All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Gerco is on a distinguished road
McGuider versus Sygic Mobile Maps 2009

All,

I wanted to share some useful info with you regarding the move from McGuider to Sygic Mobile Maps.

As my N97 was replaced, I had to reregister my McGuider as my device code had changed. The previous time, I contacted TeleAtlas about this, and they sent me a new Activation Code when I moved from my N95 to my N97.

I now contacted them again and they informed me that McGuider is no longer supported by them. I asked them whether there is an update or upgrade possible from McGuider to Mobile Maps to still have an option to receive support (as I have the original software). TeleAtlas however told me that I would have to contact Sygic support for a new Activation code and that buying Mobile Maps was the only option.

I then contacted Sygic, within hours I received an answer that allowed me to reactivate my maps on my new phone, and they also told me that TeleAtlas was wrong and that an update from McGuider to Sygic Mobile Maps was free for download at Sygic.

So whoever has the official McGuider software, you can contact the Sygic support team to receive an update to Sygic Mobile Maps for free! So do not contact TeleAtlas in this, as they will try to sell you the new product.

I am really impressed by the Sygic support team. I received answers to my emails almost instantly (on working days) and their support is professional, quick and helpful. Instead of moaning about companies, I think it is also good so now and then to mention companies who do their jobs really well. So:

Way to go, Sygic!

And no, I am not in any way affiliated to this company, just a very satisfied customer...

Old 28-12-2009, 08:39 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile McGuider Exit

Thanks for the info , Gerco . It seems McGuider is exit now .
Sygic Mobile Maps is sold for the main OS's , like Symbian , Windows , Android and iPhone . Not for Maemo yet ...
Can you confirm , that SMM is not using TeleAtlas (= TomTom) Maps anymore ? If so , what maps are they using now for their application ?

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 28-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Gerco is on a distinguished road
Sygic Mobile Maps still uses TeleAtlas maps. The McGuider maps can still be used and they still use the brand TeleAtlas on the splash screen.