All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Symbian^3 phones (N8, C7, C6-01, E7-00)

Poll: Do you have the power management problem on your N8?
Poll Options
Do you have the power management problem on your N8?

Old 16-12-2010, 05:50 AM

albertorrent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertorrent View Post
I have not the power management problem but the restart problem wich is a bit different.

it is explain there :

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/.../false#M242868

i'm waiting for my phone to come back from NCC
so, 15 days back form Nokia reparation :

They say they did :

oppening the phoe
reparration
closing the phone
ugrade software

and what I got :

5 restarts in less than 1 hour, I didn't have time to put back in my cards (sim and micro SD)

So we can say that on the 15 deceember 2010, Nokia still don't know how to regonize and repair this problem

Old 16-12-2010, 12:31 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertorrent View Post
so, 15 days back form Nokia reparation :

They say they did :

oppening the phoe
reparration
closing the phone
ugrade software

and what I got :

5 restarts in less than 1 hour, I didn't have time to put back in my cards (sim and micro SD)

So we can say that on the 15 deceember 2010, Nokia still don't know how to regonize and repair this problem
While this is a bit different from the power management problem that leaves the phone completely dead it is still pretty poor!

On a slightly more upbeat note we are starting to see the percentage with the power management issue going down and a few people reporting the problem fixed now.

Old 16-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Animsulovro is on a distinguished road
Hey,

got N8 around 3 weeks ago, and its working without major problems...if I keep the power saving on for most of the time battery last around 2.5 days...
however I have issues with GPS and OVI...it seems gps cant find location without the help of the GPRS and afterwards it works great.
another issue is with the complicated settings for our university network
dont know how to set up on N8 next network settings:
security type: wpa-enterpirse ( N8 has an option)
encryption type: TKIP ( N8 has an option)
authentication method: protected EAP (peap) (n8 has similar option)
we dont use certificates so authentication method is EAP-mschap v2 and N8 doesn't have that option...
so if anyone has a slightest clue what and how to do can You please help me out .

thanks

Old 16-12-2010, 02:23 PM

tatoo1000 is on a distinguished road
No problems with power

My only “problem” is that the battery lasts 2.5 days. I normally wait until the battery dies to recharge, but now I am forced to recharge with one or two bars left.

Mine is dark gray made in China, one month old and counting. So far very happy and pleased with the new display tech and UI, but missing my N97 keyboard. Waiting for the E7 to start shipping. My N8 will pass to my wife.

Old 17-12-2010, 10:06 AM

Results after 2 weeks

After 2 weeks the poll result is
72 - no problem
4 - problem fixed/replaced
7 - problem still waiting for a fix/replacement

Old 20-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Wishmaker is on a distinguished road
I have my N8 in my hand for 25 minutes and I want to sell it. It fails to connect on my wifi.

Old 21-12-2010, 02:36 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I had the same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
I have my N8 in my hand for 25 minutes and I want to sell it. It fails to connect on my wifi.
I reflashed the firmware (using OVI suite) .. it worked perfectly after that.

Good Luck!

Old 21-12-2010, 09:55 AM

yogi1771 is on a distinguished road
Got my N8 three days back.No major problem with restarts or hanging of phone but the O.S is buggy.
Problems facing so far
1) The backlight doesn't go off after locking the phone,sometimes it works other times have to restart the phone and lock the phone using just the lock button only.If I use the Menu button to unlock the screen I don't get the unlock option on the touch screen,the phone straight away goes to the locked home screen and have to unlock it using the lock button and then even if I lock it using the lock keys or the power button the backlight stays on

2) Even though the contact is saved on the phone(no double listing) it doesn't show up as who is calling only the number is displayed

3)The proximity sensor while talking works sometimes other times the screen is active which has led to calls getting disconnected or the hold option is activated.

P.S Tried reinstalling the firmware using ovi suite,still the problem persists.A query should I get a different piece or wait for the new firmware.

Old 21-12-2010, 10:34 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
yogi

for number 2 try putting the full number in the full format ie
+(country code)(operator code)(number)

eg +4421123456789 (I made 21 up as an op code)

its best to do these full numbers in the contacts section of ovi suite .. wipe out what you have on the phone and re-sync

.. from your symptoms I'd be looking at a replacement handset - the proximity sensor seems dodgy.

Good Luck!

Old 22-12-2010, 03:28 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
mines fine

had it since lanch no problems and my fave handset ever ill probably be buying a second when i have the cash :-)

i seriously love it that much :-)

Old 22-12-2010, 09:44 PM

strcmp is on a distinguished road
Apart from mine (which was first), my immediate family now own 5 other N8s. And they've all bought them without any prompting from me. None of us have any issues apart from one which was dropped and the screen broke. Mine and my wife's have both also been dropped and survived although mine has some cosmetic marks on the screen surround.

I'm kind of tempted to get some of those silicon cases...

Old 23-12-2010, 10:46 AM

So we are closing in on 100 votes, the minimum I would say could give a realistic percentage view, and it seems that currently about 10% of N8s have the power management problem.

10% seems very high as a return rate for a consumer product but it isn't as disastrous as some of the web coverage would have us believe.

I'm still not sure personally whether I can buy an N8 though. I'd love to have the camera but there seem to be a few too many problems at the moment.

