All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Symbian UI concept video from SEE 2009

At last week's Symbian Exchange and Exposition Lee William (Executive Director of the Symbian Foundation) showed, during the keynote, a concept video of what a future Symbian UI might look like. The video shows a typical use case: accepting an invite to a party via Facebook and, the next day, attending the party. There's a glimpse of a new look homescreen, complete with social web integration and navigation and mapping features enhanced by augmented reality functionality. Read on to view the video and

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
They can't even get their current products right so lets not hold our breath about future ones. Looks promising though, roll on the year 2100.
Ads

Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Unregistered

Talking

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
lol @ the troll :d

Old 03-11-2009, 04:27 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
@Berty I think you're forgetting this is the Symbian Foundation we're talking about not Nokia.
Anyway, the concept looks interesting but I doubt we'll see anything remotely similar before Symbian^4. We'll have to wait and see.
Good job, by the way, arranging and presenting all the UI elements so that we can see them better.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Unregistered

Maybe I am wrong but this is already possible with Android, isn't it?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

Looks pretty bad...

Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Unregistered

looks like a google web app. no thanks.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
I like the ideas,but it still "ideas".

By the way...will they ship the devices with this theme? looks funny with these cartoonish icons.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Antoine of MMM is on a distinguished road
@Ammar - the Symbian Foundation doesn't create devices, so the chances of them including this theme on a device is slim. Its already available and has been linked to here at AAS for sometime already. Its a pretty solid theme on my N97 actually.

@Unregistered/Android - some of its possible, not all of it. The Symbian Foundation seems to be moving in a similar direction as Maemo is in this respect. Widgets for aggregated use, ability to pane a unified window, and less dependence on applications in silos and more APIs shared across them so that the user creates the experience, rather than just whatever the device maker has in mind. While Android sports some of this, the licensing leaves it in the hands of the manufacturer to exploit this - some have, some are trying, some won't.

@adi_pie - don't be surprised if some of this shows in S^2. Much of this is possible, its the more complex part of the stuff behind the apps that's going to take a considerable amount of rewriting. I wouldn't even be surprised if the "device" was a real one running it, this just an artsy enough mockup to keep the concept ideal conceptual.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Unregistered

they have always provided these kind of concept videos, and where's all of those other UI ideas right now?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Just look at the UI videos of the N97 which all turned out to be a load of rubbish. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Ian 23

Unhappy

It's easy to make vague animation about a distant future.
It's more difficult satisfy to current customers - where is kinetic scrolling for my Nokia 5800? I want Nokia Internet Radio I had on N82 - where is it? What about Nokia's bluetooth keyboard drivers for 5800?
I don't care what Symbian may look like in 3 years time (if ever...), because if my 5800 won't get kinetic scrolling and decent home screen (there is no technical reason not do do it, as the hardware is basically th same as N97), my next phone will be Android or iPhone... Nokia 5800 is my 7th Nokia phone, may be the last unfortunately. I was considering N97 mini, but I'm not that brave - will it be obsolete soon, stuck on Symbian ^1? Will Nokia allow upgrades to ^2, ^3 or whatever it is? The first iPhone can run current OS in the extend the hardware allows, no artificial limitations.

Supporting your customers pays off. Nokia/Symbian Foundation - please get to work and improve your products NOW, stop presenting BS.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian 23 View Post
It's easy to make vague animation about a distant future.
It's more difficult satisfy to current customers - where is kinetic scrolling for my Nokia 5800? I want Nokia Internet Radio I had on N82 - where is it? What about Nokia's bluetooth keyboard drivers for 5800?
You read like a child having a tantrum. Or like the Kevin 'bloody' Wilson song, "Santa, where's my f***ing bike?"

Basically, if you wanted a phone with kinetic scrolling in the OS, why didn't you buy one? You've bought a cheapo bottom end phone and you want extra options added for free? You won't be getting any. The 5800 is at V31, and effectively finished. If you want a 5800 with kinetic scrolling then you have to pay for it. Buy an X6, that's a kinetic scrolling phone with the 5800 feature set.

And don't bother pointing out that 55xx etc are the same price and have kinetic scrolling. The are all missing functional features that 5800 has. You get what you pay for. And N97 is a phone costing 3 x the price of 5800 and wasn't finished when it came on sale. The 5800 has the feature set that it does for its place at the bottom end of the range, and that's it.

I just bought a really nice digital SLR camera, it does 4.5 frames per second, but some cameras from the same manufacturer can do 12 frames per second. I demand that my cheaper camera can do the same as them. Duh.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Unregistered

The 5800 has kinetic scrolling already, in the browser and therefore in all WRT type widgets that are based on the browser. And also in applications like profimail and Gravity.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Ian 23

Question

@Unregistered
"Basically, if you wanted a phone with kinetic scrolling in the OS, why didn't you buy one?"
Because there were NO Nokia phones with KS in January 2009 (when I bought my 5880), that's why

I was considering N97 in June, but guess what - it did not have kinetic scroll either. It now finally does, but Nokia forgot to put memory in...

X6 - please show me, where can I buy this now? Have you even seen one? N97 mini? Coming soon.

And in the meantime Symbian Foundation basically declared ^1 obsolete, Qt is the future etc. Will I see this future on N97 mini or X6? I want to upgrade, ready to pay, but lost my trust in Nokia. Should I really upgrade to ^1 device now?