All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-08-2002, 07:22 AM

cmatthee is on a distinguished road
Strange battery life

Hi all

My 9210 has a very strange behaviour when it comes to battery life. :cry:

When I originally got the 9210, the battery life was much shorter than expected. Sometimes I would get to the phone in the morning and the battery would be totally flat, even though there was lots of power the previous night and the phone part was off. I had to recharge every day or two.

Somehow, this problem fixed itself, and the battery life appeared as expected from the capacity of the battery and the published specifications.

Now, the problem is back. It started when I opened Vexed to have another go at level 30. Suddenly the program was terribly slow (and I do mean slow). It appeared that the opl engine had a problem. I uninstalled both Vexed and the opl engine (had to reboot several times to finally get both uninstalled). Since then I have the battery life problem. The battery now lasts approximately 24 hours. I have to connect the phone to the charger every night, or the battery will be flat the next morning.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Old 20-08-2002, 08:41 AM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
Maybe Vexed is vexing the machine

Even these new fangled batteries can do with the occasional run down-run up combos. Give that a try, it may work.

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 20-08-2002, 08:51 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
First question is what version of the firmware are you using?

Secondly, make sure you are using the latest release of the OPL Runtime engine (link should be in the Vexed Readme.txt file). If you are running an older verion than that used to compile Vexed, then it may cause problems.

Thirdly, how often are you using the phone as a phone, and as a PDA? How many files do you keep open (the more open , the more battery needed)...

And yes, I'd cycle the battery like Tanker suggests as well.

Now, how about Suicide Vexed where every game somehing nasty happens to your machine...
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 20-08-2002, 09:53 AM

Some answers

I'm running firmware 4.13.

I don't think that the current problem is opl or Vexed related. Vexed was running yes, but since then, I have uninstalled both programs and they are not on the system at the moment. One of them could have started some process that is draining the battery, but that would surely not survive a couple of reboots.

I'm currently using the phone more as a pda than as a phone (except during weekends when the phone is used a lot). I do realise that using the phone and pda part drains the battery faster. That is not the problem. The battery appears to be drained with no use of the phone, e.g. during night time when all that must happen is the alarm must wake me the next morning).

I normally do cycle the batteries during weekends. Maybe I just have a bad battery. I think I should do some load testing on the battery and see what happens.
Ads

Old 20-08-2002, 09:58 AM

Suicide vexed

Ewan, I don't think we need a suicide vexed. There are enough so called shareware applications available that will do something nasty to your phone. Some call it features.

Anyway, the current version can be called suicide vexed. It is the feeling one gets when the level can not be completed.

Old 20-08-2002, 10:14 AM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
I thought the recycle the battery thing only applied to NiCad batterys, not LithiumIon.

In fact, I have a vague recollection of reading that they "prefer" to be topped up regularly. i.e. They have a longer lifespan if you recharge from 50% regularly than if you recharge from 10% regularly.

That does not mean that you should be paranoid about never letting it go flat by the way.

Zuber

Old 20-08-2002, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Li batteries are odd beasts, they can give more current than their NiMH and NiCad counterparts and suffer none of the memory effects (Please someone explain that to "The Link" they keep telling my parents and sister when buying a new phone to the treat the battery like a NiCad ) Things to remember that heat will effect the battery life, the power is released from a chemical reaction in the battery, so if it's hot the reaction will be faster and it'll drain faster. I also shut down any of the Nokia apps that have no close option when I'm done with them by using Ctrl-Shift-Chr-K in order to make sure that the 9210 isn't trying to keep lots of stuff in RAM.

One last note is not to give the battery any shocks, I once dropped in my laptop while it was in it's special padded protective bag, but the shock still damaged the battery leaving it with 10 minutes life from a Li battery the size of 2 9210s :-?. Another option is to buy another battery, or borrow one from a friend and see if that runs down as fast, if so it may be a fault in your 9210 rather than the battery.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 24-08-2002, 06:09 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
My 9210 run about 5 days at normal tempature, but when it get's to hot it will drain from full power to zero in less than 1hour.

Old 27-08-2002, 02:45 PM

AAY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazler
My 9210 run about 5 days at normal tempature, but when it get's to hot it will drain from full power to zero in less than 1hour.
Wow, I didn't know heat could affect battery life that much... Just out of curiosity, how hot is hot? Have you bothered checking out the temperature in Netmonitor when this happens?

Old 27-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
I don't know how hot is hot enough for the 9210, but I know I can kill my MiniDisc player in half an hour when it's only around 30 degrees centigrade. Well it's in the low 20s outside and in my pocket must be getting up near 30 not that it's known to reach 30 degrees in the UK.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 27-08-2002, 04:23 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
I can tell you it happens on hot days and not all the time, It happened once when I came back from cycling (it's hanging on my belt in the black leather nokia thing) on a hot sunny day, and once when I left it in the car in southern France (about 38degrees celsius)