All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 PM

nbulp is on a distinguished road
It's gonna be hard for them to attract developers, though. There are too many competing platforms and it may (ironically enough) end up being bad for the end-user...

Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Unregistered

Nokia's market share will shrink even lower in the future...

Other manufacturers are already developing superior devices and software. What I don't understand, why does it take a super giant Nokia years upon years to bring something new to the market while a struggling company like Palm can make a new and innovative OS.

It will probably take Nokia 2 to 3 years to release OMAP 3 series on smartphones. Funny this CPU is not even mentioned by AAS in the PalmPre spec. Tech geeks deliberately missing out this detail? Nokia / Symbian bias?

Seems like my money is going elsewhere again.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

Doesn't sound all that innovative to me. What does the new OS do that Symbian doesn't for instance?

Also your point about OMAP3 is irrelevant (and inaccurate in my opinion). What is it that Nokia's current phones cannot do that more CPU power would then allow for?

We've already got 3D graphics with and without hardware acceleration and video playback.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Unregistered

Just watch the demo starting 18 minutes into the Palm press conference.

The phone is designed to multitask with the best notifications system ever seen.

The apps themselves multitask. Can the symbian email program have multiple windows where one is listing the inbox, another reading an email and then another window reply a completely different email? Can symbian show multiple windows of different sms conversations?

The Pre completely integrate messages/contacts/calendering from multiple accounts and show as one. Does S60 do that?

Palm got the touch ui with the seperate gesture area and multiple cards concept dead on.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Looks good! Lets just see if the reality is as good as the promise.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Unregistered

Compared to what's on the market now, Symbian looks incredibly dated. Nokias hardware looks best in my eyes but their OS is so dull.

I don't care about Pre though. I don't use Gmail and Facebook and don't like it's hardware. I'm in the market for an E51 successor. Hope they haven't scrapped that Stella from their roadmap.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nokia's market share will shrink even lower in the future...
"even lower"?

Nokia are at something like 35-40% of global phone sales, and they've more or less kept within that market share for the past five years. Their nearest rivals have always been on 10 - 20% at most (Apple is on something like 2%).

Quote:
Other manufacturers are already developing superior devices and software.
Funnily enough, Nokia are also already developing superior devices and software, that's how the manufacturing business works. :-)

Quote:
Compared to what's on the market now, Symbian looks incredibly dated
I think the widget desktop on the N97 looks pretty funky.

Quote:
Funny this CPU is not even mentioned by AAS in the PalmPre spec. Tech geeks deliberately missing out this detail? Nokia / Symbian bias?
(sigh)

I have never EVER seen a Palm or Windows Mobile or iPhone site accused of bias because they fail to cover Symbian devices.

If AAS was somehow anti-Palm we wouldn't be covering the Pre at all, but we are covering it, and saying it looks quite nice. I think that makes AAS much less biased than your average smartphone site.

But that's not good enough for you, you think because we didn't talk about its processor too we must be being bribed by some anti-Palm conspiracy.

What IS it with all these accusations lately that AAS is getting paid by Nokia? What would you like us to do to prove we're an independent site?

AAS has nothing against Palm (or any other OS), in fact AAS used to run a sister site called All About Palm before the platform went into hibernation. And as I keep reminding people, the journalists on AAS also write about other platforms for sites that are about other platforms.

The reason AAS covers Symbian so much is because... shock horror... this site is called All About Symbian.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 PM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
Tzer2 I think all the "fans" that doubt AAS integrity need an "audit" report to prove that there is no biasness...
Ads

Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 PM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The apps themselves multitask.
This is a misuse of the term multi-tasking.

I believe you are refering more to tasks and data being more seemlessly integrated, which is something entirely different.

Quote:
Can the symbian email program have multiple windows where one is listing the inbox, another reading an email and then another window reply a completely different email? Can symbian show multiple windows of different sms conversations?
For a start, there is no such thing as 'the Symbian email program'. That aside, the messaging application doesn't show these different views because it wasn't designed to, in the same way that any application can only display content in the way it was designed. There is nothing to stop an email application being written which has any number of windows that one so desires.

