All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-10-2002, 01:33 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
blueTooth and Nokia 7650

(Source from www.Symbian.Info, translated by ME )

The Nokia 7650 is the first Symbian device which supports Bluetooth.
Bluetooth is a technique that enables you to establish wireless connections to devices like PDA's, mouse's, keyboards, headsets and many more. (For more explicit information check the Bluetooth website here.)
There still seems to be a lot of issues and questions resolving Bluetooth, not even the suppliers have all the answers. How to install Bluetooth for use with the 7650 was for many suppliers a mystery. The search terms '7650' and 'Bluetooth' at symbian.info seemed to increased rapidly over the last few days so we decided to write this article.

Connections.
Like all other Symbian devices you can connect your device to you home PC to backup or sync your data.
To do this using Bluetooth you'll need a USB->Bluetooth adapter.
Bluetooth offers 2 types of connections: a simple client/host connection and a serial Bluetooth connection.
The first option provides you the possibility to directly upload your images taken with the 7650 to your PC (assuming you are in a 10 meter radios of your PC). You can also install downloaded 7650 applications from your PC directly on the device. This type of connection is the easiest and is supported by most Bluetooth adapters.

Synchronisation
Synchronisation means "creating one updated file using 2 files located on 2 different devices". Example: At home you use Outlook for your contacts. But you also want these contacts on your 7650. And if you add a new contact to your 7650 you want that contact in your Outlook to. When you sync your 7650 and Outlook all the contacts will be updated so that both of the devices contain all the current information.
The Nokia 7650 has 3 possible ways to sync with your desktop, SyncML, Bluetooth and Infrared. In this article we are going to explain the Bluetooth connectivity.
To synchronise using Bluetooth you'll need a Bluetooth adapter which can establish a serial Bluetooth connection. For the purpose of this article we use the 3Com 3CREB96-EU. This device supports all possible Bluetooth connections. There are many other good Bluetooth adapters but we use this one because we wanted to make sure we were compatible with Windows XP.

Installation

Step 1.
Close all programs on your PC when possible, in particular software like Anti-virus and Firewalls.
Before you do this you better make sure you've downloaded all the latest and correct drivers.

Step 2.
Connect the USB adapter with you USB connector in your PC.
Windows XP will automatically search for updated XP drivers. This can take a while. Please follow the instructions given by Windows XP, including installing the updates!.

Step 3.
Install the software included with your Bluetooth adapter (in our case the 3Com software).

Step 4.
Make Bluetooth active from menu. (TIP: when you press in the code *#2820# when the phone is in Standby you'll get the unique Ibluetooth address which can later on be used for extra security so your neighbours can't use your connection. Read about it in the Help of the PC Bluetooth software.)

Step 5.
On the Nokia 7650: make Bluetooth active in CONNECT and give a name for the device (see the manual). Make the phone 'visible' in the CONNECT->Bluetooth menu. At this moment the PC and the 7650 should find each other. You will now have the possibility for 'pairing' this means that from now on the 2 devices will automatically identify using a password that both devices share. This is a easy way to increase the security in your newly created Bluetooth intranet. You can now share files from one device tot he other. Technically everything is possible but only a few options are build in, the advanced Bluetooth users can try software like eFilemanager which will give you the possibility of exploring the 7650 system.

Step 6.
PC Suite installation.
Before you can backup and sync you'll have to install PC suite which is provided by Nokia and normally included with the phone. It is advised to first check on the Nokia website for newer versions of this software.
Before you install PC suite make sure your Bluetooth connection is active and connected to the device.

Step 7.
After installation, PC Suite will send a small file to your Nokia. This should happen in a matter of seconds, just wait this through. At this point Pc Suite is up and ready to fulfil your sync and backup needs.

Troubleshooting
If PC Suite only reports already used com ports, you'll have to force the Bluetooth application automatically to login with the Nokia 7650, this automatic login option should be in the Com port menu of your Bluetooth application. You could also try to manually select the correct Com in PC connect.

We wish you the best of luck, and please pass on the knowledge. Working with Bluetooth is fun and easy and above all FAST.

