All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-10-2011, 07:34 AM

boothy is on a distinguished road
FBreader ebook reader for Symbian

Hi All

FBreader have just released the latest beta for Symbian 3 (0.99.3) which has much better scrolling and installation is better.

This is a QT based app which allows change of scrolling a selection of fonts (dependent on fonts installed on device). I use droid serif which is very similar to my kindle font.

This is really early days beta (they plan to have finished product by the new year)but in my opinion its probably the best ebook reader for symbian 3 so far. The font rendering is realy good but it does have the edge on Albite as its QT based (not java) and the TOC implementation works great.

http://www.fbreader.org/symbian/

TOC = Table of Contents
Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 18-10-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Old 18-10-2011, 08:58 AM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

...thanks for these updates on ebook readers, much appreciated

Old 18-10-2011, 10:33 AM

hummrubb is on a distinguished road
Nice, almost as good as ZXreader, but it's still missing some key features for me. It doesn't have fullscreen viewing and the Preferences settings are even clunkier than ZXreader, if that's possible There are also no profiles so you can't set one setting for normal daytime reading and another for nighttime reading with larger fonts and a dimmed screen, for example.

I like being able to use custom fonts and setting a dark background with light text to save power on phones with AMOLED screens.

Old 18-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummrubb View Post
Nice, almost as good as ZXreader, but it's still missing some key features for me. It doesn't have fullscreen viewing and the Preferences settings are even clunkier than ZXreader, if that's possible There are also no profiles so you can't set one setting for normal daytime reading and another for nighttime reading with larger fonts and a dimmed screen, for example.

I like being able to use custom fonts and setting a dark background with light text to save power on phones with AMOLED screens.
Hi

There is a night mode (white text black background), you can use custom fonts (anything that is in the rsource\fonts folder of your mass memory) - I have copied droid serif which is similar to font used in my kindle. You can also change background colour in preferences with RGB sliders.

Boothy
Ads

Old 26-10-2011, 05:39 PM

Latest beta version of fbreader reports full screen mode - not tried yet
Boothy

Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
I love this Reader, I have been using it for a couple weeks now. its at

the first thing I did was change the Colours to white font and black background.

As to the Full screen, I love having the time and and my progress showing at the bottom.

Good Stuff
Love the Volume Control for the paging, as well as the NON-auto-rotation. Its nice to have it stay portrait so you can lie down or what ever.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 PM

Hi

I have partly jumped ship and also now have a samsung galaxy s2 which means I now have kindle on my phone but fbreader is still good in both symbian and android formats.

Boothy