All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The application store dilemma of volume, discovery or curation.

How long would it take you to find some who has “made a success” out of an application store for any mobile device? Not long, I would think, because these stories are picked up and passed around to “prove” that App Stores work. A case in point is this post on Into Mobile, highlighting the success of an app for Google Android with 6,500 paid for

downloads, earning $13,000. But is that the way forward?

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

Think of an idea that you feel might be useful but you've never heard of and you think might be a gap in the market. Put it into an Apple Appstore search and you will find several already done and there will be free one.

It's a repeat of the cycle that happened 1980 to 1985, in those days teenage bedroom coders could write apps for 8 bit home computers and the odd one would be a hit and make a shedload.
Then the big software companies start throwing big teams of ace coders at it, raising the stakes and changing the market.

It's not easy to come up with standalone apps when so many useful ones have cloud infrastructure behind them.

There is a whole book available about making money from mobile apps. It is still a lucrative area for those who are prepared to think a bit harder.

I operate with a number of others, effectively as a team with skills in different areas and attempt to cover all platforms. I don't think I could be effective working alone.

At the moment we find:

Apps Store: Saturated. Not at all inviting for developers of new apps to be put out to sell on their own merits, however - there is good business to be had from non-software businesses wanting iPhone apps, developers can seel their services to them.

Android: Dead flat. Why is this having so much trouble taking off?

Symbian: Coding for Symbian isn't the simple and pleasant experience that you get using XCode with the iPhone SDK. However, many are put off, taking the lazy path of least resistance. Consequently, there are still a few seams of opportunity to be dug. The very large user base and the fact that the Apple App store publicity has generated interest in downloading Apps on other platforms means that those prepared to get over the first hump, can be rewarded if their efforts are up to scratch.

WindowsMobile: This one is still quite useful. Still space for new ideas,growing interest in apps as with Symbian.

WebOS. I haven't even bothered to look at WebOS.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM

j d is on a distinguished road
I think the best way to find applications will always be on the web, not on the store.

I think what these big app stores need is an affiliate system which allows bloggers (like aas) to post links to quality apps and recieve a small proportion of the sales.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

With all due respect, I disagree. I'm no reflexive Apple fan, but they deserve credit on this one: they figured out that if you make it easy to get applications onto your phone vial centralized, department store type virtual location, make it simple for developers to get paid and by having a review quality control process, making sure that all applications meet a minimum level of usability quality, the customers will come.

One of the issues Nokia/Symbian/Ovi needs to square away, and quickly, are the issues with device disparity and fragmentation. From what I've read, creating an app for Ovi means testing your app on God knows how many devices (and device capabilities, OS and feature pack versions) Nokia still supports, vs. just the one platform for Apple.

Look, developers are looking for a return on their time and investment; like all businesses, they want to make money. If you can show them that they can potentially get very rich creating apps for Ovi, they'll come.

Making the 'for-the-greater-good' argument isn't going to move a developer, who has overhead costs just like any other business.

Hey for myself, Nokia, if you can find a way to bring me a Zagat's Restaurant GPS guide for the entire U.S., it'll be all good. The ones for Android and iPhone are pretty great and work in some pretty obscure parts of New York that I've been in, including local cafes.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:30 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
i dont know if this relates to this article, but one thing i've been annoyed with lately is the fact that i have TOO MANY things to do on my phone...too many apps. on a typical instance i dont know whether to open gravity and read my twitters, facebook and google reader, or to open google maps and check out the latest buzz posts in my area, or wheter to just open opera mobile and read some blogs in the traditional sense, i.e. web browser, and even then do i go to mobile sites or full version of the sites?

my point is that i dont know that i necessarily like all these segregated apps on my phone. dont get me wrong, there is a place for a single-purpose app like an accuweather app specifically to quickly check the weather. but for most other functions on the web, honestly its too much overload for me sometimes. i literally could spend 8 hours going thru all of the available channels for obtaining information that my phone gives me access to. and dont get me started on the podcasts! if i decide to update some of my podcasts feeds, then i would be there for days with the amount of audio content that app pulls down in just a single day.

i guess its stupid to complain about this, right? but i almost wish we could just have a super powerful web browser combined with a web 2.0 type interface.
Ads

Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
i dont know if this relates to this article, but one thing i've been annoyed with lately is the fact that i have TOO MANY things to do on my phone...too many apps. on a typical instance i dont know whether to open gravity and read my twitters, facebook and google reader, or to open google maps and check out the latest buzz posts in my area, or wheter to just open opera mobile and read some blogs in the traditional sense, i.e. web browser, and even then do i go to mobile sites or full version of the sites?

my point is that i dont know that i necessarily like all these segregated apps on my phone. .
Tumblr ?