All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 24-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
A walk on the wild side: HXing the Samsung i8910 HD

In a departure from traditional All About Symbian conservatism, Steve Litchfield goes exploring the world of firmware modding, specifically looking at the Samsung i8910 HD, a flagship smartphone in terms of specifications that has been under-curated by its manufacturer. Can a third party, armed with no source code whatsoever, really mess around with the files in the firmware to produce a better device? Short answer? Yes. With a few caveats. Here's the tale of how the i8910 HD gets transformed with HX 3.17...

Read on in the full article.

Old 24-03-2010, 08:25 AM

noelb is on a distinguished road
Bravo Andy!

It's only due to the efforts of Andy aka Hyperx that I'm still a satisfied and proud user of the Samsung i18910HD. If it hadn't been for him, I would have dumped this phone a long time ago.
I can well imagine the frustrations of the average user, who depends solely on Samsung for updates.
And shame on you, Samsung, for your half-hearted, lethargic support. I would think twice before ever buying a Samsung phone again.

Old 24-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Lomash

Thumbs up

While we are at it, I would like to mention that HX has also done great works in releasing speed editions of these firmware. Speed editions are free of some "deemed" useless but heavy applications, giving a really, really fast UI experience. HX 2.11_Speed is the latest that I am using.

I personally moved to modded roms January'10, a mere 2 months after the purchase of my i8910. It took me very less time to realize that Samsung is not all interested in maintaining this device or related software. HX has been working alone and it is a surprise that he alone keeps the frequency as well as the quality of firmware high. Hats off to him.
Ads

Old 24-03-2010, 09:56 AM

JCB_Digger is on a distinguished road
Apart from the questionable legality of using DLL's filched from another manufacturer's ROM. You have got to wonder what HyperX could do if he was given proper support from the manufacturer.

If I were Samsung, I'd be beating a path to this guy's door with a chequebook.

Old 24-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
It's worth noting that even after flashing with one of Hyperx's custom firmwares, it is very easy to re-flash the i8910 back to an official Samsung firmware, thus reducing any "warranty void" issues which may occur from using custom firmwares.

Old 24-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

movingly broke

Samsung couldn't care less about support. Samsung and LG are notorious for releasing abandonware devices. And apart from a few shining models (like the i8910), most of them are crap anyway.
My advice - stay away from Samsung and LG.

Buy anything else than those two brands.

Old 24-03-2010, 10:13 AM

teknolog is on a distinguished road
What I would like to see is for some Symbian^3 stuff to enter the hacking community. S^3 is open source, so there are no legal issues working on it. While you can't run S^3 on existing devices without new drivers for graphics, many parts will be compatible with S^1, especially the apps. That could mean pervasive kinetic scrolling and single tapping throughout the UI.

For interested people, there is an initiative to port the S^3 homescreen to S^1 devices.

Old 24-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Unregistered

Steve, although you're not an advocate of hacking, almost everything Hyperx has done in his firmwares can be done without actually reflashing the device.

And Nokia hacking is just as easy BTW. There have been huge advancemenets in the past 2 months.

Old 24-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
"almost everything Hyperx has done in his firmwares can be done without actually reflashing the device"

Eh? How could the focus in video mode or the extra 60MB on C: be achieved through another means - do pray tell 8-)

Old 24-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

I'd be curious to know why so many people consider modding a device to be "illegal". I agree that a manufacturer may be within their rights if they refuse to repair a device which has been flashed with 3rd party FW, but that doesn't make actually doing this illegal. Also, even if the small-print says that such activity is illegal in the eyes of the manufacturer, such a statement may not carry any real weight, as what someone does with their own property is generally their own business... this is especially relevant if the manufacturer can't be bothered to properly support the device in the first place, which could well be seen as illegal...

Old 24-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Autofocus in video mode is turned on by changing ONE text file - it's quite easy to do that, reboot the phone, and hey presto, activated!

More disk space is somewhat more complicated, but a lot can be achieved by (for example) moving system sounds and the such like from C: to E:

Old 24-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Wink I8910HD lipsink

The lipsinc problem on video recording can usually be fix by changing saving to folder from 'mass memory' to 'memory card'.

John.C

Old 24-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Unregistered

allthough admittedly you can achieve some effects by editing and moving .txt files and all this has to be on the hacked phone anyways. The sheer ammount of time involved is much greater than simply reinstaling apps especcially with batch installers. Also some of the hacks like aditional homescreens can only be run if you have c2z hack enabled all the time which brings extra dimension of instability on the phone.
Npw as for increasing c drive without flashing is impossible and no ammount of copying sounds to e or caching there will increase said drive. All it does is helps preserve mesly 18 mb you allready have so that you dont hit the brick wall in one browsing session.
The real breakthrough of hx is the huge ammount of c being released cause while preserving original functions all other cookers have been able to get 55-60 mb on c by deleting regional customizations and some other things. What andy has done is gone past beyond that magis 60 mb mark by identifying dead ends, that is all the stuff that samsug got stock with symbian licence but never bothered to implement. That dead code helped it push to average 85 mb while preserving all and past 100 in case of speed firmwares. Well done.

Old 24-03-2010, 05:03 PM

bidboy is on a distinguished road
Like many other i8910 users, if it had not been for 'cooked' roms from people like HyperX I would have got rid of this phone long ago. HyperX has produced some great roms, each one better than the last. If you just want a really fast phone with no frills then install one of his 'Speed' editions.

Old 24-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

This article/author is so ignorant. There is one big community who gave us repacking firmwares and most part of tweaks that Hyperx uses. I can not believe that you gave all credits to one man