All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N70, N72 and N90

Old 23-12-2008, 03:32 AM

kurkosdr is on a distinguished road
Main Menu takes an eternity to load after swapping memory cards. Need to reset icons!

Hi there.

Yesterday, I had the stupid idea to swap the memory cards of my N70 (the "current" one with the old one, both of them with programms installed in them).
More specifically: I turned off the phone, removed the current card, put in the old one, and turned it on again. Of course, the icons of the installed applications got messed up, but this is not my problem.

When I tuned off the phone again and put the current memory card back in, besides the messed up icons (some of them remained in the positions I had defined though), the main menu now takes an eternity to load. Altought before I do the swap it was merely a matter of 5 seconds, it now needs more than a minute for the icons of the main menu to show up after boot, everytime! When I boot the phone without a memory card, the menu loads as fast as before.

How do I fix this?

I 've tried putting the icons back in their default positions, making a soft reset, but nothing. Now, I am thinking of reseting the icons of the main menu.

How do I reset the position of the icons of the main menu? Just like what happens when I do a hard reset (where all the pre-installed icons return to their default positions and all the icons of installed applications go to 'my own' folder)? (by the way, how does Symbian keeps record of the positions you have defined for the every single icon?)

Thanks a lot in advance

PS: Just don't reccomend a hard reset. There is got to be a way of just reseting the postitions of the icons to the defaults without deleting everything on the phone.
PS2: Also, if this causes the shortcuts of java apps to stop working, please tell me how to backup the shortcuts before resetting icons

Last edited by kurkosdr; 23-12-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Ads

Old 23-12-2008, 06:21 PM

kurkosdr is on a distinguished road
Ok, I found out the solution myself eventually. It seems that the file which keeps track of the postitions of the icons, got messed up during the swaps. I found out at symbian freak that this file is the C--> System --> Data --> Applications.dat , so I deleted it with Fexplorer (it got respawned later).

Now, all, icons are back in their default positions, and menu loads as fast as before. Since then, I know that everytime I swap cards with apps installed in them, always reset the icons...