All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-01-2010, 07:21 AM

Fred* is on a distinguished road
Lost WLAN indicator on home screen after World Traveller update

Hello

I use Psiloc World Traveller on an E71. On Saturday I was notified that there was an upgrade available (to version 1.5(0), so I downloaded it and installed it. Ever since I did this, my home screen does not display WLANs that are available.
I went to Menu - Tools - Modes - Home screen applications - Enabled applications and made sure that Wireless LAN is checked, but the home screen still doesn't show WLANs that are available.
Also, in Tools - Settings - Connection - Wireless LAN I set it to Show WLAN availability as Yes, and Scan for networks as Every minute, but that didn't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also wrote to Psiloc about this.

I'm also posting this to warn you that you may have the same problem if you install this upgrade.

Thanks!

Fred

Last edited by Fred*; 25-01-2010 at 07:27 AM.

Old 28-01-2010, 07:04 AM

Hmmm. No response from anyone yet.

I also found that when I try to enter the WLAN wizard, I get a message saying "System Error". Does anyone know how to fix this?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Psiloc hasn't responded yet, but maybe they want to take full advantage of the 72 hours they say it might take to reply to me. It's only been 70 hours so far!

Thanks

Fred

Old 28-01-2010, 11:51 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Reset

You could try a Reset . Sometimes only reboot or a soft reset ( back to factory settings ) can help . Otherwise a Hard Reset should help . Make a backup of your Personal data first . Maybe you should put the settings back manually instead of recover from the backup .
For reset see my post here :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021

Regards jApi NL

Old 29-01-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks jApi NL!

I did the soft reset and everything is fine. I thought it would delete a lot of stuff, but doesn't seem to have done this.

I did a restore from my backup just in case stuff was deleted, but that just brought my E71 back to where it was - with the "no WLAN" problem again. So I did another soft reset.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

Old 29-01-2010, 11:46 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Soft Reset

Soft reset *#7780# , just changes settings back to factory settings . Actually it should not delete Data .
The Backup brings back the former settings . So after the softreset , change settings only manually , in case there is any corruption .
I always check "Messaging" , as I want it to operate from Memorycard .
Also have to change "Theme" manually . Another setting : "RealPlayer"

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 13-02-2010, 03:25 PM

chrisp59 is on a distinguished road
Being my first post you may doubt my response but I'm afraid the only way forward to your problem is to do a hard reset. To do this when you turn your phone on hold down "star, 3, and call" at the same time.

Back up your phone before you start the process-BUT DO NOT REINSTALL THE PHONE FROM BACKUP. This will naturally give you the same state as previous with the problem.

I backed up all my contacts and calendar to gmail. Then I moved all my media into windows media centre. Then I wrote down the list of applications I need to download and went from there. Problem solved!

Old 14-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Hello Chrisp59

Thank you for your reply, but as I mentioned in my previous reply, I was able to fix the problem with a soft reset.

I tried restoring everything after that, but that just brought the problem back, so I did another soft reset and all the information (contacts, appointments, etc.) was there.

Old 24-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Ive got the update, in the same way you did, and didnt have any probs.. so I guess it was just an issue on your handset?

And, as you see from chrisp59's reply... you dont have to believe everything you read online ;P