All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: Nimbuzz

Ewan surveys the freeware multi-service chat and calling client, Nimbuzz, from from its big v2.4 update. Logging you in and integrating contacts from multiple social networks and chat systems is its speciality and it sounds like it did Ewan proud. It's also not only for multiple mobile platforms, but also for just about every S60 phone currently in use, so there really is no excuse for not keeping it installed and ready for action.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 18-06-2010, 10:10 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
It is pretty good app. Do you know a desktop version of Nimbuzz is available as well? Instead of having dedicated, multiple messengers, you can download one Nimbuzz to your pc and connect to multiple networks there as well. And the same Nimbuzz login of yours works both on the PC and mobile.

Old 18-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

New Nimbuzz

But can you NOT integrate your phone address book and social apps? There are some of us who still want to keep things separate.

Old 18-06-2010, 11:36 AM
BOC

No Skype video calling

The one shortcoming of nimbuzz that forces me to keep the otherwise much inferior Fring on my phone is that it doesn't yet allow skype video-calling, whereas Fring does. Add that and I'm completely sold...

Old 18-06-2010, 12:09 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Since I learned how to use OVI Contacts with plenty of different networks, it's all I need. Perfect integration IMO. Only for texting though.

Old 18-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Unregistered

krisq said:
"Since I learned how to use OVI Contacts with plenty of different networks, it's all I need. Perfect integration IMO. Only for texting though."

How do you do that? I have an N82, is this possible for me?

Thanks,

Old 18-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
Since I learned how to use OVI Contacts with plenty of different networks, it's all I need. Perfect integration IMO. Only for texting though.
[here's a properly quoted question]

How do you do that? I have an N82, is it possible for me?

Thanks,

Old 18-06-2010, 02:38 PM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
As a long time user of Nimbuzz since it's launch for S60v3 handsets I have to say that they've done quite well in integrating different services as well as having a client for PC, handsets and MAC.

The thing you mentioned about group conversations are not entirely new and it's not limited to Skype groups in any regards. It's also like that in WL chat as well.
So in general group conversations is not working "right" for any services.

One function I would like to have is a filter for Facebook contacts e.g. hide, not display, based on the list you've set up in Facebook.

Another thing I've experienced is that while listening to music/podcasts and launching the Nimbuzz client makes the Music Player (built in) stop. This have been the case since version 2.0. It's not something crucial just a minor annoyance. (It's understandable however as it has a VOIP extension running)

On PC client I miss Skype.

In overall I like Nimbuzz best compared to Fring, Palringo and Slick (chat only) which I've tried earlier.

Old 18-06-2010, 04:38 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How do you do that? I have an N82, is it possible for me?

Thanks,
It should be possible (i'm on N97). OVI Contacts is based on Jabber. All you need to do is to set up a transport for the network you need. Google Talk transport is already built in.

1st step:
You need a Jabber client for the PC. I'm using PSI, get it here. Fire it up and login with your OVI login.

2nd step:
You need to find a server which supports transport for the network you want.
List of servers is here: http://www.jabberes.org/servers/.

3rd step:
When you find a server, open PSI and go to 'General/Service Discovery' and enter the address of the server there. It should list all transports/Networks available. Double click to add it. You need to have an account for given network.

4th step:
All you need to do now is to add contacts you want and then close PSI.

5th step:
Open OVI Contacts on your phone and login.
Voila, it should import all contacts and transports which you have just set up.

Cheers.

Last edited by krisq; 18-06-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Old 18-06-2010, 11:10 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Neither Nimbuzz nor Fring load on the i8910...

Old 19-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Unregistered

Why do none of the Symbian IM clients allow multiple accounts on the same service, i.e., multiple MSN accounts?

Old 20-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Unregistered

They work perfectly on i8910HD, I have fring, nimbuzz and palringo installed.
I prefer the latest because it connects faster and most of all it loads all contacts, Nimbuzz is very slow connecting to all the networks and it often doesn't show all the online contacts

Old 21-06-2010, 09:23 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Love Nimbuzz, it's one of the few things that actually works and is OK to use on my N97. Tried Fring before it which was fine and very similar in fact I thought it's comm's were easier to set up however I thought Nimbuzz was easier to control (i.e. when it activated itself) and looked a bit nicer.

Nokia took so long getting their stuff together with Nokia messaging for social networks and Messaging for IM (only just out for N97) that I long ago gave up and turned to Nimbuzz which unlike the Nokia apps does it all in one coherent programme and doesn't take up more precious C: in fact I daren't really install any Nokia software at the moment as have so little C: left, trying to postpone a(nother) rebuild.

Old 17-01-2011, 08:58 AM

hothotdog is on a distinguished road
The iPad is so damn expensive la.. I canít afford it, therefore Iím gona try win it thru Fonwar IM. *crosses fingers* Hope I get it. Pls help me out, I still need 89 more credit points to redeem an iPhone from Fonwar. Download the IM at http://affiliate.fonwar.com/mindygal and add me up ya. Thanks! =)