All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-07-2009, 07:20 AM

ifama is on a distinguished road
Some battery questions!

G-Morning,

maybe someone can answer some question about the power consumtion of my nokia 5800.

when i have the choice between wifi and 3G data-connection (Application: Nimbuzz), which one should i choose in order to safe battery?

When i have bluetooth turned on, but no coupled devices, does this consume a lot of battery in this "standby" mode? I find it takes a lot of time to turn on/off bluetooth very often, because you have to go very deep in the menu to activate it. is there a way where i can turn on/off Bluetooth very quickly?

Thanks for answeres!

Old 20-07-2009, 08:32 AM

baliator is on a distinguished road
For fast bt access, just click next to the battery bar, it shows clock and connectivity settings, then you are two clicks away from turning bt.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:34 AM

ok, thanks for your hint, but also 4-5 klicks necessary :(
But better than nothing!

Old 20-07-2009, 09:36 AM

baliator is on a distinguished road
You can also put bt on your shortcuts bar if you're using it, saves 2-3 clicks.

Old 20-07-2009, 10:37 AM

knew that, but not an option :(

Old 20-07-2009, 03:32 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifama View Post
G-Morning,

maybe someone can answer some question about the power consumtion of my nokia 5800.

when i have the choice between wifi and 3G data-connection (Application: Nimbuzz), which one should i choose in order to safe battery?

When i have bluetooth turned on, but no coupled devices, does this consume a lot of battery in this "standby" mode? I find it takes a lot of time to turn on/off bluetooth very often, because you have to go very deep in the menu to activate it. is there a way where i can turn on/off Bluetooth very quickly?

Thanks for answeres!
My own opinions are as follows:-

1. WiFi is faster and (usually) cheaper than 3G data. I doubt the power consumption is significantly different either way.
2. I prefer to leave BT enabled, and if no active communications is occurring, then it doesn't use much battery power.
3. If you get into the habit of charging your 5800XM every night when you go to bed, the battery life will be optimal.

There is an app called Nokia Energy Profiler, which allows you to compare power consumption with the various data methods enabled and disabled and I think a 5800XM version was recently released (and it's FREE!)

Last edited by dez_borders; 20-07-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Old 20-07-2009, 05:42 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifama View Post
G-Morning,

Thanks for answeres!

wifi is much more battery friendly than 3g. and think about it, 3g is connecting to a tower miles away. wifi only needs enough power for a couple hundred feet. if you load energy profiler you will find these results are true. wifi is better than 3g for battery.

and yes bluetooth is draining your battery if you just leave it on. think of it this way, instead of one radio turned on, you have 2 turned on, the cellular nad the bluetooth. turn it off to save battery.

you can do all these tests yourself for free, just install nokia energy profiler. brilliant app.

Old 21-07-2009, 09:38 AM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
I suspect that much like the iPhone, wifi is far nicer to the battery than 3G.

Old 21-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post
I suspect that much like the iPhone, wifi is far nicer to the battery than 3G.
On the subject of WiFi power, Nokia set the default transmit power to a rather O.T.T. value of 100mW

Menu-> Settings-> Connectivity-> Wireless LAN-> Options-> Settings-> Options-> Advanced Settings-> Yes-> Options-> Change-> Disabled-> TX Power Level->...
(phew! what a long set of key presses!)

You can change it downwards to 10mW or even 4mW with very little loss of range.

Old 28-07-2009, 07:02 PM

A$h X is on a distinguished road
Hi, I just got my 5800, and I am charging it for the customary 12-16 hours for it's very first usage.
However, I have noticed that when I attach the charger to the phone, it lights up and the battery icon shows it is being charged, but after around 30 secs the screen dims and then I can't really tell if the battery is charging or not.
Is this normal behaviour or do I have a duff battery/handset?

Old 28-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A$h X View Post
Hi, I just got my 5800, and I am charging it for the customary 12-16 hours for it's very first usage.
However, I have noticed that when I attach the charger to the phone, it lights up and the battery icon shows it is being charged, but after around 30 secs the screen dims and then I can't really tell if the battery is charging or not.
Is this normal behaviour or do I have a duff battery/handset?
The simplest idea is to put your handset on charge EVERY night when you go to bed and don't worry about battery charge levels.

Li ion batteries have the longest lifespan when topped up as often as possible.

Old 22-09-2009, 08:55 PM

Halk is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5800 Battery Not Holding Charge

Hi

I'm new to this sort of thing so I hope this is enough info.

I brought the Nokia 5800 about 6 months ago, however recently my phone doesn't seem to be holding it's charge. It will switch itself off half way through calls even if I have full bars on the battery indicator.

The battery indicator also varies from one bar to full bars on that single charge. I have a feeling this is due to a software issue and the battery not holding it's charge/charging fully due to what the phone is telling the battery.

Has anyone experience anything similar? Any suggestions?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I have a feeling this phone will leave the building sharply throught the nearest window if it turns itself off again.

Halk

Old 22-09-2009, 09:50 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Battery

Send me a SMS before smashing the thing through that window ! I'll be the first one to grab it ! Don't worry , used to play cricket .
When it is really a hardware issue , e.g. battery , maybe warranty will help .
Otherwise check your phone for the memory issue :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=84082

Maybe that will help ?

Regards jApi NL

Old 23-09-2009, 04:56 PM

Halk is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info.

I have already tried a system reset with no luck. Funnily enough last night I also deleted a load of files on the phone memory so I have now got 43mb free which is enough to speed it up a bit.

I'll try a local O2 quick repair shop but if all else fails I will give you a quick SMS so get your gloves ready!

Old 23-09-2009, 10:02 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Thanks !

Regards jApi NL