises.

Just wish there was a way of controlling it - ND filters (or ND grads) are great for cutting down the incoming light, putting the camera on a tripod, and then using a longer shutter speed - does things like smoothing out moving water, can give some beautiful results.

I've registered on the Symbian developers site, and was looking through the APIs, it doesn't appear as though there is any control over the ND filter, its possibly automatic on the actual camera units own internal firmware ....

Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Yes the N8 is such a wonderful photophone.

What you talked about is called a ND filter which is also present on the other great photophone Sharp Aquos Shot 945SH (I am currently reviewing and comparing both phones).

The only issue with the N8 is that its sensor is definitely not the best we can find on the market. Yes the sensor is outdated.
Moreover if Nokia chose a 8 MP camera (like the good one in the N86) the N8's back would not have a thickness of 18.5 mm (which is ugly) but of 15 mm.
The lack of an optical stabilization is also annoying.

I think the lack of an optical zoom is a good thing as it would have made the N8 thicker (and the N8's digital zoom is just excellent). And the lack of dual LED flash is not 'that' important as LED flash always deteriorates the quality of images.

I hope that Nokia will lower the megapixel to 5 MP (or 8 MP) but with a good sensor, lens cover and optical stabilization for the coming MeeGo flagship tablet smartphone.

Last edited by Camera; 05-11-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 PM

djfoxi is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information about ND Filter...

Old 07-11-2010, 07:42 PM

no d. dinning in sight ?