Old 09-10-2002, 09:21 AM

twingo2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Dazler, this is really helpful. Ian

Old 09-10-2002, 11:11 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
No problem.
This are other Bluetooth threads for the 7650: http://www.allabouter6.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1441
http://www.allabouter6.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2873

Just post all other Bluetooth threads here so people don't have to go and look for them

Old 10-10-2002, 07:08 PM

http://www.allabouter6.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3075

Old 14-10-2002, 10:41 AM

woolordy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info but!

I have the 3COM dongle,
I Installed the 3COM drivers and Software. The software allows me to send files to the 7650.

However i cannot get the mRouter to detect any connections. And if i press the check flag on COM3 it says it cannot connect and it may be used by another application as you write in your trubbleshooting.

In the Bluetooth Connection manager i tried to set COM3 both to prompt and to 'Select Now' but still mRouter for PC Suite wont find it.

I need PC Suite to sync with outlook.

Anyone had that problem or more info on how to make it work? I attached a print of the desktop to help.

Woolordy
mtj@tdc.dk

Old 14-10-2002, 11:11 AM

jbbandos is on a distinguished road
Check this one http://allabouter6.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3129, it looks to me that what is happening to you is similar to what happens to me with a MSI dongle, which might point towards a problem on the 7650.
Ads

Old 05-05-2004, 01:36 PM

ramji is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolordy
I have the 3COM dongle,
I Installed the 3COM drivers and Software. The software allows me to send files to the 7650.
I too have the same problem. The reply by jbbandos giving the URL does not seem to work, since I keep getting a blank page.

What was the solution to this problem of COM3 port? My problem is similar.

Ramji

Old 13-05-2004, 07:32 AM
CuongLe

Problem with Bluetooth 7650

Hey guys
this is Cuong from- VietNam- im having a problem in my 7650
whenever- i switch on- bluetooth- it says "Unable to perform Bluetooth Operation" and if i go the pairing menu and add a new device- it says "System Error", i reset the phone today to the factory settings and format phone, but the same problem :(

I took out the mmc card and then also the same problem :(

Please help me guys :(

Cuong

Old 13-05-2004, 08:42 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
If a format doesn't help, I'm afraid you need to take/send it to a Nokia authorized repair center. I don't know if there is one in Vietnam (try asking local shops that sell Nokia phones where they send them to be repaired, if you can't find the right place otherwise).

Old 15-05-2004, 02:45 PM

auenf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuongLe
Hey guys
this is Cuong from- VietNam- im having a problem in my 7650
whenever- i switch on- bluetooth- it says "Unable to perform Bluetooth Operation" and if i go the pairing menu and add a new device- it says "System Error", i reset the phone today to the factory settings and format phone, but the same problem :(

I took out the mmc card and then also the same problem :(

Please help me guys :(

Cuong
umm, you took the MMC out of your 7650?

Enf...

Old 30-11-2004, 01:06 AM
johnbheller

belkin bluetooth and xpsp2

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get my belkin usb gongle working with my 7650 yesterday.

Model is F8T001. Rang up to 100 metres apparently!!

Anyway after stuggling with virtual serial ports that never allowed connection to the phone, I searched the belkin site and found that there is an alternate driver avialbe for download, but was also included on the driver cd, to fix service pack 2 issues.

It is an unsigned driver which is located in the same directory. The instruction on the belkin site were in french...which I failed miserably in high school, but the screen shots were in english so no problem to follow.

After the driver update, i removed and readded the 7650 from the bluetooth connection mananger. The bluetooth software made new serial ports, com 8 and 9 in my case, and I had no more problems connecting to the phone.

My version 3.16 rom had no bluetooth options screens apart from the connection folder. Don't know if this feature was added later, or if the previous owner deleted the icon.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:40 AM

ardudi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazler

The Nokia 7650 is the first Symbian device which supports Bluetooth.
Bluetooth is a technique that enables you to establish wireless connections to devices like PDA's, mouse's, keyboards, headsets and many more. (For more explicit information check the Bluetooth website here.)
There still seems to be a lot of issues and questions resolving Bluetooth, not even the suppliers have all the answers. How to install Bluetooth for use with the 7650 was for many suppliers a mystery. The search terms '7650' and 'Bluetooth' at symbian.info seemed to increased rapidly over the last few days so we decided to write this article.

