All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-08-2007, 01:44 AM

sudiptasingh is on a distinguished road
Question 3.5mm Stereo Output on Nokia E90

I love my E90... however, I don't like the earpieces that ship with the set. While they are functional, and the radio sounds great, I would really prefer to be using my Bose QC headphones for listening to music.

Using a standard 2.5 mm to 3.5mm converter (RadioShack) I get sound only in one channel. Looking at Nokia's site - all the stereo adapters available seem to be for phones with Pop Ports.What am I supposed to be using? Is it that the FM antenna and Microphone connections somehow mess with using the 2.5 mm jack as a standard stereo output?

I tried using the adapter, and then with a 2.5mm "standard" headphone(EarGlove) -- same story , sound only in 1 channel. I am tired of looking for these adapters in RadioShacks, CircuitCities, and other electronics stores.

Any suggestions?

regards,
Sudipta

Old 27-08-2007, 07:59 AM

jah is on a distinguished road
The Nokia AD-50 is what you need. See here: AD 50

Old 27-08-2007, 09:02 AM

KamHo is on a distinguished road
There must be some quite subtle differences in the length of the contact points of the various adaptors. I am able to use a generic one I bought in Maplins, and have read other posts from people some saying they can and some saying they can't use a standard adaptor.

Old 27-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Someone else's experience with AD-50 - I am just concerned that I will have the same trip even though he is talking about the E62......

"...the Nokia.ca site stated they were compatible with my phone. The speakers came with an AD-50 adapter to connect the 3.5mm speakers or headsets to the 2.5mm adapter of the E62. When I plug in the adapter, the Phone says "Enhancement not supported" Is there some sort of firmware upgrade or software update I can apply/install so that the adapter is recognized? Is there something to configure on the phone? "

"Thank you for e-mailing the Nokia Care Contact Center. We understand that when you connect your the Nokia Mini Speakers MD-4 and the Nokia OEM 2.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Adaptor AD-50 to your Nokia E62 device, the phone displays "Enhancement not supported". John, to better assist you, it is necessary to research this issue, to obtain additional information. Please allow 5-7 business days to receive our information and respond to your inquiry. Thank you for your time and patience."

I suspect they are going to come back and say the AD-50 doesn't work with the E62 because it needs a three ring connector not two (which the AD-50 has).

Old 27-08-2007, 10:25 PM

KamHo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudiptasingh View Post
I suspect they are going to come back and say the AD-50 doesn't work with the E62 because it needs a three ring connector not two (which the AD-50 has).
The AD-50 has just 3 electrical connections, but is intended to adapt ordinary headphones to work with Nokia 2.5mm headset sockets which have 4 electrical connections, and so I would think that it ought to work. This is precisely what the Maplins adapter I bought does.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:27 PM

dheerpat is on a distinguished road
hi sudipta.

kidhar se ho

...u know i was similarly frustrated searching for adapter...nd guess what ..a cheap 45 rupees 2.5 to 3.5 converter pin solved my problem....nd how..of course it wont work as microphone...but then u wil enjoy excellent music quality ..u can find this pin in local electric shops ,..just connect it and message will appear enahancement attached select headphones...i got creative in ear phone and music qulity is superb...can connect external speakers too,,,,

Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 PM

Thumbs up Nokia AD-50 Adapter works!

Thanks jah for the AD-50 tip.

I bought one on e-Bay, and plugged it in. Can definitely attest that it works great on my E90+Bose QC-2 Headphone combo. One other plus point is that the radio application still works as well (ie. the phone doesn't complain that the antenna is missing) and I get great STEREO FM.

The MP3 Music player quality is great, would love to be able to crank up the volume a little more than is possible... but hey...

I'm lovin' it.

Regards
Sudipta

Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM

maheshgoyal is on a distinguished road
Help

Sudipta, could you, please tell me, which seller, you bought it from, so that I will also buy it from the same one, to avoid, one channel problem, also, have you been able to play youtube video's on your E90, I have not been able to do that.

Thanks

Mahesh
Ads

Old 26-05-2008, 12:28 AM

wecaz is on a distinguished road
Hi friends,
I have few doubts. It this AD50 durable enough? Is the sound stereo?

Thanks.