All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: Nokia E72 - part 2: Camera, Media, Applications, Round up

In this, part 2 of my Nokia E72 review, I look at its camera functions, multimedia handling and general applications, before rounding it up. Is it fully useable and does it measure up to the 2009 competition? See also part 1 of the E72 review, looking at its hardware and performance.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Arrow

I'll follow up with my own view of the E72 in due course, but what I will say is that its my primary devices (or more accurately one of them) at the moment.

Unlike Steve I've had no issues with Nokia Messaging or Exchange (use both), which of course makes a big difference.

There are some early bugs (e.g. space bar and keyboard not keeping up if you type very fast), but they haven't been show stoppers for me. So yes updated firmware is needed (what phone doesn't seem to need it these days). As is typical in these situations you'll find and 80/20 rule (or similar) - 80% of people will probably be quite happy, but 20% wont (and they'll be vocal about it)...

What I like about the E72 is the form factor and design. There's not a great deal of difference from the E71 and that was another favourite device. The good news is that with no fundamental hardware issues in my opinion (maybe the bottoom of the front over time, maybe battery cover could be better) the device, with software updates, should become another block buster.

Old 17-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Unregistered

Ooh soo true.
The OS is pretty 'ok' ... with some issues, but the Nokia Messaging app is a big step BACKWARDS from the Nokia E71's version of NM. It needs an urgent release of a big update.

You 'forgot' to mention that the header-part of an e-mail view looks terrible. Labels like 'From:', 'To:' etc and it's contents are on different lines (like if the screen is too small for the application) and those lines are also separated by empty spaces ! Also there is no default 'HTML' view for e-mails.

And this for a phone that should be a Nr 1 Messaging device. Nokia really needs to kick some butts in their organisation.

Old 17-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

Navi Key

Hi Steve,

If you disable the navi-key, in the camera mode, just press and hold the d-pad to focus and release to shoots the photo.

Love your review too

Old 17-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

QVGA is so outdated, Nokia really needs to up the resolution and screen size, my old E70 has better resolution then the current crop of S60 3rd edition phones.

12 seconds to process a photo, non-usable software, inconsistent ui and the usual mishmash of folders typical Nokia right now.

Nokia is still releasing beta firmware to consumers have been for a long time.

Old 17-12-2009, 01:43 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
QVGA is so outdated, Nokia really needs to up the resolution and screen size, my old E70 has better resolution then the current crop of S60 3rd edition phones.
lol

Thank you for the review, the phone seems so disappointing. Between the E71 with v400 and the E72, wich one would you pick?

Last edited by rafiii; 17-12-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Old 17-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Ian22

QVGA is unusable for me (web browsing is extremely uncomfortable, fonts and icons are ugly and blocky etc.), my old E60 had much higher screen resolution. Is Nokia walking backward? Did they see Blacberry screens last 2 years?

I recommend using Profimail for email - Nokia Messaging is ugly, confusing solution, lacking many features (IMAP idle etc.). Too bad S60 does not allow selecting default system email program (or web browser), bit even Messaging is not main system email.

Old 17-12-2009, 02:17 PM

Kikuyumoja is on a distinguished road
Great review, agree on most items. Especially the "divorce" of the optical key from other operations while in camera mode.

I don't know if it's language-pack related, but my custom version is 021.024.203.04 (shipped two weeks ago) and the processing of images doesn't take 12 seconds. Instead, the camera is rather quick. So maybe they've already done something about it.

Else, I'd love to see Nokia becoming serious about their Ovi store and taking the 100 best iPhone / Android apps and porting them to S60 (where possible).

Coming from an N95, I still think the E72 has a superb calling quality. So as a phone - at least - it's good.

Old 17-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Missed Opportunity

Well I had been waiting for the second part of this review and it just sums up my fears for Nokia as a manufacturer. They never ever learn!! I was weighing up the E72 against the BB9700 and to be frank all the forums have reinforced your review that it is a buggy and poorly prepared product. I tried one in store in Middlesborough last week and the battery cover has got to be a deal breaker as it doesn't look like it will last 18 months.

I cannot believe that in a phone whose prime goal is messaging and email connectivity that the Nokia messaging client is so poorly set up and unusable. The failure of it to be able to synchronise calendars, contacts in google is nothing short of a major error.

Again I so deperately wanted this to the handset for me but it just looks as if it is another half baked Nokia product. The future for Nokia must be very uncertain if this is the future standard of their products in 2009/2010. However regarding releases with buggy or unfinished devices and firmware Nokia are not on their own and that may ultimately be their saving grace.

A real pity
Martin

Old 17-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
With regard to the camera speed, I've done a power off/on cycle and processing speed for each image is now back to a reasonable 3 seconds. Phew - something was obviously 'up' in the OS. I've removed this sentence from the review now.

Old 17-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Unregistered

What Nokia is produced right now is rubbish, both in software and hardware, the glory days of the e51, e61, e70, e90, n73, n82, n93 and the mighty n95 are over.

They use to stand for innovation and quality, but the latest phones ship with beta firmware, underpowered hardware and faulty hardware nee the current "flagship device" the n97 and the "successor" to the n95 that was the forgotten n96.

The e72 fails, email is laughable when Steve can't even go beyond the setup screen, it's obviously got buggy firmware, and while Nokia have updated the CPU, camera and included a 3.5mm headphones jack what about the most important aspect the bloody screen QVGA at end of 2009. It's competing with Blackberry who have smartly moved onto 480 by 360 pixel screens.

Nokia what the flapping hell are you doing?

Old 17-12-2009, 06:41 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Having switched from the E71 I am slightly bemused by the new folder system. Folders such as Games and GPS appear to be locked in the Applications folder whereas on the E71 they could be moved around at will.

Yes, I know I can create new folders for them in the Root folder but I then lose the icons.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Old 17-12-2009, 07:20 PM
fusioned

What's wrong with the email?

I put in my Gmail details, and I have push-email Gmail straight away! Heck I receive notification of emails via my E72 minutes before the desktop notification happens.

I've also been synchronising contacts, calendars etc via bluetooth and my laptop with no issues, in fact, it's been working pretty smoothly.

Again, as per usual with any device, however new or old, YMMV.

Old 17-12-2009, 08:58 PM

mhero is on a distinguished road
Just bought the e72 yesterday and Iīm amazed, itīs a spaceship compared to my old N82 I was using before. The camera is really good, better than I expected!

The build quality and design is beautiful, a little light leak under the home button, but thatīs only because Iīve read that other people have been complaining about it, I wouldnīt have noticed it otherwise.

The email set up is the best Iīve ever used on a cell phone, I just put up two mail accounts and then the mails started to drop inte to the mail boxes . I donīt care about the mail exchange stuff though, never had, donīt like microsoft shit.

qwerty keyboard is wonderful and my space bar is working good so far, battery cover is not that loose as some say, I doesnīt bother me anyway.
The optical navi key is really nice when using it in the nokia browser, itīs just a bit tricky to get the techique right, but when learning it, it works like a charm !

I was really about to buy the e71 when it came out, but refused since the camera seemed so poor, I got a plastic n82 instead (which is a great smartphone but has the look and feeling of a soap dish) . The e72 has a very nice design and when the battery life of an iPhone/Android-device has ran out, the e72 just keeps going for some days more !

Old 17-12-2009, 09:29 PM

mushroom_daddy is on a distinguished road
Well I think I'll stay with my E71, other than an improved camera there seems little reason to (and several against) make the change. An improved (MfE compliant) Email client was what I was really hoping (and expecting) that the E72 would deliver; without that it can never really be considered a business device. Come on Nokia -- Wake up and smell those blackberries!