All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Symbian^3 phones (N8, C7, C6-01, E7-00)

Old 27-10-2012, 12:35 PM

mattdowning is on a distinguished road
808 Now you've lived with it, is it still brilliant or a bit too annoying?

Hello 808 owners, I'd value your honest opinions.

I have had my N8 for a while now and there's a lot I still love about it (camera, off-line maps etc.), but as with my previous N-series phones (N70, N95, N86) it is sometimes disappointingly buggy compared with my wife's iPhones.

I often get messages about low memory on C: drive, sometimes Hotmail for Exchange deletes all my emails, sometimes the phone freezes, sometimes it gets very hot and the battery drains etc. I'm a reasonably techy person, so I spend time fixing or working around these problems (or just living with them), but they're annoying. I gaze wistfully over to the iphone owners and see they have none of these problems and if one arose there would be a major international outcry followed by a swift response (Apple Maps excepted).

So what is it really like with an 808? You can be honest because I might get one anyway, even if it does promise the typical N-series experience of awe-inspiring highs and hair-tearingly frustrating lows; I'd just like to know what I would be getting into.

Of course, the attraction is the camera, which is what I already love and use so much on my N8.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Last edited by mattdowning; 28-10-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 PM

codekiller is on a distinguished road
More of the same perhaps

Hey Matt - It was a good idea to ask for feedback from existing owners. The only report I can give you is that the 808 has proven to be unstable for me - and I've already had Nokia replace my first 808 which I had to send in after consistent network connectivity issues.

My replacement device is actually more problematic than the original, but not in the same areas. The new 808 came flashed with FP2, which I think is still very unstable. I am seeing multiple spontaneous restarts every day and I'm trying to overlook my frustration because I believe it is software related and not hardware related.

On the redeeming qualities of the 808, the camera is truly amazing and the new bells and whistles in FP2 are nice - when they work. I am not seeing others reporting the frequency of problems I have experienced, so I'm not sure if it was a batch sent to the US or if it is entirely software related (ie a buggy app I have causing system issues).

One thing I do feel discouraged by is having to wipe settings and wipe the entire phone already to no avail. I never had to do that with either my iPhone or my Droid4. But I am willing to deal with the caveats to partake of the benefits of having the 808. I took only the 808 as my camera device on vacation recently and I really loved having the amazing visuals to go with my memories.

You may want to consider the upcoming Lumia 920 if you're interested in the PureView camera benefits with less of the software compromises. Best of luck in your decision.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 AM

soham is on a distinguished road
I think you need to change your battery for getting benefits.

The SUPER HUGE Paychecks In Empower Network Is Simply "Bad Ass"!!!
Click This Photo Link To Watch The Video

Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Banned

SDK is on a distinguished road
There are a lot of users often when in charge to leave her cell phone, in fact this will be very easy to hurt mobile life, because in charging process, cell phone circuit board will fever, at this time if there is foreign phone, may produce instant return current, the mobile phone internal damage parts

Old 14-11-2012, 03:41 PM

JohnRoss is on a distinguished road
After 10 days with the 808 (coming from an N8 with the original OS, no Anna or Belle) I have experienced none of the problems you describe with FP2. Phone seems rock stable. I have two complaints:

1. I think I have a bad battery. It seems to discharge at a normal (modest) rate for 5 hours or so, showing 85% remaining, then goes flat in another 2 hours or so. This is with my typical use, which is a few phone calls, a dozen texts, maybe 20 minutes online, 10 minutes of GPS, and a dozen pictures. My N8 with an 18-month-old battery would go at least 1 1/2 to 2 days with this usage. My 808 has yet to go a full day. And no, I don't leave apps running in the background.

2. The 808 has essentially NO file management of Photos in the Gallery. I take a LOT of photos, many (40%+) that are NSFW. I HATE not being able to open the gallery to a page that gives me a choice of "All", "Albums", or "Tags", where I can then select a tag such as "Ski Vacation Shots" to display (only) outdoor scenes on Colorado mountains for someone else to view. With the 808, all you can do is open the whole gallery of thumbnails (in my case over 4000 photos at the moment), where the G-rated shots are interspersed among R-rated pictures shot in private clubs, private pool parties, modeling test shots, etc.

I can't be the only user who wants to let someone else browse a group of pictures I've taken WITHOUT letting him browse EVERY picture I've ever taken that's stored on the phone!

I hope a software fix is in the works. I can't see why the photo tagging system of the N8 couldn't be used in the 808.

Last edited by JohnRoss; 14-11-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Clarity
Ads

Old 15-11-2012, 07:09 AM

its true iphone is the best phone i have ever used.

Old 18-11-2012, 02:10 PM

JohnRoss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soham View Post
its true iphone is the best phone i have ever used.
Er...is this statement made AFTER you've used the 808 for a while?

Old 18-11-2012, 02:20 PM

yes i have used 808 for a while.

Old 28-11-2012, 07:23 PM

mattdowning is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, especially Codekiller and JohnRoss. Your experience is valuable, in many ways more than a typical review.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Banned

SDK is on a distinguished road
Thank you, I think if mobile phone shell phosphite was good, give a person the feeling is very comfortable, more high-grade appearance, can good shockproof and buffer wallop, surface anti fingerprint design soft very easy to clean, not changeful form