All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 22-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia Q2 2010 results - profits down, smartphone sales up

Nokia has released their Q2 2010 results, reporting an operating profit of €295 million, with net sales €10.0billion (up 1% YoY). Nokia's device and service division's profits were €643 million, down 16% year on year. Margins in devices and services were 9.5% (down 2.7% YoY and down 2.6% QoQ). Converged devices sales (smartphones) were 24 million, compared with 16.9 million units in Q2 2009 (up 42% YoY) and 21.5 million units in Q1 2010 (up 12%). As such, worldwide smartphone marketshare was 41%, stable sequentially and year on year. Full story and comments below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-07-2010, 11:07 AM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
It doesn't matter...nokia is doomed and symbian is dead...

(irony off) People and especially fanboys will never understand that the needs people have are not always the same to just buy one smartphone (iPhone) or another platform (Android). Some people just want their job done and Symbian can do that despite their old (but still efficient) UI. Not everyone is a geek and wants to have the best (citation needed :p)

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.

Old 22-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Oh dear

Down 40%. :-o

Don't worry Symbian^3 will save the day!

Old 22-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

Since the N97 Nokia have been competing on value and price, shifting low cost Symbian handsets to bridge the period whilst they develop the more profitable products.

So, a good rearguard is being fought, and this was easily predictable, selling more phones for less money will result in higher shipments and lower profit. It keeps Symbian out there and in the hands of millions whilst Nokia regroup. Seems pretty positive, basically recovering from the N97 f*** up.

Old 22-07-2010, 11:29 AM

manual_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisX View Post
It doesn't matter...nokia is doomed and symbian is dead...

(irony off) People and especially fanboys will never understand that the needs people have are not always the same to just buy one smartphone (iPhone) or another platform (Android). Some people just want their job done and Symbian can do that despite their old (but still efficient) UI. Not everyone is a geek and wants to have the best (citation needed :p)
I'd argue that it's actually the geeks who are willing to live with clunky UI, unstability that forces them to tweak the device and all other kinds of problems they can solve and be proud afterwards.
It's normal people, who want their job done quickly, efficiently who will will dismiss Symbian as too high-maintenance and go for more usable, stable, faster and visually appealing platforms.

Old 22-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
@Manual

Given the lower ASP for the smartphones it actually appears to be the 'normal' mobile customer who is buying these phones.

Perhaps the UI really isn't as bad as some people make out? Apparently 24 million people thought so this quarter.

Old 22-07-2010, 11:54 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
@Manual

Given the lower ASP for the smartphones it actually appears to be the 'normal' mobile customer who is buying these phones.

Perhaps the UI really isn't as bad as some people make out? Apparently 24 million people thought so this quarter.
Aye, look at the increase in sales of the "numbered" models and the drop in sales of the N series.

My step son has had his 5800 for a year. He's not even vaguely technical, he just about knows where the power switch is on his PC and XBox, but doesn't know where the oil and water go in an engine .... despite his lack of any technical ability, he's liked the 5800.

However he's intending to change phones soon. His choice surprised me .... BLACKBERRY!!!!

Old 22-07-2010, 11:59 AM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_ View Post
I'd argue that it's actually the geeks who are willing to live with clunky UI, unstability that forces them to tweak the device and all other kinds of problems they can solve and be proud afterwards.
It's normal people, who want their job done quickly, efficiently who will will dismiss Symbian as too high-maintenance and go for more usable, stable, faster and visually appealing platforms.
No offense, but that would be a pretty weak argument. Just look around, the people who have 5800 or similar (eg, my wife and daughter) don't install things on them, and they just work. It's quick and efficient to make a call. What's more, it works well as a *phone*, ie good reception. I'd be willing to bet that normal people care more about the stability of a phone call than the stability of running apps.

I understand the frustrations of people who got sucked in by the n97, (I own one myself!), but there's no need to lose objectivity. Sales are sales, and you can't deny that 24 million is a decent chunk. Nokia are doing something right here, and hopefully they can win back the nerds that with the n8. The idea of a discount for n97 users that was floated here somewhere, now that would be a great way to win back some of the more vocal bashers.
Ads

Old 22-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Bulakbuk

Nokia was expecting these figures in the first place.

The time has come for Nokia to change it's structure, and by that I mean change the person in charge of the whole operation. Nokia failed to impress crowds after the era of N95 and even N82; for one thing they only released a repackaged version of these devices. Plus the fact that they continue to change platforms and dumping older ones thereby making them seem obsolete.

N8 hasn't been released yet, but already Nokia was talking of the Symbian^4! Now that is a very dumbfound move in my opinion.

It's about time Nokia prove it's competitiveness in the Phone Manufacturing arena, release cutting edge and innovative UI in all it's devices that will serve a common platform but contains the "Human Technology" smartness that once was a shout out.

Tacsiyapo!!!

Old 22-07-2010, 12:18 PM
KPO'M

The shares are up a bit since Nokia's smartphone market share came in a bit better than expected. OPK is calling for the rumors of his exit to go away, which to me is a sign that they are very real. The drop in ASP is huge, and a lot is riding on the N8 launch.

If someone purchases a 5800, never installs anything on it, doesn't use the browser, and just uses it as a basic phone, it may go down as a "smartphone sale" on paper but it doesn't do much for Nokia's margin. That customer wasn't valuing the phone as a "smartphone" and thus won't pay "smartphone" prices for it. That's the real issue that Nokia needs to address long term. The market for smartphones is exploding, but Nokia to date has missed out on the most profitable part of that growth.

Old 22-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Unregistered

A customer that buys a 5800 can see the word "XpressMusic" and knows what its about. They might not use every bit of its capability but they dip in here and there and use it for Facebook etc, and video, listen to music. It's definitely more than a basic phone to them.

It's like a Blackberry user, buys the thing because of the messaging capability - and because all their peers have one.

Old 22-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Unregistered

I think the story of OPK orbituary is just a revenge started by eldar murtazin.

Old 22-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisX View Post
Not everyone is a geek and wants to have the best
I smell a new marketing tag line.

"When you don't require the best, (shrug) you can settle for a Nokia."

Old 22-07-2010, 02:29 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Very interesting stuff in the last 4 bullets on the call... Hopefully something interesting among those N8 launch services & software.. Also interesting to see that Symbian will compete with the likes of Android and Apple in the "lower-high end" as well - was kind of expecting that all along myself and was a bit puzzled by all the "Symbian is for the low end only" talk.

Old 22-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Unregistered

are we reading the same article???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
@Manual

Typical statement from you. The earnings statement clearly shows a rise in the low end@margin series, while the hi-end devices made no growth or negative growth. Normal ppl just don't care if it is nokia, only if it is cheap, and that is how nokia stayed afloat this quarter - by selling itself cheap. Any investor would be absolutely pissed at these results. Make more but earn less???? Do u work for their pr department?

-Gene