All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-07-2002, 09:11 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
FAQ: Blueooth and the Nokia 7650

What Bluetooth features does the Nokia 7650 have?

You can send/receive files (images, business cards, calendar items, notes, etc.) between two Nokia 7650 phones or between a Nokia 7650 and another compatible Bluetooth device.

You can connect the Nokia 7650 to a compatible Bluetooth-enabled PC to download e-mail, browse the Internet, send faxes or synchronise the calendar and contacts data.

Which Blueooth profiles does the 7650 support?[list][*]Generic Access Profile,[*]Service Discovery Application Profile, Serial Port Profile and Generic [*]Object Exchange Profile[*]Dial-Up Networking Profile and Fax Profile (phone used as a
Gateway)[*]Object Push Profile[*]File Transfer Profile (phone used as a Server)[/list:u]
Note: No headset profule, therefore no bluetooth headsets, this seems to be a software issue. Nokia could upgrade, but are unlikely too. The 7650 supports Bluetooth.

Blueooth hardware confrmed to work with 7650
Please note that this is gleaned from forum / newsgroup posts. Just because a device isn't here doesn't mean it wont work, I just haven't seen any info on it. The 7650 can theoretically use any card that supports the Serial Port Profile...[list][*]General 3 Com Bluetooth cards (but possible problems with using as high speed modem[*]3Com USB Adapter (3CREB96-EU) (thanks TrickLo)[*]Nokia Connectivity Card DTL-4[*]TECOM BT3030 (Thanks to fabiom)[*]TDK Systems Adaptors (see http://www.no2wires.com/ ) (Thanks to pylon)[/list:u]
There may be problem with the following:[list][*]ComOne Bluetooth card M310 (a PCMCIA card) Send File
feature was not possible From/To the Phone (thanks TrickLo)[/list:u]
Helpful links
Nokia Bluetooth Knowledgebase

Bluetooth or IR for the 7650?
Given that these are the only two connection methods which one should you use? This answer is in the forums (thanks ebo): Bluetooth is somewhat faster and a LOT easier to use, because you don't need a visual contact. With Bluetooth you can have the phone for example in your pocket as long as it's in the ~10 meters maximum range. Because you don't have IR or Bluetooth built-in in your PC, you need an adapter. Unfortunately Bluetooth adapters are more expensive than IR adapters. There are adapters that can with be used via USB interface and PCMCIA slots. USB adapters are cheaper. See here for more.

Please add to this thread with any information you have.

Old 23-07-2002, 07:51 PM

Re: FAQ: Blueooth and the Nokia 7650

TECOM BT3030 also works with Windows 2000.

With Mac OSX there is some 7650 crashes in file transfer but Apple bluetooth driver are in preview release.

FabioM.

Old 25-07-2002, 04:12 PM

pylon is on a distinguished road
TDK Systems has added compatibility information regarding 7650 to their excellent website: http://www.no2wires.com/

The phone is compatible with TDK's adapters.

Cheers,
pylon
happy owner of 7650

Old 27-09-2002, 09:13 AM

chfats2000 is on a distinguished road
Tecom not working at all, fabio m. suggest wrong?

I would like to know how fabiom suggest thet BT3030 is working, for me and other just working 1 way: PC to 7650, but noway from 7650 to PC.

Is fabiom over here and can help?

I have WIndows XP PRO...

really appreciate!

Old 27-09-2002, 09:23 AM

Merlin is on a distinguished road
Could people please post where they bought their PC Bluetooth adapter, how much it cost them and any problems getting it to work?

Thanks

Old 27-09-2002, 10:24 AM

AnlaShok is on a distinguished road
I've just ordered an Innovision WaveLinker USB Bluetooth adaptor from Dabs.com for 25 + VAT (tax). Dabs QuickLinx code is 24ZVWS.

More information here:
http://www.ivmm.com/eio/products_wave_link.html

As a bonus it looks cool too

I'll have to let you know how well it works.

Old 27-09-2002, 10:28 AM

Yup, looks good. Supports Obex and Serial port so, from the general gist of the forums, it should be ok.

Any others?

Old 28-09-2002, 10:30 AM

wahchild is on a distinguished road
I got the 3Com USB Adapter (3CREB96-EU) from www.microwarehouse.co.uk for 83

works a treat - once you read the instructions and read-me files properly ops:

Old 28-09-2002, 11:31 AM

erhum is on a distinguished road
I know I have mentioned it elsewhere ... but I thought it should be added to the FAQ here (since this is all about BT)

How to set up BlueTooth connections to iPAQ and other devices ... I am no expert but I found this article seemed to explain it all http://www.wirelesssoftware.info/articles/bluetooth4nokia7650ipaq/

Old 28-09-2002, 12:11 PM

J2theIzzo, perhaps it would be an idea to add some of this thread into the faq file, under a bluetooth section, if you've not already planned to do so.

Old 28-09-2002, 12:17 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
J2theIzzo, perhaps it would be an idea to add some of this thread into the faq file, under a bluetooth section, if you've not already planned to do so.
I'm working on it as we speak.
Ads

Old 30-09-2002, 09:43 AM

CiaranMcNulty is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth

I've tried the following adaptors:

MSI Bluetooth Trancieving Key:

Works ok with the Nokia Data suite under Win2k and can send files to the phone but has problems recieving files sent from the phone.

Mitsubishi Bluetooth Adaptor

Works well with sending files to and recieving files from the PC, but doesn't seem to be able to interoperate with the Nokia Data Suite due to the way COM ports aren't activated until a device requests a connection.

-Ciaran

Old 30-09-2002, 10:38 AM

AnlaShok, did you finally receive your Wavelink BT Adapter from Dabs and have you had a chance to try it out yet?

Old 30-09-2002, 11:33 AM

ephebe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
AnlaShok, did you finally receive your Wavelink BT Adapter from Dabs and have you had a chance to try it out yet?
I'm waiting on one of those too. Apparently they will be in stock within three to four days. I'll post on the compatability, if no-one else has by then.

Andy

Old 30-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
dubs.com is uk only,they do not diliver internationaly,right?

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.