All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 29-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Stereo Bluetooth Audio - the BH-501 reviewed

Krisse reviews Nokia's BH-501 Stereo Bluetooth (A2DP) headphones, a stylish, well performing and fairly cheap way of going totally wireless on your compatible S60 smartphone, although the accessory was not without a few quirks.

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-05-2007, 05:56 PM

paddytb is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve, further to my comment a few days ago about "all About s60", perhaps this is an example as you can use this accessory with Symbian UIQ3 phones too, not just a compatible s60 smart phone, - a casual browser of the site might not realise...

Old 29-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Good point. Although neither Krisse nor myself have actually tried it with a UIQ 3 device..... 8-)

Anyway, people know now!

Steve

Old 29-05-2007, 07:57 PM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
I sincerely hope there was just an error with the unit in this review in regards to automatic connections. I have been shopping around for this headset for a couple weeks now, and if all the 501's have this problem, it'll be a deal breaker for me.

I do however like that it can connect to two devices, even if there are "restrictions". Based on what this review said, I can connect them to my PC for audio and simultaneously connect them to my N95 for any incoming phone calls, which I'd probably miss otherwise.

Old 29-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Unregistered

Is it possible to "choose" which phone it connects to somehow. I mean you pair it with both phones, have both phones switched on with bluetooth on. But you decide which of the phones it connects to. Even better, switch beteen the paired phones. Reason I ask, is I currently have to carry 2 phones. 1 with peraonal sim and one with work sim. Would like to be able to use either whenever I want (My MDA Pro won't work well with a twin sim).

Though I am not expecting to be able to switch phones to pick up an actual incoming call as it rings... (Would be nice, but don't think anything like that exists)

By the way, don't suppose you could confirm if the E90 can work properly with a twin sim card (switches properly if you keep turning the phone on/off).

Thanks,

Zuber

Old 30-05-2007, 04:03 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"Hi Steve, further to my comment a few days ago about "all About s60", perhaps this is an example as you can use this accessory with Symbian UIQ3 phones too, not just a compatible s60 smart phone, - a casual browser of the site might not realise..."

paddytb, I agree that it would have been nice to test this with a UIQ3 phone but I simply didn't have one. :-(

However, I did actually publish this article in the UIQ3 section as well as the S60 3rd section ( http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/UIQ_3/ ) so anyone browsing for UIQ3 reviews on AAS would have seen this headphone review.

I did also try to emphasise in the text that these are compatible with any A2DP devices, even non-phones, and that's also why I mentioned using the BH-501 with a Series 40 non-smart phone as well as a Symbian phone.

"I sincerely hope there was just an error with the unit in this review in regards to automatic connections. I have been shopping around for this headset for a couple weeks now, and if all the 501's have this problem, it'll be a deal breaker for me."

I could not get the automatic connection to work with either a 5700 or a 5300. I tried lots of times, because I was very surprised that it didn't work. The 5700 and 5300 had no problems detecting the BH-500 automatically, but neither would detect the BH-501.

Bear in mind the 501 is a relatively cheap for a pair of bluetooth headphones, it's only about 45 euros plus VAT. By comparison the BH-500 (which does have automatic connection) is double that price. I'd strongly recommend the BH-500 actually, if you want automatic connections and bluetooth music controls.

"Based on what this review said, I can connect them to my PC for audio and simultaneously connect them to my N95 for any incoming phone calls, which I'd probably miss otherwise."

That's not what I actually said in the review. What I said was that if you have a audio-only A2DP connection from one device and a headset-only connection from another device, then the instruction manual says you can use both at once.

The problem with connecting it to the N95 or indeed any A2DP phone is that the A2DP connection isn't audio-only, it's audio and headset all at once. As far as I know you cannot connect A2DP headphones to an A2DP phone in audio-only mode.

"Is it possible to "choose" which phone it connects to somehow. I mean you pair it with both phones, have both phones switched on with bluetooth on. But you decide which of the phones it connects to."

Yes, you can do this by simply disconnecting the BH-501 from one phone through its bluetooth menu, then connecting to the BH-501 from the other phone's bluetooth menu. As long as both phones have already been paired with the BH-501, there should be no problem.