Connections.
Like all other Symbian devices you can connect your device to you home PC to backup or sync your data.
To do this using Bluetooth you'll need a USB->Bluetooth adapter.
Bluetooth offers 2 types of connections: a simple client/host connection and a serial Bluetooth connection.
The first option provides you the possibility to directly upload your images taken with the 7650 to your PC (assuming you are in a 10 meter radios of your PC). You can also install downloaded 7650 applications from your PC directly on the device. This type of connection is the easiest and is supported by most Bluetooth adapters.

Synchronisation
Synchronisation means "creating one updated file using 2 files located on 2 different devices". Example: At home you use Outlook for your contacts. But you also want these contacts on your 7650. And if you add a new contact to your 7650 you want that contact in your Outlook to. When you sync your 7650 and Outlook all the contacts will be updated so that both of the devices contain all the current information.
The Nokia 7650 has 3 possible ways to sync with your desktop, SyncML, Bluetooth and Infrared. In this article we are going to explain the Bluetooth connectivity.
To synchronise using Bluetooth you'll need a Bluetooth adapter which can establish a serial Bluetooth connection. For the purpose of this article we use the 3Com 3CREB96-EU. This device supports all possible Bluetooth connections. There are many other good Bluetooth adapters but we use this one because we wanted to make sure we were compatible with Windows XP.

Installation

Step 1.
Close all programs on your PC when possible, in particular software like Anti-virus and Firewalls.
Before you do this you better make sure you've downloaded all the latest and correct drivers.

Step 2.
Connect the USB adapter with you USB connector in your PC.
Windows XP will automatically search for updated XP drivers. This can take a while. Please follow the instructions given by Windows XP, including installing the updates!.

Step 3.
Install the software included with your Bluetooth adapter (in our case the 3Com software).

Step 4.
Make Bluetooth active from menu. (TIP: when you press in the code *#2820# when the phone is in Standby you'll get the unique Ibluetooth address which can later on be used for extra security so your neighbours can't use your connection. Read about it in the Help of the PC Bluetooth software.)

Step 5.
On the Nokia 7650: make Bluetooth active in CONNECT and give a name for the device (see the manual). Make the phone 'visible' in the CONNECT->Bluetooth menu. At this moment the PC and the 7650 should find each other. You will now have the possibility for 'pairing' this means that from now on the 2 devices will automatically identify using a password that both devices share. This is a easy way to increase the security in your newly created Bluetooth intranet. You can now share files from one device tot he other. Technically everything is possible but only a few options are build in, the advanced Bluetooth users can try software like eFilemanager which will give you the possibility of exploring the 7650 system.

Step 6.
PC Suite installation.
Before you can backup and sync you'll have to install PC suite which is provided by Nokia and normally included with the phone. It is advised to first check on the Nokia website for newer versions of this software.
Before you install PC suite make sure your Bluetooth connection is active and connected to the device.

Step 7.
After installation, PC Suite will send a small file to your Nokia. This should happen in a matter of seconds, just wait this through. At this point Pc Suite is up and ready to fulfil your sync and backup needs.

Troubleshooting
If PC Suite only reports already used com ports, you'll have to force the Bluetooth application automatically to login with the Nokia 7650, this automatic login option should be in the Com port menu of your Bluetooth application. You could also try to manually select the correct Com in PC connect.

We wish you the best of luck, and please pass on the knowledge. Working with Bluetooth is fun and easy and above all FAST.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:43 AM

ardudi is on a distinguished road
Address Book synchronization

Dear Dazler,

I am trying to write my own Address Book synchronization application, running in embedded system over Bluetooth. Any ideas where I can find usefull hints and references for such an application ?
Dudi

Old 03-04-2005, 02:43 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Start with Bemused source code (it handles all the phone and PC comms details over Bluetooth already, so you can use it as a starting point): http://bemused.sourceforge.net/

Old 16-04-2005, 11:57 AM

rash is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth

My bluetooth refuses to work. it says 'unable to perform bluetooth operation' Does anyone know whats wrong with it?