All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
HX7 on the i8910 HD gets Qt built-in

There's a surprise release from arch-Samsung i8910 HD-modder HyperX and his helpers today, in that there's a brand new version of HX7 out this morning. In addition to all the other customisation and battery saving goodness in HX7, the QT 4.6.2 Symbian^3 QT libaries are now integrated - seems like this device is getting closer and closer to the Symbian^3 spec of devices like the Nokia N8?

Read on in the full article.

Old 26-07-2010, 08:29 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Hey Samsung, you had the chance to be proud of having the best Symbian phone available. Shame it had to be left to some (brilliant) bloke working out of his shed (figuratively) to pick up the ball you dropped and score goal after goal.

If it wasn't for HyperX and the other gifted ROM chefs, your forgotten product would have been dumped by a lot more disgruntled users (myself included).

Old 26-07-2010, 08:56 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Why don't we get such custom roms for old Nokia phones. The ones that Nokia forgets after 2 years.

Old 26-07-2010, 09:12 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh View Post
Why don't we get such custom roms for old Nokia phones. The ones that Nokia forgets after 2 years.
Count your blessings. Samsung forgot about the i8910 while the shrink wrap was still warm!

At least Nokia (almost always) stand behind their products, updating firmware and bug fixes. No, they're not perfect, but they are miles better than Samsung in this regard and sometimes even listen to the customers (stop laughing, its true).

Old 26-07-2010, 02:33 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Nice! I'll have to give it a whirl on my Omnia, and place a few dollars in the 'donate' bin.

Seriously, THIS is the OS development speed, matching Android, that the Symbian Foundation and Nokia should be on, not an update every other year, maybe.

Old 26-07-2010, 11:38 PM

mattrad is on a distinguished road
Wow, that seems a lot slicker than the stock Italian firmware that I received on my i8910 HD. Perhaps I should have saved it from eBay!

Nice work

Old 27-07-2010, 12:01 AM

faenil is on a distinguished road
hi Steve,
could I know why my email was ignored while hyperx's work was published?

I sent you an email two days ago telling you that I had made a wonderful userfriendly installer that made QT libraries 4.7.0beta2 available to ALL NON NOKIA smartphones...One-click installer written in C++ by madhacker, a friend of mine...

now, two days after (strange) hyperx includes Qt 4.6.2 into his firmware, and this becomes an important news?

Please clear my doubts, steve...

thanks
Ads

Old 27-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Email? Nothing in my inbox from you. Or in Gmail's spam folder.

Old 27-07-2010, 10:24 AM

SWR is on a distinguished road
Firmware Upgrade

I'd love to be able to do this, but am stuck in a loop with installing the Samsung PC Suite. It says it will go over older versions, but fails because it has detected an older version!!! Then when I try to remove it, via Control Panel, it re-starts the installation process and gets back to the same place. I've manually deleted all parts of the programme I could and done a reg clean, but there were some files which wouldn't allow deletion. Any hints or tips, anybody? I'm doing this on a PC running XP with SP3. Thanks

Old 27-07-2010, 10:30 AM

faenil is on a distinguished road
I used the submit news form, the same form I used when you answered me the first time...

is there any other email I can use? I'll send you the same mail again.

Old 28-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Administrator

The Submit news form? No idea where that goes to!!! Probably to Rafe. I vaguely remember that he forwarded me something from you that first time.

My email address is slitchfield@gmail.com - please use that in future to get to me!! 8-) or @stevelitchfield on Twitter or Facebook. Thanks.

Old 28-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Gerii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWR View Post
I'd love to be able to do this, but am stuck in a loop with installing the Samsung PC Suite. It says it will go over older versions, but fails because it has detected an older version!!! Then when I try to remove it, via Control Panel, it re-starts the installation process and gets back to the same place. I've manually deleted all parts of the programme I could and done a reg clean, but there were some files which wouldn't allow deletion. Any hints or tips, anybody? I'm doing this on a PC running XP with SP3. Thanks
Wasn't a good idea to manually remove it. You normally need the exact same installation package to uninstall it properly - for example if you had version 7.2.20.9 installed, you need this package to uninstall PC Studio: http://rapidshare.com/files/25605077....20.9.exe.html

But you don't necessarily need the PC Studio to update your phone. Just follow this guide: http://hx-custom-roms.com/?cat=8

Old 29-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Samsung PC Studio

Thanks for the link and the info! When I get some free time I'll give the HyperX update a go (sweaty palms time!!! I've done plenty of firmware updates, but never anything as system-deep as this). Glad it doesn't depend on PC Studio.
For that I still have a fallback of installing on my daughter's PC. Then all I have to do is to see how I get rid of the unwanted bits on my laptop.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Mod Firmware i8910

Managed to get everything sorted out. PC Studio magically started its uninstall routine which allowed me to reinstall successfully. I also installed the HyperX package and got HX-V7 black pearl installed. Everything looks great. Now I have to find a way to get my battery to last more than a day! It's really impressive how a community has taken over the manufacturer's work. The only things I'm missing from the new firmware are a standard choice to change the quickstart buttons along the bottom of the screen and a way to add applications to the list under the HXPatcher for left and right swipe. The list is a standard one which doesn't (as far as I can see) scan what is installed on the phone. Or am I missing something?