All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-06-2009, 04:32 PM

bennypr0fane is on a distinguished road
using headset for music with i8910

hi,
I'd like to know,
1.) whether anyone knows about a stereo headset (bluetooth or wired) available for the i8910 with handsfree-function AND music player controls (pause/play, forward, rewind, volume).
And 2.) whether anyone has been succesfully using such a device and if it would plug into the os with full functionality - i.e. making and recieving calls and controlling the music player without having to fumble the phone out of your pocket :-)

On my current Nokia E65, I'm using a Nokia audio adapter, which ensures recognition by s60 and handsfree functionality and allows plugging in the headphones of my choice, but has no music player controls. Also the adapter is not recognized by third-party-software, it gets full functionality only with the standard s60 player, which i don't find very useful, so I use oggplay.
3.) Maybe any experiences/advice out there with/for the combinination of music headsets and third-party software?
thanks, Ben

Old 20-06-2009, 06:35 PM

moggsy is on a distinguished road
Hi

I've just got the i8910 and have used it with my stereo headset that I used previously with my SE K810i....BUT....it doesn't work in the way it used to with the last phone due to the S60 factor no doubt....!

The sound comes through great, but the pause, play etc do nothing - you have to do that on the phone I'm afraid :(

HTH a bit....

Old 21-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
i thought the e65 didn't have a2dp. Anyways, if music controls doesn't work on the i8910 then it's a samsung screw up not s60. It works perfectly on my n95.

Old 21-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Tenkom, are you talking about a Bluetooth Headset? Is it Nokia? How do I know it would also work on a Samsung phone? I'm just not sure whether a bt-headset would have to be compatible just to the OS in general or to the specific DEVICE in order for handsfree and music controls to work.
Anyone can help me out here?
And yeah, the E65 has a2dp, but i've never tried it with a bt-headset, just wired.

Old 21-06-2009, 01:50 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I'm using a jabra something bluetooth headset. It looks a little like a dog tag and has a 3.5mm jack so you can use your own headset. It also has a play/pause button, previous and next track, volume up and down and a call button. On my n95 all these buttons worked as you would expect. I haven't had the chance to test it on my i8910 yet. Will try it later tonight.

Old 22-06-2009, 01:26 PM

shug is on a distinguished road
I'm using a Motorola s9 and it works just as it did with the N95- minus the voice control of course.

Old 22-06-2009, 04:07 PM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
I've tested the AD-43 that came with my N95, (http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...ntroller-ad-43) and none of the buttons work.

ut.

Old 22-06-2009, 06:49 PM

An update on this now I've used it a few times:

My B'tooth headset is the Sony Ericsson HBH200. It doesn't work exactly like it used to on my old SE K810i....for example, when I turned off the headset, the phone would ask if I wanted to continue playing through the phone's speakers - if you didn't choose anything after a few secs, it would close the player. On the i8910 it carries on playing out of the speakers without any prompts.

Also, on the K810i, when I switched on the b'tooth headset and pressed 'Play' on it - the music would come through automatically. On the i8910, I've now found it will also do this - but only if you have the player running (or paused in the background...)

Apart from that, everything else seems the same. Pause, Play, Volume etc do all work ok. There's no Next/Prev on this headset so can't comment on that but I'd guess that would be ok too, as everything else seems to work.

HTH

Old 22-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Thanks you guys,
So it seems the bluetooth protocol makes (almost) everything work normally even if the headsets are from a manufacturer other than samsung, whereas a wired headset would need to be specifically designed for the device?
Please post here any experiences contrary to the above statement...
regarding bt-headsets, i was thinking of getting a pair myself, but the salesman said bluetooth was nothing but trouble because of frequent interference from other bt-devices, e.g on a subway ride, and advised me to buy a wired headset instead.
Can anyone of you bt-headset owners confirm that?
thanks again, Ben

Old 23-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Thanks you guys,
So it seems the bluetooth protocol makes (almost) everything work normally even if the headsets are from a manufacturer other than samsung, whereas a wired headset would need to be specifically designed for the device?
Please post here any experiences contrary to the above statement...
regarding bt-headsets, i was thinking of getting a pair myself, but the salesman said bluetooth was nothing but trouble because of frequent interference from other bt-devices, e.g on a subway ride, and advised me to buy a wired headset instead.
Can anyone of you bt-headset owners confirm that?
thanks again, Ben
Well I personally have never had a whiff of bother with mine - though tbf, I don't live 'in the smoke' mingling with other BT users on the tube etc.....

I tend to have mine on out walking the mutt or when out in town shopping etc....comes through crystal clear.....to the point where you could be forgiven for thinking they're hard-wired in!

Old 25-06-2009, 10:18 AM

shug is on a distinguished road
I've never had any problems on the tube but if you pass a really strong wi fi signal it can hop sometimes. (I mean a really strong source it's not some thing that happens often).
Ads