All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 24-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

N86

Yep same problem the compass does not work, although while driving it would not always work anyway (probably the angle of the phone) but was handy not walking in the wrong direction first. hope it will work in future updates! dont know if it was important but i selected the navigator 6710 to download it for my phone.
Ads

Old 24-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Unregistered

compass works!

nokia implemented compass only in "my location" mode. press 5 to activate and deactivate.

Old 24-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Thanx but I won't be buying an iPhone either. At least on the iPhone the sat nav is cheap...

They should not falsely advertise. End of / period / fullstop

Old 25-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Maps too slow

I have installed it on my N97 using the N97mini version and the maps are too slow. Sometime I have passed the junction or roundabout and the maps have not been updated until after a while. There is a big lag.

Also whilst driving and during navigation alot of times the backlight just goes off and it seems as if the phone has switched off, until you press the side keylock key to find it is not true.

Nokia need to update their maps SW and also have the same road and details availability as GoogleMaps then the take up will be good.

Old 25-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Unregistered

I am intrigued that the N97 mini user above has problems with slow screen updates, as I am using it on a 5800 which I understand has similar internal hardware, yet I am not seeing the same problem. I was watching it track me at or close to the speed limit today and the arrow would pass bridges at the precise moment I drove under the bridge.

I wonder if the slow update is due to impeded satellite reception? Either due to the construction of the vehicle or the position of the phone within the vehicle?

Old 25-01-2010, 02:03 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nokia wants you to buy new phone

if you are not happy with them go buy your iphone with free nav:(
What free satnav for the iPhone? There isn't one. Unless you're talking about google maps, which isn't free, and doesn't do the basics of satnav.

Nokia announced it on their new phones - they'll be working on enabling it on the earlier devices, I just wish that people would stop moaning/crying about it not being available NOW for their phone.

Just chill, it'll happen in time. Nokia have just announced it a little earlier than maybe they were initially intending to in order to get some attention from the press - and its very definitely worked.

Old 25-01-2010, 09:17 PM

spaceprobe is on a distinguished road
Well I would love to put the new maps on my sim free 5800 purchased from Nokia. However since its still stuck on firmware v21 with no word from Nokia when it will update I am unable to. I cant tell you just how impressed by Nokia I am!

Old 25-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Unregistered

Ovi Maps

I had problems installing the new free version, I kept up ending with V3.03 (54) with my city licence and expired trial drive licence. So I was fed up, in the end I removed Ovi Maps, downloaded again and it worked.

I've used it on a few routes, walk and drive. Its excellent on my 5800. I have a Vauxhall Zafira, I sit the phone on its side where the multi function display is. Its like having built in Nav, works smoothly and the volume is certainly sufficient.

My Tom Tom 1 will be getting required soon.

Thanks Nokia, another string in the 5800's bow.

Old 26-01-2010, 08:03 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceprobe View Post
Well I would love to put the new maps on my sim free 5800 purchased from Nokia. However since its still stuck on firmware v21 with no word from Nokia when it will update I am unable to. I cant tell you just how impressed by Nokia I am!
A SIM free 5800 from Nokia shouldn't be restricted to v21 firmware - that its got such a "restriction" implies that you've either bought an operator locked version, or have a lanuage variant that doesn't have a later firmware release.

The restrictions on firmware aren't surprising though - its akin to certain Windows apps requiring the later .NET frameworks installed, there will be additional OS functionality in the later firmwares that the app requires.

Old 26-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
A SIM free 5800 from Nokia shouldn't be restricted to v21 firmware - that its got such a "restriction" implies that you've either bought an operator locked version, or have a lanuage variant that doesn't have a later firmware release.

The restrictions on firmware aren't surprising though - its akin to certain Windows apps requiring the later .NET frameworks installed, there will be additional OS functionality in the later firmwares that the app requires.
Nokia have dozens of different product codes, it almost seems like individual retailers have their own product codes, and individual networks. For some reason Nokia don't release updated firmware for all product codes.

In my case I have a CPW 5800 (red) which originally had a product code that would still be back on V21. Of course I haven't kept that product code, I changed it so I could get the updates, it's such a simple procedure. Each time the firmware update runs, the product code seems to automatically change back to the original one, so it has to be changed every time you update.

Old 27-01-2010, 07:59 PM
LSM

OVi Maps on the 5800.

Works fine. Used to it. On the 5800, cannot get it loaded on my E card. Only on the phone memory.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Ovi maps on Nokia N80?

Hi, I have a Nokia N80 and a bluetooth GPS antenna. N80 is not listed in the devices list on Ovi maps site: is there any device compatible with N80?

Thanks,
Alberto