All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Restricting ovistore downloads to Wlan ?

Hi All

Is there any way of making sure I only download from ovistore via WLAN? I have found that although I am connected to internet with wlan (next to router- 100%) that sometimes ovistore still downloads via wap. I have appropriate prorities set in destinations for wlan over wap.

I have noticed some of programs opening wap services and say receiving 10kb - is this usual ? I have found this with the dukto file tranfer utility - is this usual ?

Ovistore always seems to have a 10kb wap connection open

I have a data enabled contract and I do not download\stream a lot so this is not really a problem but I am always concerned\curious about device connecting without knowing why.

Sorry thats a few questions - Thanks in advance

Boothy
Ads

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 AM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Do you, by any chance, have a Vodafone branded N8?

Out of the box the connection settings are sub-optimal, you need to change them.

So Menu->Settings->Connectivity->Settings->Destinations

Is the tick shown by WAP services? You need to change that. Do

Options->Default Connection and select Internet when prompted.

Having put the tick by Internet you should select that to see the order of APNs under that connection.

I have my Wifi at priority 1, then contract internet, contract wap, payg internet, payg wap. You may want a different order. Anyway, to change the priority of an item you should do a long press on one you want to change.

A menu will appear, choose Change Priority.

Now select an item that you want to put your previously selected item ahead of.

You should see the ordering change. If you get it wrong, just keep doing the above until you have the APNs in the order you wish.

Regards
Neil

Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 AM

MontyN95 is on a distinguished road
I have also noticed that some apps connect over 3G even when in my home wifi. Under active connections, I notice that it says it's widgetUI that's connecting but can't say for sure which particular wisget it is. Sometimes, it also has (unknown) so ofcourse can't know what is connecting.

I have pretty much resigned with trying to find out what is connecting and when so I don't let it bother me too much anymore.
There's an app current'y in Nokia Beta Labs that annalyzes connections and one of the promised features is it'll allow you to know what is connecting and when by actively monitoring your APs. Just waiting for that now.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Hi Neil

I had already had destinations set - but I have recently had the device reflashed at care scentre and default connection was reset to wap - completely missed it - changed back and now it seems fine - thanks for that

Boothy

Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 AM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Aha. That's interesting. Something to look out for after software upgrades as well by the sounds of things.

Regards
Neil

Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM

torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyN95 View Post
I have also noticed that some apps connect over 3G even when in my home wifi. Under active connections, I notice that it says it's widgetUI that's connecting but can't say for sure which particular wisget it is. Sometimes, it also has (unknown) so ofcourse can't know what is connecting.

I have pretty much resigned with trying to find out what is connecting and when so I don't let it bother me too much anymore.
There's an app current'y in Nokia Beta Labs that annalyzes connections and one of the promised features is it'll allow you to know what is connecting and when by actively monitoring your APs. Just waiting for that now.
you can change internet settings to WIFI only in home country... obviously that might have the effect on disallowing certain apps to access net information.

i rarely use it because things like SKYPE, WLM etc are free on my network and don't eat into my data allowance (which is nice).

Old 13-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyN95 View Post

Hi MontyN95

Is this the app you were talking about?

link:http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia...ivity-analyzer
Boothy