All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM

MonarchX is on a distinguished road
So fring can make video calls and Skype native can't?

You can do video conferencing via fring using secondary camera, but native Skype client won't let you do that. Howcome? Are they planning on adding that feature in the future?

Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Apart from the video calling, fring also let you access other accouns such as MSN, so on paper, has a bit more to offer than Skype, but I can't get the video calling to work on my phone, so gave up using fring. Don't know if it's my handset, or the network here that prevents it.

With Skype though, as I'm abroad, I have now purchased a local UK landline number, so for around 3 a month, I have a UK number with a Nottingham prefix ( 0115 ) , so the folks back home can ring me on that number and it comes though to Skype on my handset, and they can ring from any landline or mobile phone, and from their perspective, it's only the cost of a local call - so a lot of the time, it's free.

Due to that reason and with the launch of the Skype for the N97, I use Skype much more now, hardly ever use fring.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 07-03-2010, 05:04 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Indeed. For your requirements, I would imagine the Skype native app is the better one.

Although I did once succeed in getting a SkypeIN number to work with Fring, I found that it was unreliable - by the time I did get a notification of an incoming number the users had got fed up of the ring ring tone and hung up.

This isn't totally surprising, as Fring is a gateway and not natively on any of the networks, so if incoming calls are important to you, I would imagine the Skype app to be the better bet.

As for me, given I have Maps 3.0.4 installed I don't have enough room left on the C: drive for Skype too, so I've elected not to use it.

Regards
Neil
Ads