All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia N97/N97 mini: review part 3 - Camera, Multimedia and wrap-up

They said I was mad to try attempting this review mini-series. But I've done it. Phew! In part 1 of my review of the Nokia N97 (v20) and Nokia N97 mini, I looked at the hardware, design and build quality. In part 2, I looked at the OS, The Interface, The Apps. Now, in this, the final review part, I look at the N97/N97 mini's camera and multimedia performance - and then I wrap up with my verdict of both devices.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Bravo! Well done Steve. Nice wrap-up.

Old 17-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Unregistered

The N97 mini is much more good-looking and classy than the N97 classic. I love the rear view of the N97 mini. It's so elegant and sexy. I'd go for the N97 mini.

Old 17-11-2009, 04:48 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
Has anyone else noticed that when you upload a video from the N97 to YouTube in 4:3 ratio it comes up as High Quality? Yet when using 16:9 it does not.

I thought it may just be my N97 that was/wasn't doing it, but it would seem that the Mini is suffering the same problem too.

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 17-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

The 16:9 videos don't have high enough pixel count for HQ. They're only 4:3 videos with the top and bottom chopped off - why would you want to shoot at a LOWER resolution?

Old 17-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Unregistered

Great review. I do have a question though. Currently there are some great deals available on the N97 'Classic', and therefore can be had for up to $300 less (180 Pounds) than an N97 Mini. Would the Mini be worth that much more if I was trying to decide between these two?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 17-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would the Mini be worth that much more if I was trying to decide between these two?
Eek, 180 is a lot. No, get the N97 classic. In fact, go for whichever is cheaper generally. Both have their plus points, after all!

Old 17-11-2009, 06:34 PM

Abushaheed is on a distinguished road
While the article is well written (as usual) and does give the potential buyer a lot of useful information to consider, the conclusion lacks any mention of the Samsung Omnia as a possible alternative to both phones mentioned in the article. It seems to me that although the Omnia hd lacks significant firmware support and shares some of the weaknesses of the N97 (limited C: storage, S60's inconsistent UI) that it is in many other ways (RAM, Screen, GPS, Camera, Video play back/recording) superior to either of these phones. After all, firmware updates just fix the bugs and offer improvements that should have been taken care of BEFORE launch! Of course all manufacturers are guilty there!

Old 17-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abushaheed View Post
the conclusion lacks any mention of the Samsung Omnia as a possible alternative to both phones mentioned in the article.
That's because it's not an alternative, IMHO. An alternative is something I would recommend to a friend and, in Samsung's current confused support state, I wouldn't wish the (otherwise superlative, specs-wise) i8910 HD on my best friend - he'd simply be phoning me up every day asking how to do stuff or work round problems or omissions. 8-)

Old 17-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

Very truthful review, thanks. The only thing that bothers me is comparison made at the end. I think, WM software is much superior to Symbian in most angles (just as with Iphone there are tens of tasks, that Symbian just can't do, but WM can). Secondary IMHO best device of Symbian is Omnia HD, which is not only better in multimedia (camera, playing etc.), but in overall perfomance comparing to n97 - even typing on onscreen keyboard, at least for me, is faster then on n97 hardware one.

Old 17-11-2009, 08:07 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Good review Steve, really enjoyed it and I think a very balanced and insightful summation.

I'd love to spew more hatred at my N97 becasue I think it's represented hideous value for an alleged flagship, Nokia have failed to get on top of the situation and so many of the problems were blatant even pre release. I questioned the restricted C: and under specced RAM but we were given assurances by Nokia and most of the review sites that all was well in the release write-ups. But I think the reality of day-to-day usage has exposed the hardware paltform as inadequate and as you observed the money saved by Nokia vs the anguish (and frantic extra coding) has to be a terribly poor business descision (unless they wanted to make the N900 and Satio look good).

The software was appalling at release and I can't see how after being released over 6 months after announcement and on a very similar platform to the 5800 these problems weren't caught before it got out the door. I realise they were rushing to get it out to challenge iPhone but still what have they been doing with S60 for the last 2yrs? So it's a shame that enhancements that Nokia had promised at release (like kinetic scrolling) have got caught up in just being seen as bug fixes or stuff that should havce been included at rerease and of course they must've diverted resources that could have been used in making more "candy" into making the pesky thing work.

However the Mini does look like an all round improvement and more assured renditioning of the device and maybe they can rescue something out of this platform but I think they will have to let the price drift a bit (look at the Classic prices being quoted on this page). It's undoubtedly a missed opportunity and those that bought into the Nokia Kool Aid that this was their iPhone beater are going to be pretty sceptical next time they claim something similar so they have squandered a lot of goodwill at an inopportune time in the business (ie when they're being genuinely threatened).

Will I upgrade/get rid of my N97 - no I agree with you (although got mine at half price - mind can't get more than that on ebay/recyclers anyway) I'm just going to sit it out mainly cos having changed it I'm on SIM only contract now for another 11months. But I think I'm going to feel a slight pang of would've could've should've evey time I use it. It's going to have to impress me mightily for the next couple of years (I hate changing phones) for me not to be very wary of a Nokia (my first) handset again.

Old 17-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Unregistered

satio

If the omnia HD is getting recommended, I feel that the satio should get recommended to. I had a satio to test and I have just fallen in love with it. It's media capabilities and experience with it are fantastic.
Ads

Old 17-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Very truthful review, thanks. The only thing that bothers me is comparison made at the end. I think, WM software is much superior to Symbian in most angles (just as with Iphone there are tens of tasks, that Symbian just can't do, but WM can)
Please can you elaborate and explain what theses tens of tasks that Symbian can't do are?

WM has always been the black sheep and still is more than ever.

Old 17-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Unregistered

Script for a jesters tear by Marillion in your you music library....excellent

Old 17-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Unregistered

N97

Nokia for years have kept doing the same idea,release an mobile then a couple of months later release a more up to date mobile,the mini N97 looks just the right size an built better than the N97,hope Nokia stop this trend as its very annoying for buyers as you do not want to worry all the time you buy a Nokia mobile then a better version comes out,N73,N95 an N97,all did the same but why couldn"t we get a more up to date N86 as well