All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 AM

jjkc is on a distinguished road
DSLR Control

Does anyone know of any DSLR control software for Symbian 3. There are a number of options on the Apple and Android - but as far as I can see nothing at present for Symbian 3.

many thanks for any thoughts and perhaps a direction to look.
j

Old 06-09-2011, 12:46 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Most SLR's work with Infra-red for remote control. There are virtually no modern phones made in the past year (including the S^3 ones) that has this capability. If you look at the iphone and Android ones, they require wireless (WIFI or BT) conversion into the camera using special kit including crap like plugging your computer into it. Unless you take these out with you including your computer on every trip, then there is really no point of that sort of software.

You are better off going to Deal Extreme and getting a $5 remote shutter than to even go down this path. Its really too bad that all the phone manufacturers have removed the IR ports from their phones. The only real one that I know with IR still was the Nokia N900 which had plenty of proper remote DSLR software on it.
Ads

Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM

jjkc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Most SLR's work with Infra-red for remote control. There are virtually no modern phones made in the past year (including the S^3 ones) that has this capability. If you look at the iphone and Android ones, they require wireless (WIFI or BT) conversion into the camera using special kit including crap like plugging your computer into it. Unless you take these out with you including your computer on every trip, then there is really no point of that sort of software.

You are better off going to Deal Extreme and getting a $5 remote shutter than to even go down this path. Its really too bad that all the phone manufacturers have removed the IR ports from their phones. The only real one that I know with IR still was the Nokia N900 which had plenty of proper remote DSLR software on it.
Rather than an IR interface I was thinking about the USB functionality - recently tried an Android App that connected to my Canon DSLR, a really great alternative to carrying around a laptop while giving you full control of the camera (as with EOS PC software).

Thanks for you reply.