All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 29-01-2010, 03:34 AM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
I misquoted the price for N900, it was not in USD, still, its release price was around $600 at launch.I was with Steve R's view, I do agree with the big picture, but , i urge you to see the nitty gritties, then you'll know about how Nokia is slowly delving into the Eseries and numbered smartphones.

Every individual has his own expectations from a phone, I wanted a powerhouse of a device(and I do own a gifted N900), but it isn't the sort I wanted, it is way away from being a usable phone considering practicality.

Nokia are making midrange but, mind you, they are not working their full potential with the high-end

FYI I'm a stakeholder in Nokia with substantial worth of shares,My Co. also owns a good amount of stake in Nokia

Ok,Ok, I give up!!

I was a dev at Nokia, and so were a bunch of me mates,we had to forcefully shift to a better turf just because it paid better and did not have the NON sense Nokia put us through.We developed, some smart a** got credit, we couldn't make an app with a background color of choice.We made many apps in conjunction with other devs(If I name them, I can be identified).After we left, all sorts of cover up was done, me mates got a brief stint at Apple,were satisfied. I didn't want to be a part of it, so I chose.........(Can't disclose that,again).

I don't have bottled up hatred for any company, Just the Guests taking advantage of the open forum, If you think I'm an armchair evangelist, get yourself a Hotseat at Nokia and get your backside burnt and then comment on my comments.

I wanted to develop for Symbian,but,hey, I also needed food!

Last edited by raffmonster; 29-01-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Old 29-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffmonster View Post
but it isn't the sort I wanted, it is way away from being a usable phone.
So you can't use it? Doesn't it switch on?

When somebody says something is isn't "usable" when you know that it is perfectly usable, but just a bit awkward, you then know that they are predisposed to exaggeration.

Quote:
I wanted to develop for Symbian,but,hey, I also needed food!
That couldn't be more wrong.

I develop for Nokia, and what you say is good news for me, because you will be impressed by how much there is too eat when there are not many of us at the table. Nokia/Symbian dev is VERY lucrative at the moment for good coders and those best placed to develop with QT will be in very good shape. As long as people stay away and keep saturating the Android and iPhone markets, things will be looking great for the rest of us. Pitch at the ight place and your potential market is huge.

Old 29-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So you can't use it? Doesn't it switch on?

When somebody says something is isn't "usable" when you know that it is perfectly usable, but just a bit awkward, you then know that they are predisposed to exaggeration.

That couldn't be more wrong.

I develop for Nokia, and what you say is good news for me, because you will be impressed by how much there is too eat when there are not many of us at the table. Nokia/Symbian dev is VERY lucrative at the moment for good coders and those best placed to develop with QT will be in very good shape. As long as people stay away and keep saturating the Android and iPhone markets, things will be looking great for the rest of us. Pitch at the ight place and your potential market is huge.
It would be correct to say that individual needs & expectations differ. I still don't hold grudges against them.

All I can say that hope they win back my trust.
About N900, it just isn't the dimensions of a phone, its a brick

Last edited by raffmonster; 29-01-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Old 29-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
All I can say that hope they win back my trust.
About N900, it just isn't the dimensions of a phone, its a brick
I agree about the N900, current phone forms are towards thinness, and the comfort and portability factors, along with the ability to obtain good signal strength in fringe areas are fundamentals that shouldn't be ignored (N900 does the latter pretty well). For me any device will spend the majoirty of its life pocketed and I can't be dealing with the huge lumps that are around at the moment (HTC HD 2 FFS!).

In fact I was put off the N900 by its dimensions on paper, in the hand it's not as bad as I expected (though still too big for me). In use it is as good as being good enough to hold its own but nothing special alongside todays other competitive offerings. I expect that the next gen Maemo device will be slimmer.

The N900 has found its expected friends amongst linux hackers though, who are already happily seeing what can be recomplied for it.

Old 29-01-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

The N900 has found its expected friends amongst linux hackers though, who are already happily seeing what can be recomplied for it.
That is the degree of 'open'ness I expect the next symbian to conform to.

Old 29-01-2010, 11:32 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is the degree of 'open'ness I expect the next symbian to conform to.
Why?

Maemo has evolved from Linux distros, where everything is based around being totally open. Heck, the Maemo dev team were even working with the "hacker" community in porting features of their later OS's to the earlier devices - my original 770 was running a good number of the features from the 800 and even the 810. Thats akin to porting the N85 firmware back to an N70.

I very much doubt that Symbian will go the same "open" route - you may expect it, but it isn't a realistic expectation.

Old 29-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Why?

Maemo has evolved from Linux distros, where everything is based around being totally open. Heck, the Maemo dev team were even working with the "hacker" community in porting features of their later OS's to the earlier devices - my original 770 was running a good number of the features from the 800 and even the 810. Thats akin to porting the N85 firmware back to an N70.

I very much doubt that Symbian will go the same "open" route - you may expect it, but it isn't a realistic expectation.
It may be unrealistic, but, I do need devices to update OS versions to support better features. Take , for example, the i8910HD, it is a mainstream phone of 2012, I would like to see updated versions of Symbian running atop it rather than it being let down as an 'ancient' device. Hold one in hand and you'll appreciate how far the realm of mobile devices has come till date.

Also, many of nokia's own smartphones run a similar hardware configuration with similar processor speed, RAM etc., so it might not be that of a farfetch'd idea to expect this happening in Symbian, WinMo devices currently support OS upgrades.

Anyway, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Old 29-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It may be unrealistic, but, I do need devices to update OS versions to support better features. Take , for example, the i8910HD, it is a mainstream phone of 2012, I would like to see updated versions of Symbian running atop it rather than it being let down as an 'ancient' device. Hold one in hand and you'll appreciate how far the realm of mobile devices has come till date.

Also, many of nokia's own smartphones run a similar hardware configuration with similar processor speed, RAM etc., so it might not be that of a farfetch'd idea to expect this happening in Symbian, WinMo devices currently support OS upgrades.

Anyway, let's keep our fingers crossed.
The vast majority of sales - 99.999% will be to buyers who just want to use, so I don't expect this to be the focus from Nokia. Symbian is just the OS layer anyway, any manufacturer can and do put their own UI layer on.

I love the way that Google have got round the Apple multi-touch patent though! Releasing the Nexus One without it, then the patch to enable it appears from a "hacker" in the far east.

Nice move. Open source working!

Old 30-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Kenny G

Custom phone build

Do you think it will be a possibility in the future that Nokia (or anyone else) will consider taking the Dell approach and allowing customers to pick and choose components based on a standard chassis. Not sure how many units Dell sell but would guess Nokia ship more volume. Having a few devices across the range that could be configured would be innovative and would put a stop to the "if only it had more RAM, if only the C drive was bigger" comments.

Also then Nokia would also be able to see if the majority went for top spec (paying the extra required for parts and construction) rather than base models. They've already put a bigger C in the N97 mini than the N97 but I for one would stump up some extra cash to get bigger C, bigger E and more RAM. I know it would affect production lines but could be an interesting experiment at least.
Ads