I hope those of you who have taken the plunge continue to enjoy your N8s, and maybe I'll join you after the first big firmware update.

Old 24-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Wishmaker is on a distinguished road
I've used my N8 for a few days now and here are my thoughts:

1. Looks good, especially the dark grey version. I have it in a black Noreve case and all my friends want to touch it .
2. Terrible software. While this version of Symbian is miles above the ones I was using, it is buggy, unreliable and poorly done.
3. I have huge issues with my wifi. I am using WPA2 encryption on a very good draft n router and my Nokia N8 is weird and keeps disconnecting. Moreover, it crashes my wifi router. Basically, when the N8 finally keeps the connection, my other devices connected to the same router lose the connection and I end up with no internet on everything else. This never happened with my E70/72/75/90.
4. Interface is laggy at times. When you switch on the phone, everything is perfect but as soon as you start opening some apps and return to your main standby screen you will have an overlay effect: current open app over your standby screen. It often happens with the messaging menu.
5. I cannot turn on the camera via the camera button. I have to go to apps and tap on camera. Maybe I haven't discovered the option on how to configure that button but I should not configure it myself. Nokia should have done this for us.
6. Browser, nothing to say here, it is simply awful. I am not talking about the fact that you have to push 20 buttons to exit, I am taking about rendering pages. I am used to the symbian way so, not an issue if I tap a few more buttons.
7. Portrait to landscape and viceversa ends up laggy again. Sometimes you need to flip the phone in certain positions to make it change. I often ended up with the phone in portrait and the display in landscape.
8. Camera. Best out there so I will not comment.
9. Audio. The Nokia headset is simply terrible and sound quality through it is horrid. I needed to connect some proper cans but lack of flexibility with the equalizer put me off. I want to configure my own eq!!! Also, the music player widget is buggy. You need to tap many times on the play button to play or on the pause button to pause.
10. Connectivity. A high ten for the offering but poor management. I could not sync my previous phones with the current one. I had no issues doing it between my E-Series devices, but my N8 would simply disconnect or make my other phones hang.
11. Ovi Suite! Simply horrible and annoying. 7/10 times it does not sync my contacts with outlook and crashes 3 to 4 times per hour if I use it intensively.
12. Maps. Lock is terrible sometimes, it took up to 5 minutes last time to start navigating.
13. Touch interface. Very good in most cases but when you least expect it, you start tapping the screen and nothing happens.
14. Phone. Full marks here. I feel comfy and loved the phone capability on my other e-series devices.
15. Gaming. Nothing to complain really, this is the one thing the N8 does flawlessly. Playing Angry Birds, Shift, and some others. Work like a charm.

Because I could not make up my mind, I bought both the N8 and the iPhone 4. I cannot stand Apple and I never endorsed their way of doing things. I am in the category of people who can make an opinion on both devices and, truth be told, the N8 is nowhere near the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 does half the things my N8 does but what it does it does flawlessly. I have used Nokia all my life, proof that I bought the N8 but Nokia is stuck in their own past. People want something simple and Symbian is not. The iPhone 4 has such a straightforward OS, with on and off buttons for most settings. The OS on my N8, menu->tap->settings->select option->properties->etc.

I am the type of person who wants to discover and I loathe the iPhone 4 for its simplicity. What annoys me even more is that my iPhone 4 connects to my wifi without a hitch but my N8 is crashing the network. How can this happen on the Nokia flagship? Also, I can't stand iTunes and its options. A big plus to my N8 for simply hooking up to my W7 machines and using WMP to sync my libraries with album arts, etc. I installed Angry Birds full on both devices and I noticed that the iPhone 4 lags a bit more than the Nokia N8. Gameplay on the latter is so much fluent in some cases. I wonder why the iPhone suffers like this?

Bottom line. I am looking forward to the Nokia OS fixes because I cannot use my phone properly. Ovi Suite is trash and makes me cringe even more. I was a Nokia PC Suite user for 10 years now and it worked flawlessly. Why oh why did Nokia have to copy apple and create their own suite? Its even buggier than iTunes! This says something!

Enough with my rant and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
Ads

Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 PM

The poll has been open for about 3 weeks now and we have 113 votes. Unfortunately the percentage of votes showing the power management problem has gone back up and is now over 12%.

We have to appreciate that Internet polls are always self selecting and that people who have problems are more likely to search for a forum and to vote than people who's machines are fine, but even so 12% seems like a big number to me.

To put this into a little (highly unscientific) context I know 20 or so people who have the iPhone 4 at work and I have asked them all whether they can reproduce the infamous signal drop problem. Not one person has told me that they have signal problems. That story was reported widely and for a long time though it seems to have actually effected few people and the impact for those effected, whilst certainly irritating, was nothing like as severe as it is for those with the Nokia power management bug.

Why isn't this issue being reported? All we hear from the press is deafening silence from the Nokia fan sites and the continuous stream of "Symbian is crap" bollocks from the rest of the tech press.

I keep reading how it be wonderful if Nokia made a phone with Android. I think the reality might be that it would be great if HTC made a phone with Symbian (and a decent camera module).

Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM

The votes are still trickling in. We now have 126 votes with about 11% having problems.