All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ewan around America with a $250 phone budget - part 3

Some say his beard is made of stainless steel. Some say he relaxes by hanging upside down from the light fittings. All we know is, he's called Ewan Spence. Part 3 of a series of short videos from Ewan is embedded below, along with some of his 'diary' commentary, as part of his gaming and blogging spring trip to San Francisco (GDC) and Austin (SXSW). Rafe set him a series of challenges (also known as a real world test of the Nokia 5230 / Nokia Nuron). In part 3, Ewan goes shopping, mapping and walking.

Read on in the full article.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 AM

DevilsRejection is on a distinguished road
I was in the states for 45 days during the start of this year, and I was on T-Mobile, prepaid, and yes I did have data. Now granted, my bill was close to $70/month, but I had the plan with the least amount of minutes, and unlimited SMS and data.

Small warning: a text message is not a text message, by that I mean an SMS to an international number is charged as an international SMS, usually between 20 and 25 cents per text, to send AND receive.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM

RushArt is on a distinguished road
So, an Opera Mini on phone makes it a 'regular' phone and not smartphone. Interesting theory there.. Do staff ever learn anything?:

Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Unregistered

I find it amazing that it is necessary to pay to receive texts. Do you have any choice? I mean can you choose to reject the text and not read it to avoid paying for it? If not then you could be vulnerable to some shocking pranks that cost a lot of money. Not to mention all the advertising texts and MMS that I receive everyday.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting comment on Ovi Maps UI. I actually think version 3.3 (with the new start screen) is very good. In Navigation mode there may be room for improvement, but that's a bit more subjective.

I think people's experience is probably shaped by their usage of previous sat nav.

I had the same SIM card issue when I was in the US, but they saw I was using a Nokia and just assumed it was not a smartphone...

Old 12-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

If you want to know how many of your 200 inclusive texts/SMS are left, you might want to use FreeMinMon http://bit.ly/8SIkB9
Besides call minutes counting, it features an texts counter, too.
International SMS won't be counted when you set the country code of the mobile phone network in the FreeMinMon settings.
Ads

Old 12-03-2010, 12:14 PM

kedoin is on a distinguished road
Service Quality?

I know many people in San Franscisco that complain of reception problems with the at&t service. How was the quality of service compared to the service you're accustomed to in the UK?

Also, I think you got very lucky that at&t let you go with a GoPhone plan for your phone. at&t sells the Nokia 6790 as the "Surge" which the classify as a smartphone. I think if you had your E75 or some other QWERTY-keyboard phone they would have classified your phone as a smartphone. (Yes, the classification seems arbitrary to me too!)

Now, here's something else to confuse the non-American readers. In the US, normally you have to purchase a phone when you buy pre-paid service. (For example, see Wal-Mart) Even with two GSM carriers here, purchasing a SIM isn't advertised anywhere!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yep. Re all of the above, best to just ignore the USA completely, really - they're just so CONFUSED. 8-)

[FX: ducks]

Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you want to know how many of your 200 inclusive texts/SMS are left, you might want to use FreeMinMon http://bit.ly/8SIkB9
Besides call minutes counting, it features an texts counter, too.
International SMS won't be counted when you set the country code of the mobile phone network in the FreeMinMon settings.
That looks like a useful application, but if its anything like the built in usage meter on the Symbian device, the software that came with my old 3 dongle, or even on the iPhone, it'll no doubt totally disagree with what the *network* say you've used.

Look up Leo Laportes experiences whilst roaming - he was using the usage meter on the iPhone, after all the device itself has a data meter, knows how much its using, right? Turns out the networks have a totally different idea, and its *very* easy to go over your limit.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

T-Mobile has the "even more plus" plan, which has no contract.

$30 <- 500min/month
$40 <- 500min/month + unlimited texts
$60 <- 500min/month + unlimited texts + unlimited data

Add in taxes and whatever and it would be about $65-$70 per month.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Unregistered

oops, as the "nuron" is not considered a smartphone, you can get the unlimited data plan for $10, not $20.

Thus the total cost for 500min/month + unlimited texts + unlimited data would be
$50 + taxes/fees.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

"europe and the uk"...when did the Uk come out of Europe?

Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"europe and the uk"...when did the Uk come out of Europe?
Depends on weather, which day of the week it is and what side of bed you get out of.

On a more serious note:

Interesting to see there are some options for unlimited data etc, but quite suprsing how expensive they are (comparitively speaking). And I guess not that well advertised.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Yes lots of people saying T-Mobile, but I'll point out two things against that option (okay three).

1). It puts me over the $250 budget.

2). THe website has no indication that data is available as Pay as you Go.

3) When I went into the store they were clear that data was only available on a contract, and not on Pay as you Go / Prepaid. Go figure.

-- Ewan
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Truphone are now an MVNO and their SIM offers a "local anywhere" service, so you par 8 euros for a month and get a local number in any country.