In fact, you have to connect through the bluetooth menus anyway as the BH-501 doesn't support automatic connections.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 30-05-2007, 06:06 AM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
I've considered the other Nokia and non-Nokia alternatives to stereo Bluetooth, but the 501 came out on top. I hate the idea of using any wires at all, so the 500 is out, and the 601 is as ugly as it gets.

I found a deal on a black pair of the 501's and I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know if I can get them to automatically connect or not. I'm sure you're right about it, since 99% of what I read in reviews from AAS is usually true, but I'm just trying to be as optimistically ignorant as possible.

Old 30-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Unregistered

"Yes, you can do this by simply disconnecting the BH-501 from one phone through its bluetooth menu, then connecting to the BH-501 from the other phone's bluetooth menu. As long as both phones have already been paired with the BH-501, there should be no problem."

Was kind of hoping it was possible from the Headset End (Hands Free). The phone side of the HTC Universal are awful. To switch, I have to goto the today screen (no bluetooth related options on teh phone screen). Select Comms Manager shortcut. Select the menu then the Bluetooth settings. Then select the paired device and Tap and hold. Then select connect handsfree.

Zuber

Old 30-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

"I'll let you know if I can get them to automatically connect or not. I'm sure you're right about it, since 99% of what I read in reviews from AAS is usually true, but I'm just trying to be as optimistically ignorant as possible."

All I can report is what I've seen. The 501 wouldn't automatically connect to a 5700 or a 5300, whereas the 500 did. If you can get it to work, please do let us know how you did it! :-)

"Was kind of hoping it was possible from the Headset End (Hands Free). "

There's no way to switch phones on the BH-501 headset itself.

Come to think of it, are there ANY A2DP headsets that let you do this?

Old 30-05-2007, 12:01 PM

ares is on a distinguished road
Nice review...

May i suggest you guys to review the SE hbh-ds970 bluetooth stereo headset also??? And the Moto S9??? Maybe a comparative review between the 3 would be nice

Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Apologies to everyone, not least Nokia. I was wrong about the BH-501's automatic connection, it DOES work although it works in a slightly quirky way.

With the BH-500 you just switch it on and it connects automatically. With the BH-501, you switch it on, wait a couple of seconds, then press the main button again briefly. This second press starts off the automatic connection.

I've altered the review and added a few points to the BH-501's score.

Sorry about this, it appears to be a case of RTFM on my part.
Ads

Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 AM

nwpsys is on a distinguished road
Great review, Krisse, and thanks for the correction.

I know the headphones have no player controls as such, but is there any way to pause playback from the headphones i.e. press the button that you would normally use to answer a call even though no call is coming in ?

That is the only remote control operation I would need so I can listen to guard announcements on trains

If not, I will have to check out the 500's, but I don't see the point of having BT headphones with any sort of wires

Cheers,

nwpsys

Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

"I know the headphones have no player controls as such, but is there any way to pause playback from the headphones i.e. press the button that you would normally use to answer a call even though no call is coming in ?"

As far as I could tell, no.

The only thing you can alter is the volume, using the two volume buttons. If you're not receiving a call, the call answer button is used for redialling the last number (or for switching the headphones off if you hold it down).

Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 AM

nwpsys is on a distinguished road
Thanks, krisse. Handy to know, and I can probably work around it, knowing my listening practices.

To be honest, I will use them more for watching video, which has got me thinking of another question.

Did you notice any lag when watching video i.e. the processing time needed for the audio signal causes lip sync in what is being watched. I know that some BT headphones are really bad for this, and wondered if you noticed anything when reviewing.

Thanks again, and I really think this is my last question

nwpsys

Old 16-06-2007, 03:22 PM

SsnickersS is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I have a question : I have problems when using BH501 and my N95 phone.
The musics is interupted (discontinuted) and there are some 'clang' 'clang' in the headset. And my N95 reboots sometimes, all alone !
The BH 501 works fine with another model of phone.
Bluetooth seems working on my n95 (exchanging data).

On the Nokia website site BH501 is not listed compatible with n95, but BH501 is advertised on the manual user of the n95 (that's why i have bought it).

Do you think my phone have a problem? Or i have to wait for a new firmware ?

Thank you.