Quote:
The Pre completely integrate messages/contacts/calendering from multiple accounts and show as one. Does S60 do that?
I'm not sure entirely what you mean, but having all those on show at once doesn't seem very good use of screen real estate.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can the symbian email program have multiple windows where one is listing the inbox, another reading an email and then another window reply a completely different email? Can symbian show multiple windows of different sms conversations?
One of many things I miss from Series 80..

Quote:
Well, one area where both the iPhone and the Google Android G1 fail miserably at is in battery life.
As for the iPhone, it very much depends on what you do with it. For instance, music playback will last forever... My E90 would need at least two full charges to keep up. Overall, on 'average use' the iPhone is good for 3 days easily. My N95 8GB would only last two days with the same use.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Last edited by Raven; 11-01-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Dynite is right, the Symbian OS itself does allow those things, it's just the built-in Messaging application on Nokia phones is rather old-fashioned. There's nothing to stop companies writing properly integrated messaging and mail apps on Symbian.

That's why a lot of people have turned to third party S60 mail applications such as ProfiMail, though Nokia is now catching up with its own updated apps that are designed to replace Messaging.

The original reason why Messaging didn't do multiple windows etc was probably the physically small screens that S60 devices had, as they were more phones than PDAs. However the new bigger screen touch-based S60 devices should offer a lot more design options for SMS and mail clients.

Quote:
Tzer2 I think all the "fans" that doubt AAS integrity need an "audit" report to prove that there is no biasness...
They would just claim the auditors were being bribed by Nokia... :-)

It's the same sort of paranoid witch-hunt logic that Senator McCarthy used to use: assume everyone is against you, and when they deny it you must assume they're lying.

Seriously, anyone who thinks we're some kind of extension of Nokia's marketing department needs to read AAS's reviews more closely. Every single one of them highlights the failings of devices as much as their successes (and absolutely every device from every manufacturer does have notable drawbacks).

Quote:
For instance, music playback will last forever...
Pretty much all these new gen devices have massive playback times, the 5800 is rated at 37 hours (I think) and even the cheapo 5320 has 24 hours so at a couple of hours music a day you'd be listening for weeks (though the charge would probably leak out anyway if you wait that long). Apparently the dedicated audio hardware in newer phones helps to reduce the power drain of music player software.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Dynite is right, the Symbian OS itself does allow those things, it's just the built-in Messaging application on Nokia phones is rather old-fashioned.
It's funny how the Series 80 Messaging application was so much more advanced than its 'old-fashioned' successor...
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 12-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Unregistered

Tzer2, that's exactly what I'm saying. The default messaging program, it doesn't do those things. (Actually does any S60 client do it?)

On a desktop computer u can open up a zillion emails. But the built in symbian email/sms clients were designed in mind to INLINE do 1 thing at a time. Another one, if you open up a file from the symbian file manager, well you've basically locked it up. The file opens inside the file manager yet u can't run a second instance of file manager to look up something else. Quickoffice, you can't open up multiple files at the same time. (u can cheat by using file manager to open file 1 while u use quickoffice to open file 2)

Most symbian apps are very linear and inline in usage and design. This approach worked when as Tzer2 said but things change.

Suppose symbian/developers rewrites the apps. Well now you need a better way to manage & switch between whats open and once again Palm shows the way.

Dynite, if you watch the their CES press conference, you'll see what their multi account integration means. And its so clear they designed their apps/os with multitasking in mind.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:36 AM
Unregistered

Another one. Suppose you open up 3 web pages inside the s60 webbrowser and u switched away to do something else. Well holding the menu key only shows you got one web browser open but u can't directly switch to a specific one of the opened web pages as u got to switch it inside the web browser program.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
It's interesting to see that Palm, whose main claim to fame was to have a totally non-multi-tasking OS, are now being held up as the paragons of multi-taskng...

I suspect the restriction on the number of windows which Nokia Messaging opens is based on the same philosophy as only allowing Web to open one window (unless you use some workarounds), that is, to prevent stablity issues due to memory limitations; however, as S60 phones are being shipped with ever larger amounts of RAM and Internal Memory, these restrictions are starting to look both outdated AND unnecessary.